Why do you think some people hate cruising?

My best friends sister & her daughter went on a cruise last year and said that it was horrible and they'd never do it again. Her reasons:

Mediocre food and had to pay extra for "better" restaurants.

Had to pay for soda's, etc.

Shore excursions expensive so they didn't do any.

She didn't enjoy most of the shows onboard.

Said the cruise was generally boring.

Obviously she did NO research. If she had, she may have realized that either cruising wasn't for her, or that she would have picked a different cruiseline, OR at the very least have been prepared for all the extra expenses.

After 9 years and 10,000 posts you're surprised????:confused:

Good point. I guess I'm always hoping that we'll get beyond that and admit that it's okay for people to not like cruises and that we are not somehow "better" because we do. Ah well, one can always dream.

beachchick

The people who amaze me are the ones who say they "hate" something that they've never tried.

We went on our first cruise with an open mind ready to try just about everything the cruise had to offer. Did we like everything? Not necessarily - can't say we're into Bingo. But playing pool on a self-leveling pool table was cool (Radiance of the Seas).

I think any type of vacation is what you make of it. And there are folks who aren't satisfied no matter what they do.

Where do you all run across all these people who "hate" cruising and have never been? I have to say that I just don't hear that from people.

Sure, I've heard people say they "wouldn't like" cruising. But "hate" is kind of a strong word. Perhaps there is some exaggeration for effect here? (Genuinely curious...)

And re: those who "wouldn't like" cruising -- I have no problem with that. For example, I know that I "wouldn't like" camping ....... and I have never been.

Where do you all run across all these people who "hate" cruising and have never been? I have to say that I just don't hear that from people.

They overhear you explaining your cruise and how much you loved it then start blaring their 2 cents at you. Some just voice an opinion while others judge you for paying to bear such a large burden. I smile and suggest a 1 -3 day cruise.

I know I won't find any cruise haters on Cruise Critic.. LOL

But I wonder if any of us have talked to anyone who took a cruise and absolutely hated the experience and vowed never to try again..

A friend of mine felt cloustrophobic (on a 90K Ton ship) and wasn't intertested in anything the ship had to offer... :confused:. Everything from the room, to the food, to the ports, made her miserable.

I won't name names, but I would rate this cruise line as a top mass market line and the ship was less than 5 years old.

I can't understand these types...

I have heard everything from boring (?) to claustrophobic (?) to expensive (?), all of which make no sense to me.

There is always something happening on the ship or in port, so I don't know how it could be boring.

As for claustrophobic, huh? The cruise ships today are floating cities. Do they get claustrophobic in their own home, their own office? I really don't get that one.

As for expensive, dollar for cruising is one of the best travel values I have found...

But I wonder if any of us have talked to anyone who took a cruise and absolutely hated the experience and vowed never to try again..

A friend of mine felt cloustrophobic (on a 90K Ton ship) and wasn't intertested in anything the ship had to offer... :confused:. Everything from the room, to the food, to the ports, made her miserable.

I won't name names, but I would rate this cruise line as a top mass market line and the ship was less than 5 years old.

Different strokes for different people. Cruising is not for everyone. Just because you like it does not mean everyone else will also.

Yes, I have several friends and family members who tried it once, period, never to return. They didn't necessarily hate it, but it wasn't their thing. What's wrong with that? :confused:

Everything isn't for everyone. ;)

DH and I like cruising, but don't cruise exclusively as many here do. ;)

Sure, I've heard people say they "wouldn't like" cruising. But "hate" is kind of a strong word. Perhaps there is some exaggeration for effect here? (Genuinely curious...)

My mom's boyfriend was just telling me the other day that he'd never go on a cruise because he "knows [he'd] hate it". Those were his words.

I've also have experienced a few people in the past say that they hate the cruise lines or the passengers on cruise ships (even though they had never been on one). They're the same ones that called the ships "floating malls" and likened the passengers to "fat, stupid, redneck Walmart patrons". For them, it's more a product of their snobbishness (those same people tend to act like they're "too good" for a lot of things, because they think it makes them look elite, smarter and more "evolved" than others). For these people, this is certainly not a feeling of "I wouldn't like it, but it's cool if other people do". These people actually seem like they'd be happy if the cruiselines just ceased to exist, because they perceive them not only as "wasteful" and "stupid" but as being "evil" as well. Then again... these people I have in mind are the same types that wouldn't mind if every Red State in the Union suddenly was wiped off the map. (Guess that's what I get for living in the Bay Area and having gone to Berkeley with a lot of ultra-looney, extremist liberals).

My mom's boyfriend was just telling me the other day that he'd never go on a cruise because he "knows [he'd] hate it". Those were his words.

I've also have experienced a few people in the past say that they hate the cruise lines or the passengers on cruise ships (even though they had never been on one). They're the same ones that called the ships "floating malls" and likened the passengers to "fat, stupid, redneck Walmart patrons". For them, it's more a product of their snobbishness (those same people tend to act like they're "too good" for a lot of things, because they think it makes them look elite, smarter and more "evolved" than others). For these people, this is certainly not a feeling of "I wouldn't like it, but it's cool if other people do". These people actually seem like they'd be happy if the cruiselines just ceased to exist, because they perceive them not only as "wasteful" and "stupid" but as being "evil" as well. Then again... these people I have in mind are the same types that wouldn't mind if every Red State in the Union suddenly was wiped off the map. (Guess that's what I get for living in the Bay Area and having gone to Berkeley with a lot of ultra-looney, extremist liberals).

Maybe you are just hanging out with the wrong crowd! ;)

Honestly, I never talk a lot about my vacations to people I work with; it just seems like an invitation to jealousy or whatever. I have certain travel buddies I can share with, and of course my family are all into travel as well.

I just find it surprising that so many people apparently pass judgement on what others do on vacation (!)

Maybe you are just hanging out with the wrong crowd! ;)

Needless to say, those people aren't in my circle of friends! They can enjoy their negativity and judgmental self-righteousness somewhere where I'm not. :p The hard part is that I know I wont be able to fully escape people with that attitude as long as I'm living in the Bay Area. Somehow, they seem to pop out of the woodworks from time to time. :)

Needless to say, those people aren't in my circle of friends! They can enjoy their negativity and judgmental self-righteousness somewhere where I'm not. :p The hard part is that I know I wont be able to fully escape people with that attitude as long as I'm living in the Bay Area. Somehow, they seem to pop out of the woodworks from time to time. :)

You're unlikely to escape it no matter what and those attitudes have little to do with political beliefs. There are people on all parts of the political spectrum who act like they are superior, elite, always right, and so on; there are people of all political stripes who are negative, complainers who can't find the good in anything or anyone who doesn't believe exactly as they do. BTW, what will you do when you find someone you agree with politically who doesn't like cruising? (And why the heck bring politics into vacationing in the first place. It's not a conservative vs liberal vs independent issue. The broad range of beliefs held by the members right here on CC attest to that.)

beachchick

I have a friend that say she would not ever do a cruise!! She doesn't like being in the middle of the ocean?? How would she know she has never been in the middle of a lake!!! So I don't try to convience her that she would like it. Then I have a SIL that thinks its too expensive but they will go to Hilton Head for 2 weeks and spend way over $5000.00 or more and the also go to Vegas and gamble a lot. My DB would go in a heart beat but not her!! I'm sometimes tempted to just invite him but I'm sure he would get hammered by her.Oh did I say that you can't please her no matter what???

everyone has their own thing going on and it's no skin off my butt whether or not they like cruising or pork chops or vanilla bean candles.

People that decide *whatever* are free to do so and I don't bother trying to change their opinions or inform them. People think I must be super wealthy or crazy to own timeshares, and if they wanna know about it, I'll tell them. Otherwise, let em think I'm a silly rich eccentric.

People will believe whatever from whichever source, good one or not. If they wanna know the truth for themselves, they will take a cruise. If they'd rather cling to whatever beliefs they have built up, let em. More cabins for the rest of us.

I'm just glad my whole family likes to cruise! As for others I know, some will never go on a cruise because 1) they feel confined, 2) don't spend enough time in port for them to really see the place and 3) don't feel like being on a boat with 1000's of people. As for me, I don't agree with any of it! Put me on a ship anytime, anywhere, I love it! I like cruising because I like meeting new people, participating in activities such as trivia, games, etc. (eating is part of it but I don't go for the food alone)! It's just the thought of having to unpack only once and it's totally relaxing for me! Cruising for me is the only way!

I could sit on the serinity deck for 7 days straight. I'll lift the Margarita if somebody else would hold a sandwich to my mouth once a day.

If I hear one person bitching I'll get off my duff long enough to toss'm.

........So I guess we're on the ship for different reasons than many other people.

No you're not my friend. When I was 17 I figured out that on my death bed I'd want to hear myself say "I'm glad I did" rather than "I wish I had" and I've been persuing that my entire life. Just yesterday I was watching a documentory with a bunch of people playing shuffle-board on the final voyage of the QE2 off Somalia and I though to myself 'I wouldn't be playing shuffle-board, I'd be watching for pirates with the crew." Why? Because in my life's repertoire I could add that: I scouted for pirates while on the last sailing of the QE2. How cool is that???!!!

The thing is on a cruise board it stands to reason thier would be more people who are Pro-cruising then not. I mean im researching my first cruise and gathering information. I am getting help from a board where the majority love to cruise. Will I do non cruise trips in the future. Yes I know I will as I am a backpacker. But will I also mix that with cruising. Oh yes I defently will.

I think on this board which is dedicated to both the good and the bad sides of cruising would gather people who feel strongly about it. But then I also read that only a small percentage of the cruising public even knows about this board. I am so glad I found it as ive learned so much in such a short period of time. Im truly glad for the things I have learned thats for sure.

Adri :)

I'm a backpacker too. Avidly.

:o is.......

me wanting to shop in a walmart store!!!!!!!! Just the whole demographics of it fascinates me...

Any of my friends / family (or their family / friends etc) coming home from the US are always eagerly questioned by me;

"Did ya visit a walmart store? Did ya buy anything there??? Did ya see any of 'them" people that are photographed then emailed across the spam lines?"

LMAO!!!! Unhappily so, no-one ever admits to being in one! I swear I'll get in there one day. I particularly would love to see someone one with one of "them" lubberly electronic bracelets!!!!!

:D

But I do always wonder how come they appear to make a lot of money and yet no-one ever admits to shopping there!!!

:o is.......

me wanting to shop in a walmart store!!!!!!!! Just the whole demographics of it fascinates me...

Any of my friends / family (or their family / friends etc) coming home from the US are always eagerly questioned by me;

"Did ya visit a walmart store? Did ya buy anything there??? Did ya see any of 'them" people that are photographed then emailed across the spam lines?"

LMAO!!!! Unhappily so, no-one ever admits to being in one! I swear I'll get in there one day. I particularly would love to see someone one with one of "them" lubberly electronic bracelets!!!!!

:D

But I do always wonder how come they appear to make a lot of money and yet no-one ever admits to shopping there!!!

No need to step foot in one. Just check out http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Interesting thread!

I should be one of those people who dislikes cruising: terribly prone to seasickness (and had a horrible night our first night out, with 25-foot seas and 70-mph winds), hate crowds and being herded like cattle, 'touristy' activities, seeing gluttony and waste being celebrated. Also not fond of beaches (too much sand) and sun (I can burn in 15 minutes) and heat and humidity. So here we go--next vacation is Eastern Caribbean in July and I think we're going to have a fabulous time. Whatevs.

It's ok..have been on a few..but after seeing other parts of the world on land, to me a cruise is like a floating American hotel. I suppose it's like an appetizer to see if you might like to return to a certain place for a longer vacation. But I have good travel experiences on land because I have friends in several countries so I don't get your typical tourist experience on a land based tour. I live in FL which is tropical, can swim in my own pool, go to the beach across the street and can have my own margarita on my patio. I have a second home in Jamaica and that suits me fine too. Born in Brazil, have been to England, Japan, and other places and now Italy in August. Too much to see in the world without being confined on a ship.

What I always wonder is why the die-hard cruisers make it look like something is wrong with the people who don't share that pasion. And I really have a disdain for the judgemental people who go and psychoanalyze what's wrong with the people who don't like cruises.

To the OP..if you want to know why some don't like it, ask them. That's my tip for the day.

And BH..you shocked me! :)

I could sit on the serinity deck for 7 days straight. I'll lift the Margarita if somebody else would hold a sandwich to my mouth once a day.

If I hear one person bitching I'll get off my duff long enough to toss'm.

This made me laugh out loud!!! I feel exactly the same way! I am lucky that my family and closest friends love cruising as much as my husband and I. But I also can appreciate those that do not share my opinion. This is fine by me. I would never want to try and talk someone into trying something they obviously think they will hate etc..... To each his own.

Archived