Airport TSA & kid's juice boxes, applesauce, etc.

romanroxy

Per the TSA website, it does state that food and juice must be declared when traveling with small children and are allowed in reasonable quantities.

Just wanted to hear about the experiences from other Travelers with small children. What snacks/juice have you brought with you on board a plane?

I have a 4 yr old. (What does TSA consider the cut-off age for "small children"?)

Our upcoming Med. Cruise entails a 9 hr flight transatlantic from the states.

How many juice boxes can I bring? Apple sauce? Bottled water? (or maybe they expect you to buy this in the gift shop after TSA checkpoint, I'm sure).

Have you ever packed add'l for the return flight?

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Per the TSA website, it does state that food and juice must be declared when traveling with small children and are allowed in reasonable quantities.

Just wanted to hear about the experiences from other Travelers with small children. What snacks/juice have you brought with you on board a plane?

I have a 4 yr old. (What does TSA consider the cut-off age for "small children"?)

Our upcoming Med. Cruise entails a 9 hr flight transatlantic from the states.

How many juice boxes can I bring? Apple sauce? Bottled water? (or maybe they expect you to buy this in the gift shop after TSA checkpoint, I'm sure).

Have you ever packed add'l for the return flight?

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Well, my situation was slightly different than yours, since we only had a 2.5 hour flight from MI to FL and my DS is only 12 months old, but yesterday we went through the family security line with (3) 4 oz bottles of water (actual baby bottles), 6 tubs of baby food and assorted snacks (Cheerios, Gerber Puffs).

I wasn't sure if they would have a problem with the water, since it hadn't been mixed with formula yet, but no issues on either flight.

I bring empy water bottles that I fill once we have passed security. Personally, bringing juice along isn't important enough for me to add complications at security - especially internationally.

There is extra security flying internationally back into the states - I doubt any liquids would be allowed past security - possibly if they can be opened and tested. I'd think it would be easier to bring a sippy or straw cup and buy juice once you pass security. On our return from Barcelona, they suddenly declared that only one bag per person (including purses, etc.) could be brought on board, so we had to check half our carry on bags AND they did a full pat down on every passenger and examined every item in our carry-ons - so you want to be prepared for anything.

I always bring full meals + lots of snacks on board (trail mix, cereal bars, chips - nothing that's going to create a hassle at security like apple sauce or yogurt), since delays on the tarmac can be long and you never know how long food service will take to begin. I do pack snacks for the return flight, but then also will buy some kind of meal at the airport to bring on board for the kids.

Best,

Mia

On our return from Barcelona' date=' they suddenly declared that only one bag per person ([u']including[/u] purses, etc.) could be brought on board, so we had to check half our carry on bags AND they did a full pat down on every passenger and examined every item in our carry-ons - so you want to be prepared for anything.

I always bring full meals + lots of snacks on board (trail mix, cereal bars, chips - nothing that's going to create a hassle at security like apple sauce or yogurt)

Best,

Mia

Good info about Barcelona. Thanks!

I wouldn't want to deal with bringing a sippy cup and washing it or carrying it around.

Sometimes water makes it through and sometimes it doesn't. The last few trips, they had to test the AJ which takes time so now I'm done with bringing liquids through security. I'm going to bring an empty sippy cup and buy some juice once we pass through security. It is worth the couple of bucks extra not to be detained at security.

1. Don't expect your 4 year old to be considered a small child who is allowed special exemptions. Always be prepared for the toughest security restrictions.

2. Buy your fluids once you are through security. Most airports have vending machines by the bathrooms which have cheaper bottles of water. Or take your own bottle and fill up at the drinking fountain after security.

3. Order a kids meal for your flight. Most airlines do offer special meals on airlines if you notify them in advance.

4. Take enough non-liquid/gel snacks to get through the flight. Never depend on the snacks they have on the airplane.

5. We usually buy special snacks at the airport for our return at the other airport. It makes it more of an adventure for DD to pick out "new" items. Usually she is sick and tired of the snacks we've packed by the end of the trip. (Oh which she did pick some strange potato chips and m&ms in Rome for our last long flight home.)

6. Be prepared for wicked security checks when you hit the US. We had to dump all of our water bottles and repack our quart sized bags before we were rescreened in ATL for our connecting flight home. I wasn't expecting to have to go through security again after we went through customs.

Bump. ;)

Never had a problem going through security and either FLL, LGA, JFK or YVR with milk, juice boxes, water for formula. I make sure I have enough powder just in case we get stuck on the tarmac. I usually just put everything in the bin beside my diaper bag and send it through the x-ray machine. Only once did they ask to test the milk.

My kids were 9 mos and 2.5 so they may have been less restricting than if I have a 4 yr old.

Milk and formula should not be a problem, but I would prepare to purchase water and juice just in case.

We just flew from DTW to LAX in April. My DS is 3 and DD is 5 1/2. I packed two capri sun juices each (so 4 total) and put them in a gallon zip lock bag. I also packed 4 fruit snacks (2 each) and 4 granola bars (2 each). We were told that as long as we pulled the zip lock bag OUT of our carry-ons to put on the conveyor belt, it would not be an issue. And sure enough, we went right through with no problem. On the way home from LAX to DTW, we forgot to pull the bag out. They asked my husband to "claim" it so they did an extra security check for him and pulled him aside and went through our carry-on a little more in depth, but that was our own fault for not pulling the bag out.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would you have to buy water and juice once you get through security?? You can get it on the plane free.

That is WAY to much a risk to take with a child (or as an adult as far as I'm soncerned). More than half of the flights we've taken in the last few years have had very long delays on the tarmac, during which time there is no service and the cabin crew is buckled in, so it can be quite a long time before getting into the air, to cruising altitude and for the crew to get around to you. I have always been very glad we had our own supplies and we have often ended up sharing with less prepared parents whose children were fussing for something to drink or snack on.

On another note - the OP mentioned not wanting to deal with carrying a suppy cup. Sippy cups/reusable water bottles also come in really handy in port and at dinner (unless your child is fine drinking out of large glasses). My girls drink water, so washing it isn't as much a concern, but I wouldn't travel without a supply of take n' toss cups - which I find are much easier to deal with than going through international security with liquids.

Best,

mia

Any liquids you bring in a sippy or bottle, they just do a vapor test on. It takes like 60-90 seconds. My DD drinks whole milk, and some airports have it, some don't, so I bring it instead of risk it and it hasn't been a problem. Also, I pack snacks and juice boxes for my son, who is 6 and big enough to be 8 or 9 and I haven't had one person say to me "Sorry, he's too old". Maybe there are some who are having a bad day, I don't know, but just in the past year alone, he's flown from IAD at least once a month and there haven't been any issues. Half the time, I forget to even declare the juice box and it goes right through. And they've never said anything about snacks for anyone of any age.

I will say though, that I expect more scrutiny when I travel from home (Dulles, Reagan or BWI) or if I'm going to like NYC or even LAX, just because those cities, from my thinking, are more of a risk than, say, Tulsa. But I've found the smaller city airports in the middle of the country to be much more, umm, whats the word...picky and "eager" to prove points than airports in cities with a high threat risk. Anytime I fly from here, which has literally been 100s of times, they're much more helpful and friendly. The only time I've gotten a pat down has been when I was in Peoria, Ill...

Just returned from Europe yesterday.

Had to transfer onto 3 different flights each way. Total time on a plane each way was approx. 13-14 hours. Even with a 2-hour layover in between the transatlantic flights...this was NOT enough time to even grab a bottle of water or snack esp on the return flight.

Landing into Madrid, we had to go through security again and the bottles of water and juice were tossed out by security from our carry-on bags even though we got those on board the previous AA plane....Madrid is the most confusing airport I have ever been to...it is quite massive and looks more like a shopping mall....but still quite confusing (language barrier, navigating around the terminals, size, procedures for transatlantic, etc). The airport in Barcelona is easier to figure out.

BTW, no need to remove your shoes in either security line in Madrid or Barcelona like in the USA...plus, somehow, one of the 1/2 bottles of water was still in my carry-on and went undetected passed security.

There were plenty of snacks and water/beverages available on the transatlantic flights each way...but, the 2 hr flight from Madrid to Barcelona on Iberia, there is a charge for either.

The return flight from Dallas quickly off from the 11 hr transatlantic flight did offer a beverage, but after the plane was at a safe level to start beverage service. My 4yr old was still asking for water. There was just NO time to wait in line to buy one for the plane...which I like to have handy.

Anyhow, hope this info comes in handy for another parent traveling with a small child overseas esp. :)

Just returned from Europe yesterday.

Had to transfer onto 3 different flights each way. Total time on a plane each way was approx. 13-14 hours. Even with a 2-hour layover in between the transatlantic flights...this was NOT enough time to even grab a bottle of water or snack esp on the return flight.

Landing into Madrid, we had to go through security again and the bottles of water and juice were tossed out by security from our carry-on bags even though we got those on board the previous AA plane....Madrid is the most confusing airport I have ever been to...it is quite massive and looks more like a shopping mall....but still quite confusing (language barrier, navigating around the terminals, size, procedures for transatlantic, etc). The airport in Barcelona is easier to figure out.

BTW, no need to remove your shoes in either security line in Madrid or Barcelona like in the USA...plus, somehow, one of the 1/2 bottles of water was still in my carry-on and went undetected passed security.

Security in MAD is tight. After you go through the main security, we had to go through security again at the gate, and they emptied every carryon and went through it all. Then, they leave you to pack it back up. There is not much at some of the gates to purchase; no food available. When traveling with children, I never assume I'm going to be able to get anything!

Most airports in Europe do not require you to remove your shoes. You can always bring an empty water bottle and fill it up in the bathroom as a last resort.

The return flight from Dallas quickly off from the 11 hr transatlantic flight did offer a beverage, but after the plane was at a safe level to start beverage service. My 4yr old was still asking for water. There was just NO time to wait in line to buy one for the plane...which I like to have handy.

Thanks so much for your detailed description. This is why I bring my own reusable water bottles or sippy cups - quick enough to fill at a drinking fountain in the airport if under the gun to get to the next gate. I learned the hard way that I don't want to be in a situation where my kids are really in need of a drink and I don't have anything for them.

Best,

Mia

Security in MAD is tight. After you go through the main security, we had to go through security again at the gate, and they emptied every carryon and went through it all. Then, they leave you to pack it back up. There is not much at some of the gates to purchase; no food available. When traveling with children, I never assume I'm going to be able to get anything!

Most airports in Europe do not require you to remove your shoes. You can always bring an empty water bottle and fill it up in the bathroom as a last resort.

MADRID airport is CRAZY!!!!:eek:

Thanks for info about the shoe thing in Europe. Didn't know that.

Thanks so much for your detailed description. This is why I bring my own reusable water bottles or sippy cups - quick enough to fill at a drinking fountain in the airport if under the gun to get to the next gate. I learned the hard way that I don't want to be in a situation where my kids are really in need of a drink and I don't have anything for them.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

Oh darn! I had an empty water bottle in my carry on... I didn't even think about filling it up at the water fountain. DOH! Not sure if I even saw one as we scampered thru the terminal.... I'll have to remember that. ;)

Archived