New to crusing-deals?

palavra

We are new to crusing and would really like to give it a try! There are so many supposedly discount cruise places on the internet, but we don't want to make a mistake and book through a place that might have lots of hideen fees or a not so great reputation. So, my question is, is it safest to book through the cruise line directly? Are there any legitimate discount cruise companies that offer good value for your money?

We are new to crusing and would really like to give it a try! There are so many supposedly discount cruise places on the internet, but we don't want to make a mistake and book through a place that might have lots of hideen fees or a not so great reputation. So, my question is, is it safest to book through the cruise line directly? Are there any legitimate discount cruise companies that offer good value for your money?

It's safe to book through the cruiseline.

It's against Cruise Critic rules to name or promote any travel agency so we can't help you find a discount agency. Your best bet is to shop around, and ask the companies about their fees. Fees could include (but probably shouldn't): booking, changes, cancellation.

Always check the price with the cruiseline before you start with the "discount" places....to make sure you're getting "a deal"!

We always book directly with the cruiseline, so we remain in control of our booking....once you book thru a 3rd party, they own the booking until you board, and the cruiseline will NOT talk to you, if you want to make a change, or request....

If you do use a travel agent, use a local agency, where you can go and sit down in front of someone, get brochures and KNOW who is taking your money, and what you're getting for it!!!!

Some cruiselines are stopping discounting, and try to stop TAs from discounting as well. HAL has been starting this of late. But a TA can give you a discount by giving you an onboard credit, etc. They won't all do that, and in many cases, you might be paying the exact same rate as the cruiseline quoted. However, some people (DW and I for instance), prefer to use a TA we know, and who is very experienced in cruises. As has been suggested, find one that is reputable, and having one you can meet and talk with has value. Discounters are often just unknown people on the internet trying to make money on volume. Check out about whoever you are dealing with.

We booked through the cruise line directly. I think that's your best option if you want to make sure your fare covers everything. The best thing you can do is keep an eye on the prices for your cruise because if your price goes down, you can call them and get a price adjustment. My husband and I saved $500 the week before our cruise by doing this. You have to push it but I believe it is Royal Carib's policy.

I don't use TA's. I do all of my research on the web and book everything directly with the airline/cruise line...

RCL doesnt allow any discounting, but you might find a TA with perks, beware of fees.

Carnival doesnt allow advertising of discounted rates, so no rates you see will be lower than the cruiseline and booking direct, but some TAs will cut their commission.

If you are booking a very cheap cabin, I would book direct. If you book expensive cabins, then it makes more sense to deal with a TA and not having control over your booking.

If you search around a little you can find agents who will provide an OBC between 8% to 10% for the fare. I booked this way and confirmed the booking with Celebrity. My agent was very helpful and professional. I guess I will not be able to say for sure until I am home for my cruise.

Archived