Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

July 6 - Carnival Sunshine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You are going to be there Saturday July 8. I would do a taxi tour to get the most out of your day. I suggest skipping the caves. They are no big deal. Or else just go to the beach for the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I strongly disagree. A taxi from Dockyard to Crystal Caves will cost about $75 including tip for 1 -4 passengers. The return about the same. And after spending all that money you don't gain a huge amount of time (maybe 30 minutes in each direction) versus taking taking the ferry and bus because the caves are on the opposite side of the island.

Regardless, for someone have only one day in Bermuda about the last place I would recommend going is the caves. You'll end up spending all your time travelling without knowing what you're travelling through, and underground in a cave, which could be anywhere in the world. There is nothing about the caves that says "Bermuda".

A five hour taxi tour would cost $250 for 1 -4 people, 6 hours for $300, and you could see a heck of a lot more of Bermuda in the process, and a good guide will tell you about everything you see and recommend where to stop and spend some time during the tour.

I thought of the caves because of my teenage son. I figured he would like it. That and the beach. Having been there before, I've done tours. Not sure my son is interested in riding around all day looking at sites as opposed to seeing the caves and enjoying a beach. Hence my plan. I'm not stuck solid on Warwick. I can go to another beach, but I know horseshoe is crowded. Those are the only beaches I really hear alot about. Oh and tobacco bay. I have no idea where any of these places are.

I thought of the caves because of my teenage son. I figured he would like it. That and the beach. Having been there before, I've done tours. Not sure my son is interested in riding around all day looking at sites as opposed to seeing the caves and enjoying a beach. Hence my plan. I'm not stuck solid on Warwick. I can go to another beach, but I know horseshoe is crowded. Those are the only beaches I really hear alot about. Oh and tobacco bay. I have no idea where any of these places are.

You could just go to the beach. Do the walk from Warwick to Horseshoe. It's a great walk.

I strongly disagree. A taxi from Dockyard to Crystal Caves will cost about $75 including tip for 1 -4 passengers. The return about the same. And after spending all that money you don't gain a huge amount of time (maybe 30 minutes in each direction) versus taking taking the ferry and bus because the caves are on the opposite side of the island.

Regardless, for someone have only one day in Bermuda about the last place I would recommend going is the caves. You'll end up spending all your time travelling without knowing what you're travelling through, and underground in a cave, which could be anywhere in the world. There is nothing about the caves that says "Bermuda".

A five hour taxi tour would cost $250 for 1 -4 people, 6 hours for $300, and you could see a heck of a lot more of Bermuda in the process, and a good guide will tell you about everything you see and recommend where to stop and spend some time during the tour.

I totally agree with the above. I had no idea a taxi would be that expensive. When we went in June 2016 we did do a private tour for the four of us. It was very nice and informative. I have been to the Crystal Caves twice. They are very nice but not the first thing I would recommend to do in Bermuda. Even though I am not really a beach person the beaches are incredible.

I do agree that the caves are not the first thing I would recommend - I've never been myself because I don't think my knees would be able to do all the steps. There are things you can do right there at the port or nearby - you could take one of the shuttles to Fort St. Catherine, and there is also a beach there. You could go to the Maritime Museum which is right beside the dock. And you can take the ferry to St George or Hamilton. There is a walking tour of each place which you could do. There's also the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) in Flatts Village, and I always like the tour of the Botanical Garden and Camden (the official residence of the Premier of Bermuda).

But if you get a blue flag guide, he (or she) will be able to customize the tour to see whatever you have in mind to see and do whatever you would like to do. So if you son wants to do the caves, you can do that. If he wants to visit all the Forts on Bermuda, or all the lighthouses, or take a tour of the beaches, you can do that.

I have been to Bermuda six times (four times on a cruise), but I'm not a beach person, so I have never been to the beach in Bermuda. I have also never run out of things to do and see. I've had a private guide twice and each time I saw things that I did not know were there.

Edited by grandmaR

I do agree that the caves are not the first thing I would recommend - I've never been myself because I don't think my knees would be able to do all the steps. There are things you can do right there at the port or nearby - you could take one of the shuttles to Fort St. Catherine, and there is also a beach there. You could go to the Maritime Museum which is right beside the dock. And you can take the ferry to St George or Hamilton. There is a walking tour of each place which you could do. There's also the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) in Flatts Village, and I always like the tour of the Botanical Garden and Camden (the official residence of the Premier of Bermuda).

But if you get a blue flag guide, he (or she) will be able to customize the tour to see whatever you have in mind to see and do whatever you would like to do. So if you son wants to do the caves, you can do that. If he wants to visit all the Forts on Bermuda, or all the lighthouses, or take a tour of the beaches, you can do that.

I have been to Bermuda six times (four times on a cruise), but I'm not a beach person, so I have never been to the beach in Bermuda. I have also never run out of things to do and see. I've had a private guide twice and each time I saw things that I did not know were there.

Thank you for providing this information. See, I had no idea there was a Maritme museum close to the dock. And I will check out St. Catherine. May I ask what about the caves people dislike? I went to them on my first visit and was fascinated. I was an adult. I just thought it would be something neat and different for my son to see. We've been to so many islands. Bermuda has some unique features. I've always considered the caves one of those. I do know that we are not really sit on a bus tour type people. I would much rather pick one or two spots and spend a couple of hours and see things along the way rather than ride around on a van all day. All of us have done that many times. With only one day, we absolutely must have some beach time. I didn't realize Warwick bay was over 8 miles away from the caves and swizzle. After doing more research last night, I feel like I do need to tweak my plans. I will check out the places you suggested. Thank you so much.

Thank you for providing this information. See, I had no idea there was a Maritme museum close to the dock. And I will check out St. Catherine. May I ask what about the caves people dislike? I went to them on my first visit and was fascinated. I was an adult. I just thought it would be something neat and different for my son to see. We've been to so many islands. Bermuda has some unique features. I've always considered the caves one of those. I do know that we are not really sit on a bus tour type people. I would much rather pick one or two spots and spend a couple of hours and see things along the way rather than ride around on a van all day. All of us have done that many times. With only one day, we absolutely must have some beach time. I didn't realize Warwick bay was over 8 miles away from the caves and swizzle. After doing more research last night, I feel like I do need to tweak my plans. I will check out the places you suggested. Thank you so much.

I have been to the caves and I guess the reason they are no big deal to me is that I have been to several spectacular caves in the United States. So the Bermuda caves were nothing in comparison. Not unique to me. If you think they are something your son would like then by all means do them. You could do the caves and some time at a beach not far away but I would pick Tobacco Bay over St. Catherine as there are amenities there. Not even a bathroom at St. Catherine. Or nearby the caves is John Smith's Bay which is a South Shore Beach. There is a porta potty there and lifeguards. It is a nice beach. The issue there is that taxis won't be waiting there unless you arrange for one. We managed to flag one going by when we were waiting for the bus and got impatient waiting but I don't know if we were just lucky.

Edited by Charles4515

I have been to the caves and I guess the reason they are no big deal to me is that I have been to several spectacular caves in the United States. So the Bermuda caves were nothing in comparison. Not unique to me. If you think they are something your son would like then by all means do them. You could do the caves and some time at a beach not far away but I would pick Tobacco Bay over St. Catherine as there are amenities there. Not even a bathroom at St. Catherine. Or nearby the caves is John Smith's Bay which is a South Shore Beach. There is a porta potty there and lifeguards. It is a nice beach. The issue there is that taxis won't be waiting there unless you arrange for one. We managed to flag one going by when we were waiting for the bus and got impatient waiting but I don't know if we were just lucky.

Tobacco Bay and John Smith's. Great! Gonna check those out. I have heard of Tobacco Bay. Are the waters rougher/calmer in some bays than in others? Thank you guys so much. Being very helpful!

Tobacco Bay and John Smith's. Great! Gonna check those out. I have heard of Tobacco Bay. Are the waters rougher/calmer in some bays than in others? Thank you guys so much. Being very helpful!

John Smith's has waves. It was not very rough but I imagine it could be sometimes. That could be a reason there are lifeguards. Tobacco Bay is sheltered so it is calmer than others. Also Tobacco Bay is good for snorkeling. There is coral and fish. You can rent snorkels and masks if you don't have your own. Your son might enjoy that.

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you for providing this information. See, I had no idea there was a Maritme museum close to the dock. And I will check out St. Catherine. May I ask what about the caves people dislike? I went to them on my first visit and was fascinated. I was an adult. I just thought it would be something neat and different for my son to see. We've been to so many islands. Bermuda has some unique features. I've always considered the caves one of those. .

Caves are semi-unique for an island, but Barbados also has very nice caves, and there are caves on Curacao also. I have been to the Barbados caves twice (they have electric trams), but not to the ones in Curacao for the same reason I haven't been to the caves in Bermuda - too many steps, and in the case of Curacao, they were also very hot. We just stayed at the top and waited for the people on our excursion. I have also been to Carlsbad Caverns in the US and I don't think the Bermuda caves would compare.

It is true that the beach at Ft. St. Catherine doesn't have amenities, but the fort itself is interesting. There are several forts on Bermuda. The Maritime museum was the Royal Navy Dockyard. It has an actual Water Gate. I have a page on Bermuda http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/55f/ with photos from the six visits.

In can no longer post photos here because Google has changed my photos so they do not have a .jpg extension. But here is a link to the photos of the first private tour I took in November 2011. It was quite windy and I think some beaches were closed. Mostphotos are labeled, but the label is on the bottom left corner so you have to look for it.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106980008852702705641/album/AF1QipNZwUT78k80kNuydeHSCIZT2vmF-HwJrn7S5lqS

Edited by grandmaR

In can no longer post photos here because Google has changed my photos so they do not have a .jpg extension. But here is a link to the photos of the first private tour I took in November 2011. It was quite windy and I think some beaches were closed. Mostphotos are labeled, but the label is on the bottom left corner so you have to look for it.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106980008852702705641/album/AF1QipNZwUT78k80kNuydeHSCIZT2vmF-HwJrn7S5lqS

John Smith's Bay is in one of your unlabeled pictures.

Here is a summer view.

6cf63222201fef82d92c1b10d559a03f.jpg

Tobacco Bay below.

0270c8f691ff8ee04cf32461c17c2a32.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for identifying it. I did have a blurred photo of the sign, but we might have gone past it by the time I took the photos, so I wasn't sure.

I've only been to Bermuda in the summer once, and that was in 1963. The other visits have been October, November, Thanksgiving. In 1995, 2004 and 2007 it was nice weather. In 2011 it was quite windy, and in 2013 we were chased out by a hurricane

In 2013 we took a carriage ride around the Dockyard area

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106980008852702705641/album/AF1QipNUpiDHAJmEcVdJNJD85fKq7OaOz8leCXb2DLS1

In 2004 we were in Bermuda for three days and one day we went to the Maritime Museum (2nd visit - first one was 1995) and the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute which not many people visit - I thought it was a waste of time and money, but some people might like it. They have a huge collection of shells from all over the world

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106980008852702705641/album/AF1QipO1h8-Wlz12idFq8rqtWmpjABiPHLg9GK4CoO4y

We spent a day in St. George

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106980008852702705641/album/AF1QipMURymDjUK6z_0Qvrv0oae91hzUhPQI3mNOFoNo

Another day we went to Fort St Catherine and the RR museum (the RR museum has closed)

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106980008852702705641/album/AF1QipM6UD7My8ipOr22kxWt6QbFm1OhiYUMywkUaAXZ

Edited by grandmaR

I had a private guide in 2011, but he has retired, so he is no longer available.

I also had Lewis Foggo in 2013. But I think the question of whether to have a private guide or not is one that might be considered as part of this topic

• 4 weeks later...
Looking to do a island tour any suggestions?

There are the suggestions in this thread that you might book in advance or you can find a taxi tour when you get to Bermuda. What are called Blue Flag taxis whose drivers have been trained to do tours. There are also minibus tour operators who solicit business at the Dockyard.

I emailed a couple of the ones mentioned on here but never received any responses.

Which ones did you email and when is your sailing? How long ago did you email them? Since it is very off season right now some of the private guides may be on vacation.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
Are the blue-flagged taxis easy to identify? Out ship docks in Hamilton. Does anyone know if they are available there as well as the Dockyard?

You could make a reservation with one of the guides/driver identified in this thread. The more popular drivers are reserved early so it would be best to reserve ASAP.

If you don't want to do a reservation, they were called blue flag taxis because the taxi would actually have a blue flag attached to the hood hence the name. Now adays they have a badge to identify themselves. Just ask the driver for his badge. There is a taxi stand close to where you wll be docked.

BlueFlagBadge.jpg

Picture was originally posted by a member whose name I can not recall at this time.

SBtS

Are the blue-flagged taxis easy to identify? Out ship docks in Hamilton. Does anyone know if they are available there as well as the Dockyard?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They have been available there. I took one from right in front of the cruise terminal on Front Street. You can also call one of the taxi dispatching companies and request one for a taxi tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could make a reservation with one of the guides/driver identified in this thread. The more popular drivers are reserved early so it would be best to reserve ASAP.

If you don't want to do a reservation, they were called blue flag taxis because the taxi would actually have a blue flag attached to the hood hence the name. Now adays they have a badge to identify themselves. Just ask the driver for his badge. There is a taxi stand close to where you wll be docked.

BlueFlagBadge.jpg

Picture was originally posted by a member whose name I can not recall at this time.

SBtS

Thank you so much. The info and picture are very useful to me. I will be asking for the blue badge.

Thank you so much. The info and picture are very useful to me. I will be asking for the blue badge.

I was the one who posted the photo. Lewis Foggo (the guide in the photo) said that the blue flags that were originally used were too easy to conterfit so they issued the badges. There may also be a decal on the window