Norwegian Jewel is afloat

Globaliser

I don't know how you can tell if it is in the water - it looks the same to me.

Deck 14 is sure looking nice. I see some of the balcony area for the garden villa, but can't tell what the other opne area is yet.

Here is a rendeing of Jewel:

In December, Meyer Werft announced it will be building yet another ship (after Jewel) for NCL expected to be delivered in 2007. There is a another ship being ordered for 2007 , but Meyer Werft passed on it and that ship will be built by a yard in Finland (Aker Finnyard).

Apparently the NCL ship that Aker is building will be in the Panamax GT class, similar to the Carnival Miracle, or Costa Mediterreania. This will also be delivered in 2007, and they have an option for another to be delivered in 2008, if NCL decides to go ahead with it by August of 2005.

Here's the photo:123.jpg

Here's the press release:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/news_press_detail.asp?what=news&id=-1&lang=e&pid=123

Here is the rendering of the NCL ship Aker will be building:

http://www.akerfinnyards.com/image.cfm?i=89&s=m

So whos building Pride of Hawaii? I thought that was also

going to be a Jewel clone. That would mean Meyer werft

is building two more ships for NCL after Jewel if there doing

POH also. Anyone know the scoop on her?

HLP

So whos building Pride of Hawaii? I thought that was also

going to be a Jewel clone. That would mean Meyer werft

is building two more ships for NCL after Jewel if there doing

POH also. Anyone know the scoop on her?

HLP

No... There is ONE other ship at Meyer Werft after Jewel... as yet unnamed... perhaps it is the Pride of Hawaii?

I just read the July press release from NCL on Pride of Hawaii. That is not the new build that they just announced.

The most recent announcement is for a Jewel clone to be

delivered in 2007. The Pride of Hawaii has a delivery date of

summer of 2006. The press release states that POH is a

duplicate of Jewel. It does not state what ship yard is building her but I find it hard to believe they would use another shipyard to build a duplicate.

HLP

• 2 months later...

From Meyer Werft's press releases:-

Docking out of "Norwegian Jewel"

Papenburg, 15.04.2005 - The next cruise ship, 93,000-gt "Norwegian Jewel", is likely to be docked out on June 10th, 2005. She will be berthed alongside the outfitting pier for abt. 2 weeks. The passage down the River Ems is scheduled for the last weekend in June.

Despite technical improvements, the Ems passage is still very dependent on weather. I had to junk my planned trip to see the Jewel of the Seas go down the river when it was suddenly delayed for 24 hours.

• 1 month later...

Update from Meyer Werft:-

Papenburg, 7 June 2005 – Following the completion of various tests and engine trials, the 93,000-gt cruise liner Norwegian Jewel is going to leave the covered building dock of Meyer Werft on 12 June 2005. Docking out of the ship built for the American cruise operator Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) will begin around 7.00 hrs in the morning. Given favourable weather conditions, the ship will be berthed alongside the pier around 9.00 hrs.

The time schedule of the docking is subject to weather conditions and may change!

There's also a little more information about the Ems passage, which looks like it may be interesting:-
The transit down the river Ems is scheduled for the last weekend in June 2005 (25.06.2005, early evening hours). However, it may be brought forward or put off due to weather conditions.

The transit of MS "BARMBEK" is scheduled for the end of June 2005 together with that of "Norwegian Jewel".

Here is a rendeing of Jewel:

Cliff,

Thanks for the rendering. I had not seen that one before. It really shows the difference in the pool area and the Garden Villas. All the renderings that NCL issues are really just of the DAWN or STAR. NORWEGIAN JEWEL actually has some pretty substantial changes so it's nice to see the real thing.

I'm pretty sure I'll be sailing aboard JEWEL in early November. I'm looking forward to trying the best and latest that NCL has to offer. I'm also hoping I like the "Freestyle" concept better on JEWEL. My last experience with Freestyle was onboard NORWEGIAN DREAM, and I wasn't very impressed. There were long waits most nights for dinner (I tend to eat late), but in defense of NCL the DREAM wasn't really built for Freestyle, and the ship was sailing in Europe and filled with Europeans who like to eat late just like I do.

I'm anxious to see some actual interior pics of JEWEL. I hope she looks better than POA ... and I have a feeling she will since she is a sister to DAWN.

Ernie

Apparently the NCL ship that Aker is building will be in the Panamax GT class, similar to the Carnival Miracle, or Costa Mediterreania. This will also be delivered in 2007, and they have an option for another to be delivered in 2008, if NCL decides to go ahead with it by August of 2005.

]

Interesting design with the stack clear back on the stern.

-Monte

Archived