Luggage Questions

Razberryt

Obviously we are 1st timers, going on a 5 day Carnival cruise in January. Wondering a few things about luggage:

I read on the website the size for the carry-ons, but is there a limit? Do you think it's possible for me to pack everything I need for 5 days into one or two carry-ons? I've heard that most people over-pack for their first cruise, so I'm trying to take that to heart and really go light.

Yes, it is possible, but probably not your first cruise. If you are a pool/beach person, you probably will spend the day in bathing suit with coverup. So you don't need a lot of daytime stuff. Bring things that coordinate, mix and match. Wear things twice. Don't bring different shoes for every outfit. If your ship is not Fantasy class, there will be a hairdryer provided, so leave yours at home. Bathrobes will be provided. EM

I pack for 7-8 day cruises in a carry on. It is definitely doable. Mix and match. dockers and dress shirt / cocktail dress for formal night is fine. 3 pairs of shoes (one dress, flip flops and comfortable walking shoes (for excursions). swim suits dont' take up much space. On my longer cruises, I do one load of laundry on a sea day. it all works out. No one cares if you wear the same outfit twice. You have a fantastic cruise.

Are you flying? If so, you cannot take 2 carry-ons on the plane with you, and will have to put on one as regular luggage. If you are doing that, then you really don't have to stress about having 2 small bags.

Also, you might not want to lug 2 carry-ons around on the ship if you get there before your cabin is accessible. (Of course, this depends on the time that you board the ship.)

Are you flying? If so, you cannot take 2 carry-ons on the plane with you, and will have to put on one as regular luggage. If you are doing that, then you really don't have to stress about having 2 small bags.

Also, you might not want to lug 2 carry-ons around on the ship if you get there before your cabin is accessible. (Of course, this depends on the time that you board the ship.)

If there are 2 of them then each can have a carryon to take on the plane.

It is doable to take a 5 day cruise with only a carryon. My son and DIL did it.....each had all their stuff in a backpack for a 5 day cruise. However this would never work for me.

We just came off of a 5 day yesterday and believe it or not, it can be done. We planned out our packing in advance according to our itinerary.

Day one on the ship, we wore to dinner what we wore onto the ship. Dress for dinner was cruise casual every evening except for day two, which was the formal dinner.

Day two: Day at sea/formal dinner. Dress for the day was shorts/swim-wear since we would be spending the day in the sun. For dinner the ladies wore nice little dresses, nothing out-landish or gawdy that would require it's own suitcase, and I wore slacks. shirt and tie. I eliminated a suit jacket, since I always wind up taking it off in the dining room anyway, and saved a lot of space in the suitcase.

Day three: Grand Cayman 8am to 3pm. Swimwear off the boat since we were headed to the beach. Dinner was cruise casual. Shorts and tropical shirt for me, sundress for the ladies.

Day Four: Cozumel Mx. 11 am to 8 pm. Swim-wear off the boat. Headed to the beach again. Dinner was cruise casual, but we were late for dinner due to shopping, so we just changed into cruise casual for the remainder of the evening.

Last day at sea was primarily swim-wear and cruise casual for dinner. Most of your stuff is going to be packed up by the time dinner rolls around so you have to plan accordingly for dinner and the next day when you get off the boat.

So if you plan it out ahead of time according to your itinerary it may help you from over-packing. P.S., the ladies took six pairs of shoes but only wore four. I took three, sneakers, (wore on the boat) sandles, (wore most of the time) and dress shoes. (wore once.

Pack a small carry-on bag or shoulder bag with personal items or important things you don't want to leave in the hands of others,ie passports, travel docs, meds etc., and check your bigger carry-on with the porters at cruise port so your not stuck dragging it around the boat all afternoon because you may not get into your cabin until later in the afternoon.

If you can squeeze a collapsable bag in there some where for extra items you purchase while on vacation, will help if you wind up leaving the ship with more than you came with.

I didn't think to give more details in my question. Here's the scoop:

I'm travelling with myself, my husband, 9 year old daughter, 3 year old daughter. We are driving to New Orleans, so no need to worry about the plane. We will be doing a lot of water activities, so I figured swimsuits and cover-ups would be the most of our clothing during the day :) I also plan to bring one nice outfit for everyone for formal night. The only other "catch" is that DH and I are renewing our vows on-board, so we may have some extra accessories for that. Otherwise, yes we will probably bring our own snorkel gear for 3 of us (since we already have it).

All that said, I already have a rolling suitcase that the 3-year-old knows how to manage on her own, so I figure if the other 3 of us have at least one bag/suitcase, and perhaps a backpack or two, then we won't have to deal with checking the bags.

I am considering, however, checking a case of soda as others have mentioned they have done by placing it in a duffel bag and putting a luggage tag on it. I could also check the snorkel gear as we clearly won't need it on board.

The only reason I prefer this is that I will feel much better being able to unpack as soon as we get to the room. It makes me feel at peace!!

Thanks for the advice!!

Archived