Cruises to Cuba?

volvo99

I was lucky enough to be there with my Dad when I was only 4-6. I remember the beaches, the cars (low riders even then), the friendly people, the wonderful friends (children of the locals that I played with, 2 that I still have contact with), the food! My Dad still raves about the coffee and cigars (but he does like the DR ones alot now). I would love to see it open before I loose my Dad. I would book a cruise for the both of us in a minute! In fact, I will book us a plane/hotel trip even before all the cruise line details get worked out. Dad says the Key West /Cuban packages will be a major new income for the KW people. But Raul may keep any of this for happening for a long, long time. I hope not more for the people of Cuba than for my desire to return. Some have family they have not seen for 40 plus years. That is just too sad for me to even imagine.

So you heard of the Key West/Cuban packages too!?!

I haven't read too much here or on other forums, regarding this. I really wish for you, and all the other Cuban Americans (my assumption!), that you can some day return to Cuba... without all the sanctions and penalties.

As a Canadian, who is planning our 5th visit... Cuba and the Cuban people are the reason we return to this beautiful country! From what I've read... Raul is more accomodating than his brother... so it may happen quicker than we realize! If you can... try to visit as soon as possible... before it becomes so modern... we won't recognize it!

:o

FWIW, here in PR, tourism industry people are scared for the day Cuba can become an American destination again because it'll pull the rug out under our industry...

If you don't mind me asking... what exactly does "FWIW, here in PR" mean exactly? And what you mean by "pulling the rug out under our industry"?

I think PR means Puerto Rico... but I just might be having a blonde moment, though!!!

:D

I went to Cuba in 1998, pretty simple to get a plane from Cancun. No, they didnt stamp my passport. I was given a paper "visa" to carry around. I was also there, briefly, in 1969, courtesy of a hijacker. Didnt get to leave the airport, though.

And they would need a lot of work to bring in cruise ships. Havana makes Haiti look like Beverly Hills. It will take a few years to clean up and build something, but the potential is there.

That couple was wrong ... when they return to the U.S. they're in for some rather unpleasant surprises if a Cuban stamp shows up in their passport.

For some interesting reading and insights, take a look at ... http://www.state.gov/www/regions/wha/cuba/travel.html

You are definitely correct... the Cubans do not stamp passports!!! They encourage Americans to visit. We've been four times... and my passport has no Cuban stamps.

Okay, U.S. citizens do find ways to go to Cuba ... my point is that it's illegal to go there without going thru channels. I guess the main issue: it's illegal for U.S. citizens to spend money there.

Please don't misinterpret my post as criticism of those who've gone to Cuba ... I could go on and on about our government's policies on Cuba, but it would likely get me on the do-not-fly list and get my phone line tapped by the NSA.

Okay, U.S. citizens do find ways to go to Cuba ... my point is that it's illegal to go there without going thru channels. I guess the main issue: it's illegal for U.S. citizens to spend money there.

Please don't misinterpret my post as criticism of those who've gone to Cuba ... I could go on and on about our government's policies on Cuba, but it would likely get me on the do-not-fly list and get my phone line tapped by the NSA.

What? you think it isnt already? :eek:

Anyone who is not paranoid, just doesnt have all the facts. :D

As a sixty-year-old fan of all those old 50's Lucy and Ricky TV shows . . . I would love to go to Cuba. I just can't understand why this embargo has lasted for as long as it has . . . especially with the Soviet Union, China and East Berlin being places I've visited on several occassions (I was flight attendant for over twenty years and have been all over the world).

It's just so hard to believe that somewhere 90 miles off the coast of Florida is still off limits after all these years. Years ago . . . when I was in grade school and high school and used to hide under school desks in Florida during air drills I sort of understood (Bay of Pigs and Missiles of October). Now, my son who is a helicopter pilot with the Coast Guard, spends weeks at Gitmo in Cuba (he's based at Air Station Miami) and I have friends in Canada who love to spend a week or two at various resorts in Cuba. They rave about how beautiful the beaches are, how nice the people are and never once have I ever heard anyone mention anything about the government there.

Would never go there illegally (hey, I'm an attorney now) but I can you that once the embargo is lifted . . . I'll be on the first cruise ship to stop there!

I agree--give it a few years. That Fidel probably only has a few more left in him anyhow. I would go ASAP once it opens up though. The charm of the old 50's cars, etc. will be taken over by Walmarts, Holiday Inns, and McDonalds. As a twentysomething,I really don't understand the whole situation. I mean the Soviet Union went away when I was in 5th grade. Why are we so concerned with this little island with, well, not much on it in the way of industry, military, etc. Seriously.

I was going to get into a brief history lesson here but I really don't have time. If you have no clue into your 20's all is probably lost. Thanks to the US school system.

I have been to Cuba - and I can tell you they need a ton of work before they can entertain any type of tourism on a large scale. Much of Cuba is not nice and service there is very different from what American have come to expect. We stayed at a hotel - and it had seriously not been dusted in 30 years. Just taking the bedspread off the bed caused a huge dark dust cloud. It was pretty gross.

The other thing is that you NEVER want to get sick in Cuba - their medical facilities are horrendous and they are terribly understocked with all essential medical supplies.

There are far more islands I would select to call on before Cuba. Think of all the islands that few ships call on - Saba, Nevis, Montsurrat, Iles des Saint, Barbuda, Anguilla, Anegada, Vieques - just to name a few.

If and when Cuba opens to American commerce again in a general sense (it already is with some restritions), it will probably become a cruise destination rather quickly.

At first, becuse of lack of proper infrastructure, smaller ships will like make calls (think 750-1000 pax. size). After a while, once port facilities are expanded, etc. the megas will likely pour in. Also, let's remember that it isnt just port facilities that need to be on par, but excursions, local transportation, restaurants, etc.

Think about it. Right now, most Western Caribbean cruises hit the same 4 ports (Bahamas, Jamaica, Caymans, Mexico). It's escentially a "round Cuba cruise" in the first place.

You bet they are gonna add Cuba and knock off a "day at sea".

FWIW, here in PR, tourism industry people are scared for the day Cuba can become an American destination again because it'll pull the rug out under our industry...

I will never stop my Puerto Rico holidays!!! I love the people, the coffee, the people, the food, the people, the dancing...get the picture? The people of Puerto Rico make the holiday wonderful. Of course, I want to return to Cuba, to see the country now that I am grown with my Dad (FYI: we are of German lineage) but San Juan and all of Puerto Rico own a large part of my heart. I go there many times with my work and each time I come home I long to return. I am certain there are many others that feel as I do and will continue to visit your island.

I am not Cuban American. I am of German lineage. My Dad worked in Cuba and our family lived there. I lost my Mother when I was there. Some of the locals moved in and took care of my sisters and me or about 1 1/2 year before we came back to the US. You are correct, if we want to see the real Cuba we will need to visit soon after the "gate" opens. Once the tourist industry takes hold, things will change quickly.

Go to sleep while being gently rocked. Then wake up and have your breakfast on the aft deck while watching the ship's wake.....mesmerizing. No packing and unpacking as you travel to different and interesting places.:)

My DH and I met a US couple in Grand Caymans last year and they were planning to fly to Cuba for the day. They told us that an American could fly there from Grand Caymans , maybe other places, just not from the US.

Does anyone know about this?

Sure, Americans can fly to Cuba from other countries, but as an American citizen, you are not allowed to visit there or spend any money on their economy. Just because you CAN fly there does not mean that you are allowed to fly there. You also have to get approval from the US government to go there and that does not happen except under certain conditions.

Sure, Americans can fly to Cuba from other countries, but as an American citizen, you are not allowed to visit there or spend any money on their economy. Just because you CAN fly there does not mean that you are allowed to fly there. You also have to get approval from the US government to go there and that does not happen except under certain conditions.

good points. NMNita

THE ONLY place I have ever spent the night and you put your luggage out in the hallway with 5,000 other pieces of luggage..........and somehow, as if a miracle.........you do actually see your luggage the next morning:)

I guess the main issue: it's illegal for U.S. citizens to spend money there.

I think it is only illegal to spend US funds there... if you acquire money outside the US, such as a Bingo game in the middle of the ocean... not sure if that is a loophole or not ;)

THE ONLY place I have ever spent the night and you put your luggage out in the hallway with 5,000 other pieces of luggage..........and somehow, as if a miracle.........you do actually see your luggage the next morning:)

LOL :D Gotta love that!!!!

Not many other places where you can eat breakfast while watching a scuba-diving class, climb a rock wall, go ice-skating, hang poolside, play name-that-film by the theme, have a four-course dinner, watch a spectacular ice show, go shopping, go clubbing, and catch a good movie before bed.

I also love just watching the ocean go by; the I find the bow wave mesmerizing and the changing colours of the water.

Archived