Juneau any advice on which we should do

wallis7219

Hi

We are on the NCL Star and have a very limited time in Juneau 07.00 to 13.30

We would like to do whale watching but would also like to take helicopter ride to a Glacier/Icefield an land on it

But as we only have a limited time it seems we will have to choose but we are really torn between both.

We could try doing Whale watching in Prince rupert has anyone any experience of whale watching down there, or is Juneau the place to do your whale watching?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Gary

Hopefully you also have signed up for the add on Tracy Arm NCL tour?? In my opinion, it is absolutely "Necessary". It is GROSSLY superior to anything seen from your ship, and it's very likely you will see humpbacks. IF this is an option, then you can take the helicopter trip out of Juneau. But, you do not have time for both.

An alternative, would be to book your helicopter tour out of Skagway.

My reports on Prince Rupert are very spoty with whale sightings, and way down the pole compared to Juneau.

Can you comment on the difference between seeing Tracy Arm on the ship "cruising" versus the excursions? I will be going in July. We were with ufortunatly a 2-10pm stop. Was going to just take the bus to Mendenahall do the hikes, back to City and salmon ladder and stuff. But willing to spend the $s if the tour of the TA will far exceed the experience on the sihp. we are sailing Princess as you can see in my signature.

Thanks for any tips

Hopefully you also have signed up for the add on Tracy Arm NCL tour?? In my opinion, it is absolutely "Necessary". It is GROSSLY superior to anything seen from your ship, and it's very likely you will see humpbacks. IF this is an option, then you can take the helicopter trip out of Juneau. But, you do not have time for both.

My reports on Prince Rupert are very spoty with whale sightings, and way down the pole compared to Juneau.

Can you comment on the difference between seeing Tracy Arm on the ship "cruising" versus the excursions? I will be going in July. We were with ufortunatly a 2-10pm stop. Was going to just take the bus to Mendenahall do the hikes, back to City and salmon ladder and stuff. But willing to spend the $s if the tour of the TA will far exceed the experience on the sihp. we are sailing Princess as you can see in my signature.

Thanks for any tips

You are on a Tracy Arm itinerary with a ship that offers the add on cruiseline ship tour??

I put together a photo sample, since it can be difficult to understand. First off, being as high up as a ship is, is already a negative for any close up viewing of wildlife and it's just plan going to be missed, most of it. Second is the access to the glacier. Only about 25% of the ship make the whole transit, and of those, very few get up close to glaciers.

In this particular sailing, the photo shows, how close the ship got to the glacier- taken with a normal lens and was the first time that season the ship got within view of the glacier- 3rd week of July.

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

I am booked for the helicopter glacier trek and the tracy arm fjord and glacier explorer. The helicopter/glacier trek is at 8a and the tracy arm is at 1:15. I talked to someone at NCL and they assured me I could do both.

Hi BudgetQueen

Thank you very much for your advice.

We were in two minds if we should book the tracey arm tour with NCL. Byt your pick have now sealed it and we are going to book it.

Many thanks again for your helpful advice

All the best

Gary

I am booked for the helicopter glacier trek and the tracy arm fjord and glacier explorer. The helicopter/glacier trek is at 8a and the tracy arm is at 1:15. I talked to someone at NCL and they assured me I could do both.

YES, certainly you can do both. :)

Hi BudgetQueen

Thank you very much for your advice.

We were in two minds if we should book the tracey arm tour with NCL. Byt your pick have now sealed it and we are going to book it.

Many thanks again for your helpful advice

All the best

Gary

It is hard to convey the big difference in experience, but I can assure you, it will be very clear once you do it. :)

I am reluctant to put the "necessary" on some costly recommendations of mine, but this is one, along with Kenai Fjords boat tours, flightseeing.

You recommended the 3 hour tour but we couldn't do that one and the Tracy Arm Fjord so we booked the 2 hour flight/glacier trek.

Not true if you booked direct, with Northstar??? I'm assuming you are talking about Glacier trekking? You may want to reconsider this, as the short tour, is simply, just too short in my opinion. Your Tracy Arm tour is only a 1/2 hour before everyone has to board.

Not true if you booked direct, with Northstar??? I'm assuming you are talking about Glacier trekking? You may want to reconsider this, as the short tour, is simply, just too short in my opinion. Your Tracy Arm tour is only a 1/2 hour before everyone has to board.

I called Northstar directly and they said I had to book through NCL. NCL had a 3 hour, 2 hour, and the 1 hour. They are all done by Northstar. I couldn't get the 3 hour so we did the two hour. I agreed that I thought the 1 hour was too short. We have a 9am and they said we would get back at 1pm just in time for the Tracy Arm.

Archived