Room Security question?

dasher1616

I am going to look for threads here about actual thefts as opposed to worries. I suppose crew members are closely screened and face heavy punishment if they get caught stealing. I suppose few thieves are buying expensive cruises for the chance of a big haul in an open-cabin snatch and grab.

I generally cruise with quite abit of equipment and never worry about it but I also don't leave it in plain sight. However a note on locking your suitcase..a total waste of time. Anyone with a pen can open and rezip your locked bag and you won't know until you open it. I don't have the lick in front of me but I am pretty sure that there is a video of just how easy it is to do on utube.

Here is a positive story:

My wife wears a pair of gold dolphin earrings her late husband bought for her, and leaves them in a glass in the bathroom overnight. When she went to put them on, they were nowhere to be found!

While touring Vienna that morning, I had a thought. When we got back on the ship for lunch, I requested that someone from maintenance check our bathroom sink trap for the earrings. We left for a tour in the afternoon, and I left a note for the maintenance person to tell him what to look for. When we came back from our tour, there was the note, and atop the note were the earrings!!!!

My wife was very glad that she did not accuse our cabin stewardess, as that was her first thought.

On Carnival or RCCL, we have never hidden our electronic equipment or other stuff. The laptop is left on the desk, camera/camcorder are usually left in the camera bag sitting on the chair/sofa or sitting on the shelf of the table. Watches and jewelry alternate between the desk and safe, and we've never had a problem.

I honestly do not think staff would ever be the theives,, I do beleive leaving the cabin door open can lead to some stealing,, but only what is in plain view.. so I do think a locked suitcase will help.. most thefts I think are impulsive..

Who carries 5,000 dollars worth of jewerely with them on vacation?/ Other then wedding rings which I assume you wear unless sleeping. Some people are just ripe for picking.

• 2 weeks later...
My experience has been with HAL and I am by no means a pro, but I pack alot of photo gear. I left about 5grand worth of gear in my gear bag and sometimes even just a body with telephoto mounted sitting on the .

Thats what I would do, put it in a bag or out of sight. The cabin stewards should be honest, but we all know they have run back to their carts with the door left open where another pax could duck in if something is left in plain sight.

Archived