Why do you think some people hate cruising?

We have 4 friends (couples) who are not cruisers although all have tried cruising.

One booked an Amazon River cruise, but didn't like the mostly sea days. :confused: He has an MBA-Harvard, he should have known how many were sea days!:rolleyes:

The other 3 have been Alaska, Bahamas, Carribean. None were sorry they went, but none would cruise again, just 'not their thing'.

I have booked 3 cruises since DW and I decided to quit cruising and [see the USA] to quote Doris Day. We have enjoyed all of them, but are not planning others. (This may change IF DW hits a huge jackpot and we see a great cruise that we don't have to fly to or from.

Next trip: New Orleans! Shame I haven't been there, but have been to most EU countries (Including San Marino, Andorra, East Germany [it was then], Lichtenstein, Vatican City.

I hear the same things from everyone that has never cruised before:

1. I dont want to get bored. (I have never been bored, not once?!)

It's great that you've never been bored, but I'll bet there are activities that others love to do that you find dull as dirt.

2. I dont want to be cooped up all week. (Like your stuck in stateroom entire trip?!) LOL

Maybe they don't want to be tied to a ship all week? Cooped up doesn't necessarily mean the cabin only.

3. I cant swim?! (Now what does this have to do with anything?! Dont go swimming then??)

An unusual reason to be sure, but some people are very afraid of the ocean and would be uncomfortable with the idea that something could happen. True, problems are very rare indeed, but their fear is a personal thing.

4. I will get sea-sick. (Never happened to me either in all my cruises but suppose it could happen eventually)

Many people are quite aware of how motion sensitive they are. Just because you've never gotten seasick doesn't mean that others don't.

5. Not enough time on each island to explore. (This is my brother's complaint and the reason why he has never cruised before.)

This is an etremely logical reason! Some people prefer to explore fewer places in depth, which you cannot do on a cruise. There's nothing wrong with them.

6. And last but not least- TOO EXPENSIVE. (If I can afford to cruise, anyone can! Its all about budgeting, well planning in advance and only spending what you can afford.)

Affordable is relative. Aside from that, it's also priorities. Your budget priorities include cruising; other people have their own priorities, equally valid.

I hate hearing any of these excuses, it really irrates me. I even had one of my co-workers and my daughter's teacher at the time say, "I didnt know your mom had MONEY?" :eek: after she shared with the class our vacation plans over springbreak to go on 9 night cruise. Doesn't get more ignorant that!! LOL:rolleyes::p

Those aren't excuses--They are reasons. I think it's irritating when others can't accept that not everyone likes doing the same thing. It's kind of arrogant for any of us to assume that because we like cruising, then everyone else must also. So your daughter's teacher and a co-worker were "ignorant" of how reasonably priced cruising can be. So what? It's not very nice to make fun of someone who is uninformed about a subject. Besides, what's reasonable to one person might be too pricy for someone else. Seriously, how would you feel if someone told you that you were wrong for not liking something they liked or if they tried to make you feel wrong or stupid for not knowing something.

It's attitudes like this that make some people think we who cruise are "snooty" in some way.

Why do people have to make it sound like something's wrong with people who don't like cruising? Is it reallly any different than how you don't like to fish and your husband does? Or you like shopping and he doesn't?

I don't get it.

Thank you! I completely agree.

beachchick

You make too much sense..they don't want to hear that on here..LOL :)

If I have $2000 to spend on travel, you can bet I'm going to spend it either going hiking in South America, shopping in France or hoofing it all though Europe..the cruise is the last thing I'm going to spend it on..there is nothing wrong with them, but FOR ME (not everyone else) it's hardly a travel experience, getting off in a port for a few hours can be nice and a good snapshot of countries I'd like to visit on a land based vacation.

Does that mean something is wrong? or just because I have a different taste in what I want in a vacation?

I do think for the person who is on a budget and not able to travel the way I have been fortunate to, it's an ideal travel bargain.and to me, it's nothing more than a floating American hotel with foreign employees..kinda like Florida..LOL

Good call Beachchick on how the "snooty" attitude develops about cruising..

Those aren't excuses--They are reasons. I think it's irritating when others can't accept that not everyone likes doing the same thing. It's kind of arrogant for any of us to assume that because we like cruising, then everyone else must also. So your daughter's teacher and a co-worker were "ignorant" of how reasonably priced cruising can be. So what? It's not very nice to make fun of someone who is uninformed about a subject. Besides, what's reasonable to one person might be too pricy for someone else. Seriously, how would you feel if someone told you that you were wrong for not liking something they liked or if they tried to make you feel wrong or stupid for not knowing something.

It's attitudes like this that make some people think we who cruise are "snooty" in some way.

beachchick

• 4 weeks later...

beachchick

Ok beachchick, I wasnt talking to you directly! I simlpy answered the question like everyone else does on this site. If you dont like the answers dont read and def dont respond?! Its ppl like you that answer other ppls responses like you did here that sounds snooty!? It is ignorant to state such a comment to my daughter like that infront of the entire class, shame you dont understand how that would be. Thanks for your two cents but they really were useless and served no purpose other than to belittle my post?! I never said it was wrong for them not liking cruising (great reader btw:rolleyes:) I stated the reasons I have heard WHY ppl dont cruise?! LOL

Its SNOOTY ppl like you that feel you have to respond to other ppls post and opinions is why newcomers to these boards feel that they would rather not post?! I sure dont blame them at all.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
1. Misconceptions------they don't understand how huge the ships are, they have taken ferry boats and equate cruise ships to those, they are convinced they will spend the time barfing over the railings, they're afraid they'll be bored.

I really felt like that till I took my first cruise. We live about 40 minutes from a port so I went there a few days ago to see what the ship looked like at close quarters. That put my mind at rest and chased all the "little boat" fears away and now I just love to cruise!

My late Dad was another one- his famous comment was "all he would do is go to the engine room to watch the ship run" So my mom, bless her, who is 97, never got a chance to cruise.

Our first cruise in 1988 was not great-the old Sun Princess. Tiny cabin, crowded ship, lousy food. It was sold right after its next cruise.

Fortunately it did not deter us from cruising. In 1993 my wife had a brain hemorrhage that impaired her, but cruising was a great way for us to travel. She could stay on the ship and enjoy the experience, and I could get some respite time. Our last cruise in 2005 was 3 months before she passed away, and she even enjoyed that one.

Since then, I took 3 cruises on my own, then met a wonderful lady who shares my love of travel. Since then, we have been on 10 cruises, but also take land tours.

I hear the same things from everyone that has never cruised before:

1. I dont want to get bored. (I have never been bored, not once?!) Not everyone enjoys the same shipboard activities...or enjoys not doing anything

2. I dont want to be cooped up all week. (Like your stuck in stateroom entire trip?!) LOL Again, not everyone enjoys the shipboard activities or enjoys not doing anything. Not having activities they enjoy could make one feel cooped up. Agree, a port intensive cruise might solve this issue.

3. I cant swim?! (Now what does this have to do with anything?! Dont go swimming then??) This is a bit confusing.....perhaps they think if you go to an island all there is to do is swim in the ocean? But, even if that is the case, there are a lot of cruises that don't go to islands....

4. I will get sea-sick. (Never happened to me either in all my cruises but suppose it could happen eventually) So since you have never gotten sea sick, nobody has? Trust me, people do get sea sick even in calm waters and it is not a fun way to spend a vacation.

5. Not enough time on each island to explore. (This is my brother's complaint and the reason why he has never cruised before.) This is actually legitimate if you want to really get the feel for each island (or port in Alaska or New England or .....). You only have time to get a brief overview. If you really want the feel of a place, you have to spend more than 8 hours there.

6. And last but not least- TOO EXPENSIVE. (If I can afford to cruise, anyone can! Its all about budgeting, well planning in advance and only spending what you can afford.) While cruising can be a reasonably priced vacation, "too expensive" is relative to how much disposable income someone has. This is something that really irritates me....someone getting irritated at someone else saying this or that is too expensive...until you know their situation and have walked in those shoes, don't criticize someone for thinking anything is out of their financial means.

I hate hearing any of these excuses, it really irrates me. I even had one of my co-workers and my daughter's teacher at the time say, "I didnt know your mom had MONEY?" :eek: after she shared with the class our vacation plans over springbreak to go on 9 night cruise. Doesn't get more ignorant that!! LOL:rolleyes::p

To a lot of people, a 9 night cruise is very expensive...not ignorant or LOL funny. Ignorant is belittling people for not having as much money as your parent's do...Perhaps once you are paying your own way in life, you won't be so judgmental of people's financial situation.

Cruising is not for everyone, just like AI vacations are not for everyone, just like road trip vacations are not for everyone, just like flying to a destination is not for everyone. If everyone liked the same thing, this would be a pretty boring world....

We did not cruise until well into our 60s because it simply did not occur to us that it might be a good use of our small bag of disposable income. Our exposure to cruising was the occasional glance at an ancient rerun of "Love Boat." Most cruise lines marketed to a younger, yupper demographic. Few of our friends or aquaintences had any cruising experience. Then up popped an ad for a cruise up the inside passage to Glacier Bay from Seattle. We bit. Now we're seriously addicted and only regret we waited so long.

While my DW and I love to cruise, I have a brother and his wife that do not.

Their reasons:

1. The cabins are small compared to the rooms they usually get in their favorite vacation spot, Las Vegas.

2. The entertainment is limited. They are used to top name entertainment and shows.

3. The food is mediocre at best and not many choices.

4. The swimming pools are small, compared to a resort pool.

5. Port stops are only for a few hours.

6. At a resort, they can bring their own beer.

7. The cost. For them, Vegas is a cheaper vacation. They get their food, entertainment, and suite comped.

Vegas is NOT a cheaper vacation--we spend more on 3-5 days in Vegas than a week cruise..and they only comp our rooms!!! (no suite) so they are FULL of if that it is cheaper. They HAVE to spend more than the $500/wk we have spent on our cruises to get those comps!!!

I am not in my room in Vegas (over 20 trips; married there) or on a cruise, so who cares how big it is--comfy bed, hot shower, room for everything, I am good.

Entertainment may be a bit more limited than Vegas, but every bit as good (shows in Vegas range greatly in quality!)

Some pools in Vegas are worse than ones on a ship...

Food in Vegas is as varied as food on a ship...

Port stops--um,,,you are in VEGAS OR on a ship w/ several ports...not better, just different...but not comparison!

I brought wine & gin on my cruise..........depends how inventive & courageous you are...

And cost...sry, but 7 days on a cruise compares to a shorter trip in Vegas for the same cash.....

Hey, cruising isn't for everyone; but to make judgments without even trying is foolish. DH was NOT terribly interested in our first cruise, but since I wanted to go (my folks encouraged me), he begrudgingly went along--AND LOVED IT! (his first comment when we got on the ship--OMG, this is like Vegas on a ship!!)

I question those who say they get bored--HUH? Do they even TRY some of the activities? We are active vacationers & frankly one of the draws of cruises is the multitude of activities at any given time (edge to Princess over RCCL for activity choices at any given time--but still had a blast on RCCL!)

And you are all right--ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING. That Carnival ship that lost power a few weeks ago? Mom, Dad, DH--we all said we would STILL have had a good time--consider it an adventure! ANY vacation is a good one!!!

Ok beachchick, I wasnt talking to you directly! I simlpy answered the question like everyone else does on this site. If you dont like the answers dont read and def dont respond?! Its ppl like you that answer other ppls responses like you did here that sounds snooty!? It is ignorant to state such a comment to my daughter like that infront of the entire class, shame you dont understand how that would be. Thanks for your two cents but they really were useless and served no purpose other than to belittle my post?! I never said it was wrong for them not liking cruising (great reader btw:rolleyes:) I stated the reasons I have heard WHY ppl dont cruise?! LOL

Its SNOOTY ppl like you that feel you have to respond to other ppls post and opinions is why newcomers to these boards feel that they would rather not post?! I sure dont blame them at all.

Thank you!

I don't see that it matters whether you were talking to me directly. You stated your positions and I disagreed with them. We're allowed to do that here. You disagreed with my post and said so. Same thing. I will read and respond to what I choose, as long as I don't break the rules. Just because you don't like what I wrote doesn't mean you get to tell me not to respond.

As a matter of fact, you wrote specifically that all those "excuses" (you did not call them reasons, which is a different thing entirely) "irritate" you. You wrote that people who don't know about cruising (in that case, that it's affordable for you) are ignorant and to be laughed at. So yes, it sure sounds as if you think people are wrong for not liking or wanting to cruise.

It is certainly unfortunate and wrong for anyone, especially a teacher in front of a class, to make comments about having money when your daughter shared a planned trip. Any comment about money or finances in those circumstances is inappropriate because it can and probably did embarrass you and your daughter. I still don't think that means "it doesn't get more ignorant than that" or that it's so funny. Perhaps you should take them aside and explain not that cruises are inexpensive and easy to do (because those are personal opinions), but that mentioning finances, especially to children, is wrong and embarrassing. You should be upset about how the comments were made.

Cruising is not for everyone, just like AI vacations are not for everyone, just like road trip vacations are not for everyone, just like flying to a destination is not for everyone. If everyone liked the same thing, this would be a pretty boring world....

Just wanted to mention that cruizinrican is the mom and was describing an incident that happened in her daughter's class. I'm reasonably sure that she is already paying her own way in life. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think so.

However, I agree with you that cruising is not for everyone and that it doesn't really matter why someone doesn't want to cruise. It's an entirely personal decision.

beachchick

Like I told you..you make too much sense and people don't want to hear that on these boards...LOL:D

I don't see that it matters whether you were talking to me directly. You stated your positions and I disagreed with them. We're allowed to do that here. You disagreed with my post and said so. Same thing. I will read and respond to what I choose, as long as I don't break the rules. Just because you don't like what I wrote doesn't mean you get to tell me not to respond.

As a matter of fact, you wrote specifically that all those "excuses" (you did not call them reasons, which is a different thing entirely) "irritate" you. You wrote that people who don't know about cruising (in that case, that it's affordable for you) are ignorant and to be laughed at. So yes, it sure sounds as if you think people are wrong for not liking or wanting to cruise.

It is certainly unfortunate and wrong for anyone, especially a teacher in front of a class, to make comments about having money when your daughter shared a planned trip. Any comment about money or finances in those circumstances is inappropriate because it can and probably did embarrass you and your daughter. I still don't think that means "it doesn't get more ignorant than that" or that it's so funny. Perhaps you should take them aside and explain not that cruises are inexpensive and easy to do (because those are personal opinions), but that mentioning finances, especially to children, is wrong and embarrassing. You should be upset about how the comments were made.

Just wanted to mention that cruizinrican is the mom and was describing an incident that happened in her daughter's class. I'm reasonably sure that she is already paying her own way in life. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think so.

However, I agree with you that cruising is not for everyone and that it doesn't really matter why someone doesn't want to cruise. It's an entirely personal decision.

beachchick

beachchick

I see now I did misread that...was thinking someone said to HER that her mom must be rich.

Archived