Help me understand Trip Insurance

Meredisney

Hello Everyone! I did a search and found many threads about Trip Insurance, but I could find the answer I was looking for. I hope someone can help me.

I purchased my cruise through XXXXXXXXX and I elected the trip insurance. I am trying to find out if the trip insurance is provided by Cruises Only, or if it is the Princess Insurance? I paid $98 extra for the insurance ($49 a person for two people)

The reason I am asking is so that I can read up on the terms of the insurance.

Thank You,

Meredisney

You need to go to your TA to find out exactly what insurance you have and what it covers. There's no "one size fits all" insurance, unfortunately. Some insurance policies don't cover cancelation unless it's for medical reasons or death. Princess insurance has a "cancel for any reason." Some policies have a pre-existing medical condition clause, others don't. Some will allow you to cancel if you lose your job or have a job change, others don't. Some cover air, Princess doesn't unless you've purchased Princess air and even then, they only get you to the next port. Most cruise insurance is "secondary" insurance in that you must submit your claims to your already existing insurance and if that doesn't pay, then the cruise insurance does. Most policies have a limit as to what they will reimburse. You need to read the fine print and decide which type of insurance is best for you. Some are better in case you have to cancel or miss the ship, others are better in case you have a medical problem.

To read up on trip insurance policies and loads of advice, check out the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum down the main page under Discussion Topics. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Pam is right, as usual, that you need to have your TA give you the DOC for whatever policy you purchased. I see that you are somewhat new, too, so you might also want to read the board rules, which prohibit naming TA's or agencies or even offering to send emails with that information. You can email the board host (hostAndy@cruisecritic.com) and ask them to edit your post so that it won't be deleted. :)

To read up on trip insurance policies and loads of advice, check out the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum down the main page under Discussion Topics. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Pam is right, as usual, that you need to have your TA give you the DOC for whatever policy you purchased. I see that you are somewhat new, too, so you might also want to read the board rules, which prohibit naming TA's or agencies or even offering to send emails with that information. You can email the board host (hostAndy@cruisecritic.com) and ask them to edit your post so that it won't be deleted. :)

Ok, sorry. didn't want to offend. Thanks for the tip.

WOW 49 bucks, that is pretty cheap! Either going on a very inexpensive cruise or coverage is minimum ?

Hello Everyone! I did a search and found many threads about Trip Insurance, but I could find the answer I was looking for. I hope someone can help me.

I purchased my cruise through XXXXXXXXX and I elected the trip insurance. I am trying to find out if the trip insurance is provided by Cruises Only, or if it is the Princess Insurance? I paid $98 extra for the insurance ($49 a person for two people)

The reason I am asking is so that I can read up on the terms of the insurance.

Thank You,

Meredisney

I have some questions too. If I book my own transportation, and I book my cruise through an agency and include insurance coverage, does this also cover my transportation? If I could not get to the cruise in Rome because the airplane didn't take off because of the Volcano, would I be covered? I only covered the cruise, not the airfare in the Insurance.

I am on a cruise to Egypt Nov 22 out of Rome, I have already booked my airfare but not the cruise yet. Is there Insurance out there that I can buy to cover both of there when final payment comes up in August?

Thanks for any answers...

Amelia

That all depends on what insurance you plan to buy, but probably not. Most policies have exclusions for foreseen events; the volcano ash cloud is a known, existing event. Almost all policies came out in mid-April saying anything sold after that date did not cover delays due to the ash cloud, so if you did not already have coverage, it is probably impossible to find now.

I bought a policy so we'd be covered if we lost our jobs. Well, my husband lost his job and guess what? We were NOT covered. In the small print I now find out that because some of his time with the employer was as a contractor, he didn't meet the requirements to have been employed for one year. So we can't get our money back.

On the plus side, we are being forced to take a vacation and I'm looking forward to it, since we have no choice! :)

I have some questions too. If I book my own transportation, and I book my cruise through an agency and include insurance coverage, does this also cover my transportation? If I could not get to the cruise in Rome because the airplane didn't take off because of the Volcano, would I be covered? I only covered the cruise, not the airfare in the Insurance.

I am on a cruise to Egypt Nov 22 out of Rome, I have already booked my airfare but not the cruise yet. Is there Insurance out there that I can buy to cover both of there when final payment comes up in August?

Thanks for any answers...

Amelia

I would say your privately booked flights WOULD NOT be covered, why would they be if you only purchase cruise insurance? If you only covered the cruise costs, that will not insure your flights. I would suggest you take out seperate flight insurance for that.

Now, the TA I used has a policy you can purchase that is not through Princess and we can add to it for flight coverage, of course it is based on the cost, so the policy to cover flights would be much higher than just the cruise insurance. If the company you book through offers this, then you will be all set, if things like the pre-existing volcano are covered in the policy.

I bought a policy so we'd be covered if we lost our jobs. Well, my husband lost his job and guess what? We were NOT covered. In the small print I now find out that because some of his time with the employer was as a contractor, he didn't meet the requirements to have been employed for one year. So we can't get our money back. On the plus side, we are being forced to take a vacation and I'm looking forward to it, since we have no choice!
That fine print can be a real PIA..sorry it wasn't what you thought you were getting. Glad to know you are making lemonade out of that particular lemon, though.

I have had good luck with my on-line TA. When I book the cruise I accept the 3rd party insurance immediately (3rd party not Princess, and not from the TA agency but from an insurance agency through the TA). This takes care of the cruise. When flights, hotels, precruise/postcruise arrangements are made then go back and add on to the original travel insurance policy. Wish could cover land trips and independent travel under a travel insurance policy. Guess in reality if not buying travel insurance then you are self-insuring. I ALWAYS buy travel insurance for cruises, always add pre/post cruise and air flights (because these often run as much as the cruise if you go a week early and stay a week later.) and have ALWAYS been lucky not to need it. The best insurance ever is the one you don't have to use. :D

That all depends on what insurance you plan to buy, but probably not. Most policies have exclusions for foreseen events; the volcano ash cloud is a known, existing event. Almost all policies came out in mid-April saying anything sold after that date did not cover delays due to the ash cloud, so if you did not already have coverage, it is probably impossible to find now.

OK so I had my cruise re-fared in mid April for a price adjustment with insurance included, I wonder if this changed the policy, or does this even matter if I won't pay for the insurance until I pay my final payment in August? Thanks for your info, you seem like you really know insurance!

:)

I would say your privately booked flights WOULD NOT be covered, why would they be if you only purchase cruise insurance? If you only covered the cruise costs, that will not insure your flights. I would suggest you take out seperate flight insurance for that.

Now, the TA I used has a policy you can purchase that is not through Princess and we can add to it for flight coverage, of course it is based on the cost, so the policy to cover flights would be much higher than just the cruise insurance. If the company you book through offers this, then you will be all set, if things like the pre-existing volcano are covered in the policy.

Thanks Toto...Can I buy a policy to cover my air and cruise when final payment comes, and will I be able to buy a policy that will cover the Ash cloud because that is the thing I am worried about?

Thanks Toto...Can I buy a policy to cover my air and cruise when final payment comes, and will I be able to buy a policy that will cover the Ash cloud because that is the thing I am worried about?

It all depends on what you are wanting to cover (such as pre-existing conditions) and if you want to take out private insurance that is based on the price you totally paid for both.

As for the Ash Cloud causing delays or cancellations, that is something I honestly know nothing about, but my guess is that most policys won't cover it as it was a pre-existing condition caused by mother nature. I would get with one of the major insurance carriers or talk with your TA to see what type of policy would cover everything you are looking for. Good luck, I hope you find one and that the price doesn't scare you half to death. ;)

It all depends on what you are wanting to cover (such as pre-existing conditions) and if you want to take out private insurance that is based on the price you totally paid for both.

As for the Ash Cloud causing delays or cancellations, that is something I honestly know nothing about, but my guess is that most policys won't cover it as it was a pre-existing condition caused by mother nature. I would get with one of the major insurance carriers or talk with your TA to see what type of policy would cover everything you are looking for. Good luck, I hope you find one and that the price doesn't scare you half to death. ;)

Now I have to hope that British Airways changes the flight schedules I booked so long ago (a year in advance) so I have an opportunity to cancel them, that is the only way I will get my flight money back!

I guess this is a perfect time to plan "last minute" travels, rather than plan something that may or may not work.

Thanks for your help.

Amelia

OK so I had my cruise re-fared in mid April for a price adjustment with insurance included, I wonder if this changed the policy, or does this even matter if I won't pay for the insurance until I pay my final payment in August? Thanks for your info, you seem like you really know insurance!

:)

My guess is you received a quote for Princess insurance, which means that it will not cover privately purchased air, no matter when you pay for it.

Archived