Hot Sun: Sun Block/Suntan Lotion

I use kinesys sunscreen in an SPF 30. It's the spray kind and we usually buy it at Costco. We prefer this brand since it doesn't smell like most sunscreens (it's mango scented) and is non-greasy. I also take a lipbalm that has SPF in it. I am very fair skinned and didn't burn at all on my last cruise :)

I love Vichy Capital Soleil and La Roche Posay, both 60 SPF. They are a bit pricey but seem to work well for us in the hot Caribbean sun. They are also more of a cream consistency, therefore, do not need to be reapplied as often as the lotion kind. I just replenished my supply and noticed the expiration date is December 2012, so we're good to go for our next cruise. :):)

I use kinesys sunscreen in an SPF 30. It's the spray kind and we usually buy it at Costco. We prefer this brand since it doesn't smell like most sunscreens (it's mango scented) and is non-greasy. I also take a lipbalm that has SPF in it. I am very fair skinned and didn't burn at all on my last cruise :)

when apply sunscreen don't forget the top of your feet and for us balding guys the top of the head. :eek:

Very good advice on your feet, don't forget the bottom of your feet as well. Very painful to have a sunburn on the bottom of you feet from falling asleep face down in a lounge chair.

I always take along a bottle of Solarcaine lotion for sunburns. In my opinion, this is the best sunburn relief product on the market. Another thing I found out by doing some research is that if you're out lying by the beach and or pool every day, you should be going through at least two bottles of suncare product for the average 7 day cruise/vacation. If you are using less than that, then you are not applying the product correctly.

Thanks everyone, for the advice...bought my products today...still need to get something to sooth a burn if/when that happens....

Do you know what stores sell No-ad? I've seen it and bought it but can't remember where.

Down here, it's in every convenient store and drug store. I usually pick it up at either Walgreens or CVS.

Whatever you do keep reapplying and make sure you follow the directions on the bottle. Some lotions require application up to 30minutes before you go into the sun and some it is only 15 minutes. We took our first trip to the Caribbean in late March. My 15 yr old was on the pool deck for an hour with a 15 sunscreen and ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns, sun poisoning and I spent a ton of money in the infirmary. That was on our first day at sea so it was a very long cruise. Use great caution and be prepared for some harsh sun.

Another question from a newbie cruiser...we are cruising the eastern Caribbean starting Jun 6th. No one in our family (3 adults) spendsm much time outside here in the Chicago area...so, my questions are these:

What is the best sun block to use and what is the best suntan lotion for mom to use who wants to get a little tan? Don't want anything too smelly

or sticky. :(

Maui Babe is absolutely the BEST suntan lotion out there. You need to order it from their website but it smells so good and works even better.

mauibabe.com.

Have fun!

Traci

My DH got a sort of "aussie" looking hat from the villagehatshop dot com and just loves it. It has a solid piece on top to protect his head, vented in the area between the crown and brim and the brim is solid. It is cool and really protects his whole head. I'm going to be looking for a female version soon

I always take along a bottle of Solarcaine lotion for sunburns. In my opinion, this is the best sunburn relief product on the market. Another thing I found out by doing some research is that if you're out lying by the beach and or pool every day, you should be going through at least two bottles of suncare product for the average 7 day cruise/vacation. If you are using less than that, then you are not applying the product correctly.

I was looking at Solarcaine today...do you mean the Aloe Vera one or just a general Solarcaine cream or lotion w/o aloe? Thanks.

Archived