Rome in Limo: Tipping in Traveler's Checks?

Eurocruiser2010

To all of those who have tipped Rome in Limo drivers, can you tip in traveler's checks? I've ordered traveler's checks in euros for my payment, but because of the denominations I will receive, will need change. For instance, I owe 450 for the tour, 120 for a guide, which equals 570. If I have 600 worth of traveler's checks (only 100 and 50 dollar denominations), can I just tell the driver to "keep the change" as a tip? Or do I have to tip in cash?

Thanks!

Do you know for a fact that your tour company will accept traveler's checks? I'm asking only to save you a bit of a hassle if they don't.

We found 15 years ago that traveler's checks are not readily accepted in Europe...even those denominated in local currency. We use credit cards when possible along with cash obtained from ATMs.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

A euro is a euro whether cash or endorsed travelers checks from what I can see.

IMHO if you are paying in cash why checks for tips, if checcks for payment then no reason you can't tip in checks either. I found that there is little advantage in checks versus cash, I really didn't plan to lose either so in the end I just secured the thousands I need for them in 3 ports, locked it in the cabin safe and took on enough for each day's payment, tip and other port expenses. Not sure what you are planning to round up to, but I found it felt good to give them the payment then hand over another little bit as thanks for a grand time!

Enjoy, they will treat you good!

To all of those who have tipped Rome in Limo drivers, can you tip in traveler's checks? I've ordered traveler's checks in euros for my payment, but because of the denominations I will receive, will need change. For instance, I owe 450 for the tour, 120 for a guide, which equals 570. If I have 600 worth of traveler's checks (only 100 and 50 dollar denominations), can I just tell the driver to "keep the change" as a tip? Or do I have to tip in cash?

Thanks!

The issue here is that the driver will have to get the tip from the Tour Company. It may not be immediate or accounting wise easy because he/she will turn in the TCs to the Company. Cash tips and cash payments are immediate and the driver turns in the contracted amount to the company and does not have to account for any extras. Even if tips are pooled, he/she knows what should be coming to him/her.

For instance, I owe 450 for the tour, 120 for a guide, which equals 570. If I have 600 worth of traveler's checks (only 100 and 50 dollar denominations), can I just tell the driver to "keep the change" as a tip? Or do I have to tip in cash?

Thanks!

Archived