Manhattan or Red Hook

7nucruzers

Take a car service its cheaper and no meter.

Hello Colo Cruiser,

Thank you also for the "tip".... I see you live with the beautiful Rockies... I think Colorado is the most beautiful state!!! Was there for vacation in the 90's and loved it!!!

Any car service you would recommend at New York Penn Station??

Regards,

NewJersey222:)

Marie

Hello Debbie,

I can not get a Transfer from Princess. You have to request them 14 days ahead of your cruise.

Thanks,

Marie

Marie, FYI we just got off and on the next to last day in the patter it mentioned if you wanted to do the Princess Transfer you could sign up so maybe things have changed.

Hello Colo Cruiser,

Thank you also for the "tip".... I see you live with the beautiful Rockies... I think Colorado is the most beautiful state!!! Was there for vacation in the 90's and loved it!!!

Any car service you would recommend at New York Penn Station??

Regards,

Marie

Hi! It is beautiful thats for sure.

Try these, we use them often.

They are all over the city, they just dispatch one close to you when you call. No res needed. Just call them 10-15 minutes before you want to be picked up.

Arecibo 718-783-6465

Cadman 866-308-5466

Marie, FYI we just got off and on the next to last day in the patter it mentioned if you wanted to do the Princess Transfer you could sign up so maybe things have changed.

Debbie,

Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with Princess and she told me I can get a Transfer at Newark Airport, but have to get it the day of the cruise, May 27. I had called Princess this past Sunday and was told it was too late to purchase Transfers. Guess she meant directly through Princess. Anyway, that is good news and another option for me!!:) I am not crazy about waiting until 12Noon the day of the cruise to get the Transfer, though: $29.00!!

Thanks for the idea of motivating me to investigate further!!!!

I appreciate it!!!

Thank you all Cruise Criticers!!!:D So knowledgeable about cruising!!!

Regards,

NewJersey222:):D:D

Marie

Hi! It is beautiful thats for sure.

Try these, we use them often.

They are all over the city, they just dispatch one close to you when you call. No res needed. Just call them 10-15 minutes before you want to be picked up.

Arecibo 718-783-6465

Cadman 866-308-5466

Thank you Colo Cruiser. I will check out these cabs out.

I appreciate it.:D:D

NewJersey222

Marie

NewJersey

I am confused...are you coming from Newark or Penn? I grew up in NYC and maybe can help.

If I understand you, you are flying into Newark and taking a bus into Penn....If so, when you leave Penn, just take a cab. There are tons, like the other poster mentioned as soon as you exit Penn Station on either 7 or 8th Ave and 31st Street. Looking for the car from the car service will be a pain in the butt when all you are wanting to do at that point is get on the ship after the flight and bus ride.

I just picked my dad up from Penn Station Saturday and finding a spot to stop to just get him in the car was so difficult. I ended up stoping in front of a parking garage entrance and they literally shooed me away after 2 minutes (luckily my dad and I had cell phones and we were able to coordinate after 1 or 2 misses).

If you arent from the area, finding the car from the car service might be difficult. They might say that they will meet you on a certain corner but if there is no where for them to to stop and wait for you, several calls back and forth with them will certainly frustrate you.

The cab might be a couple of dollars more (you can try checking the price of the cab ride on hopstop.com) but the convenience of the taxi is SO worth it. Besides, it will be there as soon as you exit Penn.

If you must take a car service, I recommend Safeway. You can call them and reserve in advance (718) 376-7000 .

NewJersey

I am confused...are you coming from Newark or Penn? I grew up in NYC and maybe can help.

If I understand you, you are flying into Newark and taking a bus into Penn....If so, when you leave Penn, just take a cab. There are tons, like the other poster mentioned as soon as you exit Penn Station on either 7 or 8th Ave and 31st Street. Looking for the car from the car service will be a pain in the butt when all you are wanting to do at that point is get on the ship after the flight and bus ride.

I just picked my dad up from Penn Station Saturday and finding a spot to stop to just get him in the car was so difficult. I ended up stoping in front of a parking garage entrance and they literally shooed me away after 2 minutes (luckily my dad and I had cell phones and we were able to coordinate after 1 or 2 misses).

If you arent from the area, finding the car from the car service might be difficult. They might say that they will meet you on a certain corner but if there is no where for them to to stop and wait for you, several calls back and forth with them will certainly frustrate you.

The cab might be a couple of dollars more (you can try checking the price of the cab ride on hopstop.com) but the convenience of the taxi is SO worth it. Besides, it will be there as soon as you exit Penn.

If you must take a car service, I recommend Safeway. You can call them and reserve in advance (718) 376-7000 .

Hello Goldesq,

You are soooo right. I had not thought of what you are saying about finding the pre-arranged cab....

My only concern was paying tooo much $$$ because the cabs know you are from out of town and I do not know the route even though I have directions and coordinates to Red Hook.

So I will do what you recommend: walk to the street, and just take a cab!!! It is worth the extra $$ for the convenience. After all, this is a vacation!!!!

To answer your question, I am staying at a hotel May 26 near Newark Airport and taking the train the following day, May 27, to NY Penn Station, then a cab to Red Hook.

Thank you for your help,:D

Regards,

Marie

Hello Goldesq,

You are soooo right. I had not thought of what you are saying about finding the pre-arranged cab....

My only concern was paying tooo much $$$ because the cabs know you are from out of town and I do not know the route even though I have directions and coordinates to Red Hook.

So I will do what you recommend: walk to the street, and just take a cab!!! It is worth the extra $$ for the convenience. After all, this is a vacation!!!!

To answer your question, I am staying at a hotel May 26 near Newark Airport and taking the train the following day, May 27, to NY Penn Station, then a cab to Red Hook.

Thank you for your help,:D

Regards,

Marie

Believe me if you give a correct corner the car service will find you.

They will call your cell phone when close and tell you what car they are driving and will have a placard in the windshield. ;)

There are so many people with foreign accents in New York that cabbies don't realy know who is from out of town and who is local. :)

Yahoo maps can give you an idea of the most likely route: just put in Penn Station, New York and Imlay Street, Brooklyn. The route is shows goes down the Westside Higway (on the Hudson River) to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (toll is extra). Yellow cabs are metered so they can't cheat (too much!) with that, other than taking you there via the Bronx :D Ask for a receipt; if you think you have been taken for a ride, it has the information you need to fiel a complaint.

I have a foreign accent and have lived in the city 24 years and can remember about 2 or 3 times that a cabbie tried to take a long route; the vast majority have been fine.

Have you considered getting car service from the hotel in NJ straight to the port? It may be a lot more relaxing and less laborious that dragging lugagge on a train to Manhattan to take a cab to Red Hook. It may cost a bit more but I think may be worth while.

OneStarTattoo, Wish you were onboard but on the 23rd know a Lady from Jersey will give you a wave, heck, I'll even have a drink but you're Lucky you get to live so near the Greatest City!!

As far as boarding we will arrive about 11:30, even if there is a short wait the Port is more fun than just hanging around waiting to go, it's fun to see all the excitement!!!

Ok, I will look for you and wave back! :)

There are so many people with foreign accents in New York that cabbies don't realy know who is from out of town and who is local. :)

Yahoo maps can give you an idea of the most likely route: just put in Penn Station, New York and Imlay Street, Brooklyn. The route is shows goes down the Westside Higway (on the Hudson River) to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (toll is extra). Yellow cabs are metered so they can't cheat (too much!) with that, other than taking you there via the Bronx :D Ask for a receipt; if you think you have been taken for a ride, it has the information you need to fiel a complaint.

I have a foreign accent and have lived in the city 24 years and can remember about 2 or 3 times that a cabbie tried to take a long route; the vast majority have been fine.

Have you considered getting car service from the hotel in NJ straight to the port? It may be a lot more relaxing and less laborious that dragging lugagge on a train to Manhattan to take a cab to Red Hook. It may cost a bit more but I think may be worth while.

Peter,

Yes, I have considered car service from the hotel. I have not had a chance to find out about that. Have to take the time to call the hotel.

Once I decide what to do, can we place bets to see if it worked???;)

Ha Ha

Just kidding!!!

Thank you all again,:D

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

• 1 month later...

With over 3,000 people exiting almost at once when the Caribbean Princess returns to New York, is it best to order a town car to take you to La Guardia or are sufficient numbers of taxis available?

With over 3,000 people exiting almost at once when the Caribbean Princess returns to New York, is it best to order a town car to take you to La Guardia or are sufficient numbers of taxis available?

Even with over 6,000 passengers coming and going, Princess has it set up that it runs smoothly.

Eastern Car Service at 1-866-499-7177 (http://www.easterncarservice.com/) provides a reasonably priced alternative to a taxi or a Princess transfer to La Guardia. Last fall it cost

(pay in cash) $30+ 2.51 (8.375%) tax + .60 (2%) surcharge = $33.11 + tip.

Hello Debbie,

I can not get a Transfer from Princess. You have to request them 14 days ahead of your cruise.

Thanks,

Marie

You can book the transfer back to Newark on board, we did on our May cruise on the CB.

For those asking about how early to book flights home should also consider that unexpected things happen. Our May 9th arrival at Red Hook on the CB featured a close encounter of the worst kind with the gangways which renered them inoperative. They had to construct a makeshift gangway and we debarked 4 hours late to absolute chaos outside of the terminal. Luckily we hired a porter to rush us through customs/immigration and steered us through the disgruntled crowd to the bus bound for Newark Airport. Just one example, but others happen a lot more commonly. Just takes an hour delay to cause an early bird to miss their flight.

Hello,

I just returned from a cruise out of Red Hook, Brooklyn, June 5. I needed to get to Penn Train Station and faced a similar situation. I do express walk off, (you take your luggage with you) got off the ship at 7:45AM. There were, in my opinion, several cabs, always coming, and car services to take you to where you want to go. If you do not walk off your own luggage, it may be different, but I had no problem. Got cab right away to NY Penn Station, cost: $25.00 + tip. Very smooth transition.....

Good Luck,

Enjoy your cruise,:D

NewJersey222

Marie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just searched for this topic and came upon this thread. We are getting off the Carib. Princess on August 14 and headed for JFK airport for a 12:45 p.m. flight.

Since JFK is also located in Brooklyn, a cab shouldn't be too expensive from the port, right? How long should it take on a Saturday? We declined to purchase transfers either way (we're getting into NYC a day early to be tourists).

Thanks for any advice,

Julie

Hi all, just searched for this topic and came upon this thread. We are getting off the Carib. Princess on August 14 and headed for JFK airport for a 12:45 p.m. flight.

Since JFK is also located in Brooklyn, a cab shouldn't be too expensive from the port, right? How long should it take on a Saturday? We declined to purchase transfers either way (we're getting into NYC a day early to be tourists).

Thanks for any advice,

Julie

It should take about 30-45 minutes if there is no construction going on and it should cost about $45 w/o tip.

You can always check here http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/ or hopstop.com

The previous poster was wrong. JKF is in Queens, not Brooklyn. Never was in Brooklyn.

synet165

I am the previous poster and all I said was the price and the time. All the poster needs to do is say to the cab driver, "JFK please". I didn't think I needed to correct them on the borough.

If someone here is unfamiliar and reads JFK is in Brooklyn, they might hesitate paying fares to go "so close".....

I read it and said...woahhhhh....HUH???

Cause JFK is not a close ride to the port....

I love this site because the majority of the info posted here is EXTREMELY accurate....

I have gotten into cabs in New York and been ASTOUNDED the cab driver did not know where to go (in a close radius to where WE WERE!!!)...so never get in a cab without knowing exactly where you want to go...

I had looked at this map and thought JFK was in Brooklyn: http://www.visitingdc.com/new-york/new-york-city-airport-map.asp

But I am cleared up now! Sorry to introduce any confusion. I will get good directions to Red Hook before our departure for any confused taxi drivers.

It sounds like paying for a ship transfer to JFK would be about the same as hiring a cab. I may go ahead and book the transfer.

Thanks again,

Julie

Archived