Switched from Celebrity to Princess for Alaska 2011

Tapi

Hi:

Well, I did it. I just cancelled my reservation on Celebrity and switched to Princess for Alaska 2011. Three reasons:

• I'll be sailing out of Seattle instead of Vancouver (more convenient and cheaper)
  • It's a Saturday departure instead of a Sunday departure (gives me one day to decompress before starting the work week)
  • I'll visit Glacier Bay instead of Hubbard Glacier (I understand it's a more stunning location)

Of course, I'm having a bit of "remorse" thinking that maybe I should've stuck with Celebrity.

I have never cruised on either Celebrity or Princess, but some friends comment that Celebrity is worth the extra inconveniences listed above.

BTW, price is not a consideration. The difference in price between the two was a grand total of $27 per couple!

For those of you who've had a chance to sail on both these cruise lines, what are your thoughts?

THANKS!

(I'll be posting on the Princess board to get their opinion as well)

I've been on both to Alaska many times. I'd definitely choose Celebrity. Just my opinion.

I also love Vancouver and would hate to miss sailing out of that beautiful city if possible. We always go early and enjoy the city.

My hubby and I sailed on the Golden Princess in 2008 out of Seattle. (We live in the area and it was convenient.). We are going on Celebrity out of Seattle in June for another cruise up to Alaska.

I have to say we were pretty disappointed in Princess. The service/food etc. just was not up to snuff. We enjoyed the excursions but the ship we were on just did not do it for us.

I hope that it works out for you. I'm looking forward to trying out Celebrity. We have not sailed on it so we are curious as to how it's going to turn out. Many people I've talked to preferred Celebrity. Take care!

we changed to princess 3 years ago to see glacier bay-----i found it better then hubbards glacier

we went back to celebrity the next year for a trans atlantic and caribbean cruises the last 2 years.

nothing against princess-----we just prefer celebrity and our elite status with them

We like both lines, and I don't think you will "dislike" Princess. But given the choice we would take Celebrity over Princess, mainly for the service. If you are on one of the newer ships (two newest we have been on are Crown and Emerald) you will find them beautifully appointed.

Had Celebrity Millie booked for Alaska Aug 2009 which included land tour before meeting ship.

We got a much better price for crusie/land tour from Princess. We booked Princess Coral and got a mini-suite.

We flew to Fairbanks, starting land tour there by rail. We had a great time for 4 days in Alaska. Sailed Coral for 7 days south to Vancouver.

We enjoyed the Coral but Celebrity has much better food and service. We did the anytime

dining and will NEVER do that again.

Celebrity is still my cruise line of choice. Just sailed Solstice in Eastern Caribbean. Beautiful ship with GREAT service. Have my favorite ship (Constellation) booked for 2011.

Enjoy your time in Alaska - it is beautiful!!!

We are elite Celebrity cruisers and love EVERYTHING about Celebrity. We also have sailed Princess, although not for awhile. I always look at Celebrity and RCCL sailings first, but never say absolutly no to Holland America and Princess.

We did Princess to Alaska the second trip to Alaska because we added the Denali and train, they invented it, they've done it longer and we couldn't have been happier.

If $$$ is not the key, take which one suits you the best, you will love Alaska.

Enjoy;);)

Have sailed both Princess and Celebrity to Alaska. It may be cheaper to fly to Seattle, but the sailing on the WEST side of Vancouver Island is not scenic. From Vancouver, you sail on the EAST side of Vancouver Island. Very scenic! I have sailed from Seattle once and vowed never again from there. If there is a lot of difference in flight costs, travel from Seattle to Vancouver to start the cruise. Hubbard Glacier can be spectacular -- depends on the weather. Glacier Bay is very nice. The best cruise is the one that combines both.

We are Elite on both X and Princess, so obviously take cruises on both. If I had to fly north for a cruise, I'd choose Vancouver because I understand the ships from there go up the inside passage to the east of Vancouver Island. This year we're taking Sea Princess to Alaska because it goes out of San Francisco. It's probably my least favorite Princess ship - I like the ones with the Caribe deck larger balconies, but it is convenient.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise on either of the lines.

I have sailed inside passage on Holland America and enjoyed it. Next summer we're planning a northern sail from Vancouver and then doing a land based tour. It is between Celebrity and Princess (have sailed on both) We're leaning towards Princess because of Glacier Bay. I've seen it, but our friends have not.

But and this is the big but; once we meet with our friends to decide, I know the price will be the deciding factor. I'll be happy either way.

I'd agree with some of the previous posters and definitely leave from Vancouver. Seattle may be more convenient if you live close, but if you're flying in anyway -- Vancouver is an awesome place. Also, travelling the inside passage from Vancouver was one of the most scenic days I've ever had. I've been to both Hubbard Glacier and although Glacer Bay may be slightly more scenic -- they are both amazing. I would not sacrifice the inside passage just to see Glacier Bay.

Can you switch back?

We've been to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay and preferred Hubbard. Both are visually stunning experiences and you will get people who have differing views.

Here's what we liked about Hubbard. First, the actual glacier at Hubbard, which is really two glaciers (Hubbard and Turner), are much larger. Second, if the weather is clear, you will see Mt St Elias and Mt Logan in the distance, which are absolutely spectacular. The actual glaciers in Glacier Bay and the mountains that you see, while awesome, just don't compare.

That's not to say that Glacier Bay doesn't have its charms. I can see why some prefer it. You would be in Glacier Bay about twice as long and there is more of a variety of things to see. You're also likely to see more wildlife in Glacier Bay. We saw a whale breach there, for example.

Don't sell Hubbard short, it's truly spectacular. I would look on Youtube for video's of both and see what you see. We were lucky to get both Glacier Bay (on a Zaandam cruise) and Hubbard (on an Infinity cruise) in clear weather.

Other things that would make me think again about Celebrity are that the M-Class with the enclosed forward observation lounge is better designed for Alaska than the Princess ships. In addition, I also like Celebrity's more restrictive smoking policy, space per passenger ratio, etc., etc.

We cruise RCI, Celebrity and Princess. We've cruised 3 times to Alaska with Princess. Princess had the best food and sevice we've ever had on a cruise. Perhaps we were lucky all three times. We've done any time dining and it was great. Same table for 2 with the same wait staff each night.

Eight cruises to Alaska on six lines, Celebity- 2, NCL-1, Princess-1. (The others were Royal, Regency and Glacier Bay... sigh.)

As an asthmatic I really hate Princess (6), but I agree with your decision on this particular cruise. Sometimes it is about the line and sometimes it is about the destination.

As others have told you, Vancouver is a wonderful city, one of my favorites, but I haven't figured out just how much money it would take to convince me to go thru the Vancouver cruise terminal again. It would have to be in the 4 figure range.... each.

Before anyone jumps up to point this out, I am from the mistily marvelous lands of the great Chief Sealth. Doesn't really affect my decision. My favorite, super cheap, super scenic 7am train ride is from Seattle to Vancouver. Normally the exotic would be better than the ordinary, but not in this case. The beautiful Pan Pacific cruise terminal surpasses Port of Miami as one of the primary portals to hell... IM(not so)HO.

Glacier Bay is an absolute 1st timer MUST, yes, the other routes are lovely, but they are seconds for a reason. BTW - Marjorie isn't my favorite glacier on this route, but we won't tell. Come back and tell us if your favorite is the same as ours. Bet it is. ;)

We departed our Princess cruise in Vacouver. VERY EASY! We paid extra for the luggage valet. We departed ship with ease, taken to a waiting bus to airport. Customs officials came on buses to put us thru paperwork. Taken to special area at airport to go thru Security. The whole process was easy and well planned by the cruise line. Wish all cruises were that easy.

We did not see luggage till we arrived DFW.

If the cruise fits you better, I don't see how you could regret your decision. As I've said before, Princess and Celebrity are pretty comparable. The one thing that will always sway us to pick Princess over Celebrity is itinerary. We have done Alaska twice with Celebrity and once with Princess.

I personally prefer Vancouver to Seattle, so I would have chosen the Vancouver departure. Yes, I know the airfare is more expensive, but to me it's worth it. Vancouver's a wonderful city, and with the Olympics there this year it had me wishing I could go back there sooner rather than later. I don't think you could go wrong choosing between Glacier Bay and Hubbard, those two are regarded as the best glacier viewing in Alaska. If you had chosen an itinerary with Tracy Arm, then I would say, "run far, far away!" (Tracy Arm is pretty, but woefully inadequate compared to the other glaciers.)

The only thing you might not have considered is the inside passage route. Our two Celebrity cruises RT out of Vancouver, we were in the inside passage most of the time. It was so neat to look out the window and see the ship sailing through narrow channels with land and trees on either side of us. Sailing RT from Seattle on Princess, we found we were in open sea the majority of the time. Dealbreaker, no, but it is something we missed.

I think you will enjoy your Princess cruise. Don't worry about missing Celebrity, your trip to Alaska will probably have you hungry for another, so you can always look into them again! ;)

I used Princess the 1st time and will now use Celebrity.. i personally would never use Seattle as Vancouver is the place to be. i spent time thee in the past and will this summer.

Glacier bay is brilliant but celebrity service all over the ship is better and he MDR food is better.

Archived