Whale Watching

runner5

What is the best time of year to take a whale watching excursion? How is whale watching at Icy Straits?

Not sure about Icy Straits but for whale watching the best months are May and September during their migration from Mexico and Hawaii Northbound and vice versa towards teh end of September.

Whale watching is good the entire cruise season. Both boats out of Juneau and out of ISP have records of over 90% sightings through the whole season.

Bear in mind that what you usually see is the rolling back and the spout, and then the flukes going down. The spectacular breaching and bubble feeding sightings are the exception.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html for some examples.

Have a GREAT cruise!

You can spot whales from cruiseship if you spent some time out on the deck and with some luck. But joining the whale watching tour in Juneau can be quite a liberating experience to see those whales up close. We went with Orca. Those folks are fairly experienced and know where to go to see whales. Try to bring a wide angle binoculars with your trip.

Not sure about Icy Straits but for whale watching the best months are May and September during their migration from Mexico and Hawaii Northbound and vice versa towards teh end of September.

Sorry, this is totally incorrect. The migration is CHANCY sightings at best, with the hundreds of miles of transit- and being on the move, you have to be in the right place at the right time. Last time I looked, the cruise ships do NOT park themselves for a couple days in the transit routes. :) AND the migration is NOT in Sept. (not sure where this poster is getting this information, or if they have even been to Alaska??)

The return migration is into November, and on the Atlantic side well into October. The migration to Alaska is from April to about mid May.

The AREA to see humpbacks on 100 % of the boat tours is out of both Hoonah- with Icy Strait (the waterway, not the "cruise" port) a major feeding area and Juneau. There are also resident humpbacks in the area.

The cruiseships, do transit some prime feeding areas, which can have sightings. But as I have noted the ships do not "stop". Necessary is forward viewing, TIME, and a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Knowing areas is also an enhancement. If your ship has a ship naturalist, they can be very helpful.

thank you! guess I will save my money if that is all I'll see. maybe I'll consider the dancer show instead :)

Thank you again!

I did not mean to say that the whale watching is not worth it. As others have noted just being in the close presence of these giants gives one pause and things to think about!

However, I don't want people to be disappointed after seeing the spectacular publicity photos in the cruise ship brochures!

The cruiseships, do transit some prime feeding areas, which can have sightings. But as I have noted the ships do not "stop". Necessary is forward viewing, TIME, and a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Knowing areas is also an enhancement. If your ship has a ship naturalist, they can be very helpful.

Do naturalists make any announcement when they spot whales?

Not on any cruises I've been on. Sightings off the ship are usually far away and you mostly see a spout or a splash. On the whale watching tours you can practically reach out and touch them.

Our 07 sailing of the Diamond Princess had a running commentary about whales seen, their habits, where to watch for them, etc, etc.

Last August we took the evening whale watching tour out of Juneau and it was amazing. Saw not just one, but several groups of whales bubble netting . . this is rare, but they were all doing it. Even saw a seal that climbed the scaffolding of a buoy, too funny!

We also saw whales from the ship and our naturalist did come on the overhead and let everyone know. We were on the Star Princess.

Archived