Why do you think some people hate cruising?

I can't say I know anyone who hates cruising but I know of people who have tried it and don't feel it was quite for them. I think to cruise you have to be in a state of mind to relax and some people just can't do that, they need an activity level that really doesn't exist on a cruise ship. As much as find that strange...I do respect that.

this made me laugh out loud!!! I feel exactly the same way! I am lucky that my family and closest friends love cruising as much as my husband and i. But i also can appreciate those that do not share my opinion. This is fine by me. I would never want to try and talk someone into trying something they obviously think they will hate etc..... To each his own.

: )

Your comment makes no sense at all, at least to me. So you are saying you are not in a state of mind to relax if you decide you want to backpack in Europe, visit Grandma's house in the hills of Tennessee or lay on a beach in the dominican republic at a hotel?

Hmm..last year I hiked all over Nicaragua and I thought that was very relaxing. Then I was in the mountains of Jamaica with my extended family at their home in the hills away from the beach. Does that mean I lied to myself when saying I felt relaxed?

See..this is what I said in my earlier posts. Self righteous cruisers who think a cruise is the only way to relax. To me, a person that only takes cruises hardly earns the right to be a world traveler, much less an expert on what it takes to relax.

I can't say I know anyone who hates cruising but I know of people who have tried it and don't feel it was quite for them. I think to cruise you have to be in a state of mind to relax and some people just can't do that, they need an activity level that really doesn't exist on a cruise ship. As much as find that strange...I do respect that.

Your comment makes no sense at all, at least to me. So you are saying you are not in a state of mind to relax if you decide you want to backpack in Europe, visit Grandma's house in the hills of Tennessee or lay on a beach in the dominican republic at a hotel?

Hmm..last year I hiked all over Nicaragua and I thought that was very relaxing. Then I was in the mountains of Jamaica with my extended family at their home in the hills away from the beach. Does that mean I lied to myself when saying I felt relaxed?

See..this is what I said in my earlier posts. Self righteous cruisers who think a cruise is the only way to relax. To me, a person that only takes cruises hardly earns the right to be a world traveler, much less an expert on what it takes to relax.

I'm not Putterdude, but I didn't see him say anywhere in his post that cruising was the only way to relax. He merely stated that (in his opinion) in order to enjoy a cruise you need to have a relaxed state of mind, and that if you're looking for a high level of activity, you may be better off exploring other vacation options.

Things aren't as black and white as you're making them out to be. You can certainly relax on other sorts of vacations besides cruising (and I'd be willing to put money on it that Putterdude agrees), but if you're seeking a very active vacation, then cruising may not be the right fit for you. How you're getting from this that Putterdude was saying non-cruising vacations and relaxation are mutually exclusive is all in your own head.

Things aren't as black and white as you're making them out to be. You can certainly relax on other sorts of vacations besides cruising (and I'd be willing to put money on it that Putterdude agrees), but if you're seeking a very active vacation, then cruising may not be the right fit for you. How you're getting from this that Putterdude was saying non-cruising vacations and relaxation are mutually exclusive is all in your own head.

My family and I enjoy very active holidays. We love canoeing, hiking, backpacking, cycling, etc. and we make every effort to do these activities when we go away. Last year was our first long cruise of 14 nights around the Med (after our very first cruise - a short taster to Ireland) and I was exhausted. We had several port days one after the other and we went out exploring on all of them; the kids were constantly in the pool, at the kids club, on the flowrider, ice skating, climbing, etc., and wanting us to do these things with them - which we did. We had very little downtime. It was one of the most active holidays I have ever been on. I think that's what I love about cruising - it is what you make it.

To the person (I think it was the OP) who said that there "wouldn't be any cruise haters on CC" or something to that effect - I disagree completely. I'm new to the boards but from the outset I noticed that there are posters on here who do hate cruising. They seem to complain about everything, yet when I looked at their signatures they have have 10, 20 or more cruises listed. Why keep cruising if you have nothing nice to say about it and clearly don't enjoy it?

My best friends sister & her daughter went on a cruise last year and said that it was horrible and they'd never do it again. Her reasons:

Mediocre food and had to pay extra for "better" restaurants.

Had to pay for soda's, etc.

Shore excursions expensive so they didn't do any.

She didn't enjoy most of the shows onboard.

Said the cruise was generally boring.

Obviously she did NO research. If she had, she may have realized that either cruising wasn't for her, or that she would have picked a different cruiseline, OR at the very least have been prepared for all the extra expenses.

But, judging from this thread, if she did do the research and decide cruising wasn't for her, people would say "how would she know when she's never been on one?" It seems like there's no way to win here.

Some people don't like cruising. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the "ship"

portion. I feel awkward getting waited on so lavishly, and don't enjoy many of the shows or activities. But I love the convenience of cruising, and the increased feel of luxury over a hotel. I love getting to relax with my husband in a beautiful setting (the ocean). There are places that I'd really enjoy cruising to (Alaska, islands), and places I'd much rather do a land vacation (pretty much anywhere in Europe). The things which makes cruising great for some are the exact things that make it a bad choice for others.

I have learned not to convince people they should try/love cruising. I have heard them all, some are valid reasons, some not so valid.

If someone gets extremely sea sick, I understand. Yes, there are remedies but I can see why someone wouldn't want to take the chance. Same for peole who have the fear of not being in control, out in the middle of the ocean. I don't get it, but if you legitimately have that deep down fear, then cruising isn't for you.

Most of the other reasons I hear are misconceptions, or things that shouldn't prevent you from enjoying cruising. They are:

• "Booze cruise" stereotype. That happens, but it's mostly limited to the 3-4 day cruises.
  • I also hear the opposite. "Cruises are for old, retired couples." What?!?!?
  • "Nothing to do." Hard to even respond to that one! Hey, I don't enjoy most of the shows as an example, but if you can't find something to do you're just not trying.
  • Bad food. Everyone has their own idea of what "good" food is. I happen to think food on the major lines is very good in general. Is it a 5 star restaurant? Of course not. But if that's important to you, there are cruises that cater to the foodie.
  • Too expensive/ extra charge for soda, alcohol, excursions, etc. I don't understand this. It's like any other vacation. You add up the total estimated cost and determine if it fits your budget or not.

Bottom line, like I said, I won't argue anymore. I just calmly say "that hasn't been my experience" and move on. If someone asks me to elaborate, I will, otherwise it's just not worth it. (We also enjoy Disney World, and people have even stronger reactions one way or the other!)

I know I won't find any cruise haters on Cruise Critic.. LOL

But I wonder if any of us have talked to anyone who took a cruise and absolutely hated the experience and vowed never to try again..

A friend of mine felt cloustrophobic (on a 90K Ton ship) and wasn't intertested in anything the ship had to offer... :confused:. Everything from the room, to the food, to the ports, made her miserable.

I won't name names, but I would rate this cruise line as a top mass market line and the ship was less than 5 years old.

I can't understand these types...

I am new on here, never been a cruise yet, but we are considering taking one this year.

Here are what I consider the draw backs to cruises.

1. Norwalk Virus ( so many people in such a small place viruses can run rampant)

2. All the extra fees and charges ( fee for higher class dining rooms, photos, sodas, alcohol)

3. Excursions cost twice as much for cruisers than if you just spent a week in Playa Del Carmen or elswhere.

I am new on here, never been a cruise yet, but we are considering taking one this year.

Here are what I consider the draw backs to cruises.

1. Norwalk Virus ( so many people in such a small place viruses can run rampant)

2. All the extra fees and charges ( fee for higher class dining rooms, photos, sodas, alcohol)

3. Excursions cost twice as much for cruisers than if you just spent a week in Playa Del Carmen or elswhere.

1. The Norwalk Virus (aka Norovirus) is actually much more common on land. The vast majority of cases stem from places such as nursing homes, schools, hospitals, restaurants, day care providers, etc. I believe only about 10% of Norovirus cases actually come from cruises and other vacation destinations combined. And when you consider how many cruises sail in any given year, on all the lines and all the itineraries, you'll realize that the odds of an outbreak happening on your sailing are very, very low. In fact, last year there were only 15 outbreaks on cruise ships for the whole year!

There are two reasons why it has become so connected to the cruise industry: First because the media likes to sensationalize these stories, which is where a lot of people get their information and ideas about the world around them; so when they only hear news stories of Norovirus on cruise ships, they think that's where it happens the most -- even if that's not true (and few people actually like to question what the media tells them and do independent research). And secondly because cruise ships are mandated by law to report an "outbreak" if more than 2% of the passengers come down with "stomach flu" type symptoms (whether it turns out it's Norovirus or not). Other facilities, such as the others listed above, do not have to report it (or at least not to such strict standards), or have no way of tracking it (like restaurants, where people get infected but then go home and later get sick).

Cruise ships take this very seriously. They quarantine passengers who may have it. And then they do hardcore disinfecting (on our last cruise, someone from our roll call got sick -- the ship quarantined him, and after a day or two, when he was better and they discovered it was something other than Norovirus, they still went into his stateroom in hazmat-type suits, and disinfected the heck out of it). If you take a tour of the ship's facilities, such as the kitchen, with most cruise lines you'll see a level of order, cleanliness and sanitization that I don't think I have EVER seen at a landbased restaurant. I once did a special tour of the kitchen on Princess, in the middle of dinner service, and was still impressed with how clean it was!

And finally, you can make the biggest impact on avoiding Norovirus, even if there is an "outbreak", by being diligent in washing your hands, using the provided hand sanitizers, and not touching your face or eating if your hands aren't clean -- but really, those are things you should be doing anyway.

2. Unless you go to one of the very few vacation destinations that are truly all-inclusive, you're going to be paying for all of those "extras" anyway. In fact, on most vacations, you'll have to pay for everything a la carte. With cruise ships you get your room, meals, basic beverages, and most of your entertainment for one fixed price. It's a choice to pay for the extras. And, even if you do, it's still a hell of a deal. I like to break down the cost per day of the cruise fare, and then compare it to a land-based vacation to the same destinations (including lodging, meals of the same quality, transportation, entertainment, and the other things you get standard with the cruise). Cruising typically beats out the alternative in terms of pricing. Plus, it's nice that everything's already waiting for you, so you don't have to think very much about where you're going to go or what you're going to do or how you're going to get there.

3. Excursions can be expensive. But they are optional. Additionally, they tend to be overpriced when purchased through the cruiseline. You can save a lot of money, and generally get a better, more customized and personalized experience by arranging your own excursions with vendors at the ports. We almost always go this route now, and we consistently see and do more than the cruise excursions for way less. Besides, even if you vacationed directly in the port, you'd still have to pay for those activities -- and you'd likely pay just as much as if you had arranged a private tour while there on a cruise ship. So, it's really a wash. Plus, there are often fun things you can do for free or very inexpensively in most of the ports if you're creative and resourceful.

2. Unless you go to one of the very few vacation destinations that are truly all-inclusive, you're going to be paying for all of those "extras" anyway. In fact, on most vacations, you'll have to pay for everything a la carte. With cruise ships you get your room, meals, basic beverages, and most of your entertainment for one fixed price. It's a choice to pay for the extras. And, even if you do, it's still a hell of a deal. I like to break down the cost per day of the cruise fare, and then compare it to a land-based vacation to the same destinations (including lodging, meals of the same quality, transportation, entertainment, and the other things you get standard with the cruise). Cruising typically beats out the alternative in terms of pricing. Plus, it's nice that everything's already waiting for you, so you don't have to think very much about where you're going to go or what you're going to do or how you're going to get there.

I have been pricing cruises and all inclusive resorts. I can take my family of three to Playa Del Carmen for 10 nights for right around $2,100.00 A nine night cruise in a inside cabin will run $2,800.00. The all inclusive has 7 resaurants to choose from, includes sodas, water and alcohol in the rooms plus at every bar on the resort. $4.00 for a beer, $6-8 for a mix drink. Since we are on vacation it would be nice to have 3-4 beers or drinks a day. At those prices on a 9 night cruise that will add up fast. I can get cheaper alcohol in bars in the states.

I've been on multiple cruises because they were event cruises (wedding, birthday, family reunion) or girls cruises and I really do not like cruising.

It is too much like drive by vacationing.

Example, a cruise stop in Key West is for something like eight hours and drops you off on Duval Street.

There are a million better places in Key West and things to do in the Keys than Duval Street and it probably last on my list.

When I vacation, I'll spend a week or two at a nice resort or rent an apartment in Europe.

I also don't like the food on cruises. It just isn't great unless you are paying extra.

I enjoy cruising more when I get in the mindset that the cruise ship is just one big resort.

I will say this however, I've stayed in some of the nicest resorts in the world and the service and amenities on a cruise ship is up there with the best of them.

Nope, don't like cruising.

Not trying to be rude but if you hate cruiseing why do you have over 8,000 posts on a cruise forum?

long time no see:D, been since the med and your honeymoon!!! you guys still good? now that was a great cruise! and back to the topic, that is one place that is cheaper and less stressful to see(europe) by cruiseship. no busing or traveling by train which digs into your vacation time because you travel at night when you are sleeping. wake up at a different port, run off see all you can see, get on, have a great supper and see a great show. the prices for hotels and food is high in europe and doing private tours are cheaper than the ships. also many ships,HAL and princess let you bring on wine etc. got my DD addicted last year:)

long time no see:D, been since the med and your honeymoon!!! you guys still good? now that was a great cruise! and back to the topic, that is one place that is cheaper and less stressful to see(europe) by cruiseship. no busing or traveling by train which digs into your vacation time because you travel at night when you are sleeping. wake up at a different port, run off see all you can see, get on, have a great supper and see a great show. the prices for hotels and food is high in europe and doing private tours are cheaper than the ships. also many ships,HAL and princess let you bring on wine etc. got my DD addicted last year:)

Hey Martha! Great to see you on CC! We're doing really well. Just bought a house, and about to celebrate our second anniversary. We haven't been on a cruise since our honeymoon (which was the most amazing vacation, and a perfect way to do Europe!) but we're excited to be heading to Alaska in August for our anniversary. I hope you and Wayne are both doing well too. :)

My guess is just "different strokes"

Have a friend. She and her hubby went on their first cruise.

He booked top of the line for everything.

Ship took 2 days to arrive at the first port. Some place in the Caribe.

Ship arrived and he and his wife promptly departed.

Told the concierge to give his trip to somebody on a honeymoon.

Hate is not the term.

Go figure

Gramps

My nephew knew I'd enjoyed several cruises and so when he was considering honeymoon trip, I gave him cruise information. His bride HATED the cruise. I never heard the details about her poor experiece, but being seasick was mentioned.

• 5 months later...

I have met some people who have boarded cruise tours but finished the trip unsatisfied. I always advice them to not let their first experience of a particular activity determine whether or not they like it. There are simply a lot of factors to consider, especially when selecting the tour package, the cruise operator, the location of the tour, and so on. Before booking at an all exclusive vacation travel agencies, I simply advice them to do thorough research on the places they will visit, as well as the cruise they will be boarding, including the amenities and recreational areas available on the cruise.

I have a friend who said she doesn't like cruising for several reasons:

time constraints - she said she doesn't like the idea of someone telling her when she has to be back on the ship. She wants to lay on the beach all day.

She also said she doesn't like being told when she is to eat dinner in dining room. She loves All-inclusive resorts though. The AI resorts also have you make a reservation for dining in the evening, so I am not so sure about why she has an issue with the assigned time in the dining room.

She also went on a girlfriends cruise several years ago in August and got caught in a (you guessed it) HURRICANE!!! She just can't let go that the weather was horrible, ship was moving quite a bit and on and on....

I did mention to her that that is a risk you take if you cruise during hurricane season.

I am happy to report that she and her husband(who loves to cruise) are joining our group for a four day cruise in January. I didn't try to talk her into anything. She had heard several of us going talking about it and called me one day and said they wanted to go! She feels that she will have a great time this time because it isn't during hurricane season and there is a large group of us going so it will be a lot of fun! I am really anxious to see if her perspective changes at all after the trip.

But for me and my husband-there is nothing better than cruising! We have done 2 all-inclusives and enjoyed it, but just prefer the open seas, being on the ship, just everything!!!

Vicki

I hear the same things from everyone that has never cruised before:

1. I dont want to get bored. (I have never been bored, not once?!)

2. I dont want to be cooped up all week. (Like your stuck in stateroom entire trip?!) LOL

3. I cant swim?! (Now what does this have to do with anything?! Dont go swimming then??)

4. I will get sea-sick. (Never happened to me either in all my cruises but suppose it could happen eventually)

5. Not enough time on each island to explore. (This is my brother's complaint and the reason why he has never cruised before.)

6. And last but not least- TOO EXPENSIVE. (If I can afford to cruise, anyone can! Its all about budgeting, well planning in advance and only spending what you can afford.)

I hate hearing any of these excuses, it really irrates me. I even had one of my co-workers and my daughter's teacher at the time say, "I didnt know your mom had MONEY?" :eek: after she shared with the class our vacation plans over springbreak to go on 9 night cruise. Doesn't get more ignorant that!! LOL:rolleyes::p

Why do people have to make it sound like something's wrong with people who don't like cruising? Is it reallly any different than how you don't like to fish and your husband does? Or you like shopping and he doesn't?

I don't get it.

I have been pricing cruises and all inclusive resorts. I can take my family of three to Playa Del Carmen for 10 nights for right around $2,100.00 A nine night cruise in a inside cabin will run $2,800.00. The all inclusive has 7 resaurants to choose from, includes sodas, water and alcohol in the rooms plus at every bar on the resort. $4.00 for a beer, $6-8 for a mix drink. Since we are on vacation it would be nice to have 3-4 beers or drinks a day. At those prices on a 9 night cruise that will add up fast. I can get cheaper alcohol in bars in the states.

Does that include the airfare to get 3 people to Playa del Carmen?

My dentist and his family did one cruise and hated it and would never consider another one. He told me the emphasis on food and overeating just made him feel ill. He also said they are not "nightclub people" and didn't like the shows so they didn't have anything to do in the evening. Everyone has a different idea of fun and obviously cruising isn't for everyone.

The first question that I get when trying to talk someone into cruising is that "if the cruise is all-inclusive, how come liquors not included in the price." These people swear by all-inclusive land resorts (the same way I swear by cruises). But after I explain a large percentage of the profit comes from liquor sales, they still don't get it. Well, to each it's own. I prefer to go to several places, than just one.

Archived