Any medical shots needed?

dogo88

We're on the Panama Canal mid October cruise and a question came up in our group about any extra needed medical shots because we'd be touring in Panama and Costa Rica. The country tours could expose you to a variety of insect bites we don't get in the States. I don't remember reading anywhere that it's needed, but I may have missed it. So I figured I drop a thread here and see what others have done.

Thanks,

Dan

Only one shot you might need but there is no shot.... DIARRHEA!.

Do not eat or drink anything off ship.. unless bottle water that you bring from the ship.

See my post on our 2nd Panama Canal Cruise.

We never got off the ship but still got infected.

Not to mention that if you spend anytime at all on land in most Central American countries you'll be barred from blood donation for about a year. Never been clear in my mind if that including cruising though I'd think not but not sure. I know I mentioned I'd been on land in Panama and Costa Rico and that was sufficient for the twelve month bar. As it turned out I was discussing my other travels with the Red Cross staff and it turned out that since I lived in Europe for so long that I was technically exposed to mad cow decease and therefore can never donate. Travel in Central America obviously became irrelevant.

...........As it turned out I was discussing my other travels with the Red Cross staff and it turned out that since I lived in Europe for so long that I was technically exposed to mad cow decease and therefore can never donate.................

Sorry for the deviation, but may I ask what the European blood banks do?

Sorry for the deviation, but may I ask what the European blood banks do?

They do not allow donations from family members of those who have had CJD (aka "mad cow disease"). That is the reason that in the US, people who have lived in Europe can't donate - there is a very small chance they might be infected with CJD but not be sick yet. The disease is extremely rare, but lots of people need blood, so in Europe they can't possibly exclude all of their own citizens! They exclude specifically those donors who seem to be at risk - family members of CJD patients.

The reason for not donating in the US for 12 months - 3 years after travel to certain countries in Central and South America, Africa and Asia is the risk of malaria infection, which theoretically can remain asymptomatic for 12 months. The 3 years exclusions is "out of abundance of caution" in case you actually had malaria but didn't know it and might accidentally infect someone through blood transfusion.

I've treated hundreds of malaria patients when on humanitarian aid trips, and it would be rare to have malaria and not realize it - most people are quite miserable with the illness. And in the UK, if you have traveled to a malarious area, they ask you to wait 6 months before donating. Then they do a test for malaria infection, and if you are "clear" they accept your blood. In the US, I can't donate because I do an aid trip every 1 to 2 years; I don't wait 3 years or more between trips.

And for the original question: Any shots? Check the CDC website for the latest details, but for the most part, you do not need shots for Central America, though in some cases malaria prophylaxis will be advised. Hepatitis B vaccination is close to universally advised nowadays in the US whether you travel or not, and the vaccine is now given to babies starting at birth. Hepatitis A prevention varies according to you, your doctor and your destination.

It is always advisbale to carry a a list of your immunizations with you, such as your last tetnus shot. I recommend a one page medical history with your medical conditions, allergies to medications, medications you are on and immunizations. I'm an EMT and I think everybody should have this information available. It can be so hard in a crisis to find out what the "litttle yellow pills" are for, or when was your last tetnus shot...

But to answer your question and get off my soap box, I've been to PC twice and no shots needed, even last time with stops in Nicaragua and Guatemala. Last year before we went in December we were able to get the H1N1 flu shot and regular flu shot and I'd recommend those whether you are traveling or not.:)

Have a great safe cruise.

When we took our Panama/Costa Rica cruise, although it was not a requirement, our doctor strongly recommended updating our tetanus shots and getting the Twinrix vaccine for hepatitis. We took the advice.

Thank you, Doctork, for your post #9 in response to my question. Thanks also for your medical volunteer work abroad.

You're welcome! I have fun and I always receive much more than I give when volunteering overseas.

Personally, I've been immunized for Hep A & B, I keep my tetanus up to date, take the malaria pills when indicated, and I paper clip the little yellow international vaccination record to my passport. It has a medication list on it too.

Archived