Is the music really that lacking?

ajagent

We have a group that is goin on the Feb 11, 2012 Summit Southern. We have been Carnival Cruisers since we started and a mutual decision was made that the service level we expected was not being met. So here we are planning our first cruise with Celebrity.

Now to my question, It seems that a lot of the posts indicate a lack of music on the outside decks. Is this true? I can't imagine cruising the Southern Caribbean with no Reggae or calypso music.

I can't wait to experience what you guys have already found in Celebrity.

It may vary a bit ship to ship but with 30+ X cruises under our belt, it's been our experience that weather permitting, the live band plays on deck two or three times during the afternoon on sea days and once at sailaway on port days. During the rest of the time there's either no music or recorded music playing in the background but nothing particularly Caribbean in nature.

Weather and the repertoire of the "party band" as it is called vary tremendously. Have heard reggae, oldies, Jimmy Buffett-style, just about everything. Not all bands have been equally good, not all have been 100% enjoyable, but if the weather is nice, as it will presumably be in the Caribbean in February, you should find live music at the pool area for an hour and a half or so around mid-day, sometimes again later in the afternoon.

We have a group that is goin on the Feb 11, 2012 Summit Southern. We have been Carnival Cruisers since we started and a mutual decision was made that the service level we expected was not being met. So here we are planning our first cruise with Celebrity.

Now to my question, It seems that a lot of the posts indicate a lack of music on the outside decks. Is this true? I can't imagine cruising the Southern Caribbean with no Reggae or calypso music.

The "pool band" or "party band" will play twice a day on pool deck, 45 minutes each time on a Caribbean/warm weather cruise. There is nothing the rest of the time unless some there is a special program (holiday, theme party, etc.) and this might happen once on a week-long cruise

There were days that the pool band only played once on the pool deck. Most of the time they played twice as previously stated. The band was pretty good, but I wanted them to play more often, or have another band out there. I love sitting on a lounger, in the shade, listening to a pool band with a drink in hand. Ahh... that's the life.

Perhaps live music poolside is limited to once or twice a day because the same band that plays poolside during the day also usually plays in a lounge in the evening and in the nightclub into the night, and there are just so many hours the band can be worked. I guess a dedicated pool band would resolve the issue but that would mean additional cost to the cruise line.

The posts you have read previously are acurate--there is a party band-- most are fair to poor to very bad --but not a reggae band-- they play/sing rock, calyspos & latin if they can... we had a steel drum player who is very good but not a reggae band he was mostly inside but played outdoors several times ...

not so much a lack of music but a lack of GOOD music....compared to Royal C

How about at sail away? Is there a band playing then? I have to give it to Royal-they do a great sail away party with the band playing, dancing and just a general party atmosphere. It's great fun.

I can't imagine cruising the Southern Caribbean with no Reggae or calypso music.

Start imaganing it because =X= doesn't really have much (if anyhting) in the way of steel band, reggae or calypso music.

As I wrote in a previous post in another thread we bring our own. I have several CD's of steel band music in my iPod. I connect the iPod to the TV in our cabin via the DVD player and we then have Caribbean music however long we want it. Great way to get a party started.

Enjoy that next sunshine cruise.

:):):)

Archived