Caribou Crossing - Dog cart rides and other activities

VAtravelers100

I'll be traveling with family via HAL, and we'll be in Skagway July 6. We're renting a car, and will be getting Murray's guide to follow the route to Emerald Lake.

Three of us are interested in doing the dog cart ride and hearing the talk about huskies and racing at Caribou Crossing, http://yukonhuskies.com/kennel_tours.html. We're working on getting reservations made, and we're requesting 1:30 (is that a good time?).

My main question is, what will the other two people in our group do? Can they see the puppies for free? Is there any way they can hear the talk part about dog racing? They just aren't interested in riding in the cart.

I'll appreciate any thoughts you may have. I don't want those two people to be bored while the rest of us do the activity. Thanks!

First of all Emerald Lake is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, you will love it.

Caribou Crossing has a BBQ Buffet that's pretty good, a Alaska Wildlife Museum with lots of stuffed animals, pretty amazing, the huskies kennel and the Dog Sled ride. There is no charge to go into the museum or into the kennel where you can pet and play with the dogs especially the puppies, their so cute but stinky. They do charge for the dog sled ride but keep in mind you are riding on a dirt & gravel road which is not extremely comfortable. If you really want to go on a Dog Sled ride then take a helicopter up to a glacier and ride on the snow. There are several employees in the dog kennel area that will answer any questions you have for free. Hope this helps and have a great time.

a Alaska Wildlife Museum with lots of stuffed animals, pretty amazing, the huskies kennel and the Dog Sled ride. There is no charge to go into the museum or into the kennel where you can pet and play with the dogs especially the puppies, their so cute but stinky.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply! Now it looks like four of us will do the dog cart ride, which includes the museum and a talk about racing. So, I just need to make sure my mother in law won't be bored while we're off doing that. It sounds like she can go in the museum and pet the puppies for free? That would be great! I think there is a cafe there where she could wait comfortably if she wants? Let me know if you have other ideas. Thanks!

"There is no charge to go into the museum".

I was just there for the first time on 5/11 and there was a charge to see the stuffed animals of the museum. We played with the puppies and also did gold panning for $11, but the kids thought it was worth it. There seems to be some sort of miniature golf also. No food was available, but that's because it was just too early in the season.

We LOVE Caribou Crossing.

There is an overall admission fee, which covers the museum and the dog camp. They are both very interesting in themselves. The dog cart ride is an extra charge, and includes Michelle's very interesting talk about the race. The talk is just in the open at the camp, and I am sure there would be no trouble of an extra person listening to the talk before your group gets on the carts. The ride is short, about 15 minutes, so MIL could just sit in the restaurant and have a coke, or browse the gift shop, or visit the museum a bit.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

What's the difference between the 15 minute and the 30 minute offerigns. Per the web site, the 15 minute includes a 15 minute ride (loading included) the 30 minute includes 10 minute talk and 20 minute ride (no mention of loading).

Does the talk and extra 5 minute justify to the higher price?

Is the dog day kennel at Carcross the same " mushers camp" that is offered via cruise ship excursion? (or is there another Skagway Mushers camp?)

IF it says Skagway, yes it is a different area and cart ride.

I thought that I read something about time difference when you drive up to Yukon and back to port. IS this correct. One hour difference?

Yes, it is an hour difference once you cross the border.

Yes, it is an hour difference once you cross the border.

I'm glad you guys mentioned that - I didn't know! So, I made a 1:30 reservation for the dog cart talk and ride. I think that is the time when the tours tend to leave the area. Is that right? Is that a good time if the overall plan is to drive to Emerald Lake and have lunch before? Any suggestions on what time we should leave Skagway for this timeline?

Is the time at Caribou Crossing earlier or later than in Skagway?

I appreciate the help!

I'm glad you guys mentioned that - I didn't know! So, I made a 1:30 reservation for the dog cart talk and ride. I think that is the time when the tours tend to leave the area. Is that right? Is that a good time if the overall plan is to drive to Emerald Lake and have lunch before? Any suggestions on what time we should leave Skagway for this timeline?

I appreciate the help!

Without the tour, it is advised to allow 4-5 hours for the round trip drive. It will be 12:30p Alaska time. If you are on the road by 9am- won't have any problem getting this time.

I was unable to coordinate a sled ride on the ice, so took this ride & was very glad that I did. It's not that long of a ride & I think anyone would be able to relax or enjoy other sites while you are on the ride. Hope you enjoy it.

I am looking into taking a Princess excursion that stops at Caribou Crossing for lunch and what not. Can anyone tell me approximately how much extra would the sled dog ride costs? And do I even have time to eat lunch and sled?

I appreciate the help!

I think that is the time we made our reservation for and it worked extremely well. AIRC Caribou Crossing made the reservation in SKAGWAY time for us. Double check with them about which time zone.

If you are at Avis at 8 and the line is not long, you should be in the car and off by 8:30, then you can drive out to the Gold Rush graveyard, find Soapy Smith's grave, and perhaps hike the short way to the waterfall. Drive back past the train yards, and take the Dyea turnoff as far as the viewpoint. This should take an hour or so, and you will be off over the pass by 9:30. This gives you a good three hours plus for the drive to Emerald Lake, which allows for lots of stops. Turn back from Emerald Lake and have lunch at Spirit Lake Inn and that should take you to Caribou Crossing just in time for your ride.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I am looking into taking a Princess excursion that stops at Caribou Crossing for lunch and what not. Can anyone tell me approximately how much extra would the sled dog ride costs? And do I even have time to eat lunch and sled?

I am pretty sure that when we were there Michelle mentioned having done cart rides for the bus pax earlier. I would think you can probably book it on the spot, but you could also check into making a reservation. I am sure they can tell you how long your bus will be there and what time to do it.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I think that is the time we made our reservation for and it worked extremely well. AIRC Caribou Crossing made the reservation in SKAGWAY time for us. Double check with them about which time zone.

If you are at Avis at 8 and the line is not long, you should be in the car and off by 8:30, then you can drive out to the Gold Rush graveyard, find Soapy Smith's grave, and perhaps hike the short way to the waterfall. Drive back past the train yards, and take the Dyea turnoff as far as the viewpoint. This should take an hour or so, and you will be off over the pass by 9:30. This gives you a good three hours plus for the drive to Emerald Lake, which allows for lots of stops. Turn back from Emerald Lake and have lunch at Spirit Lake Inn and that should take you to Caribou Crossing just in time for your ride.

Thank you so much for the detailed information - it's very helpful! I will ask Caribou Crossing which time zone our 1:30 reservation is in. I want to make sure I know what I want first, though.

If the 1:30 reservation is at 12:30 Skagway time, does anyone know whether that is good timing in terms of the schedule of the bus tours? I want to make sure to avoid being at Caribou Crossing during the mad rush of lunch etc from the tours. (Or if you think that I shouldn't worry about the timing, let me know that too!)

Thanks for your help!

$30PP if you book it there - They usually give you some time, we had about 1 1/2 hrs. a last week to eat and do the museum, gift shop etc. Depending, you may have to give up the museum or gift shop to do the sled dogs.

Thank you so much for the detailed information - it's very helpful! I will ask Caribou Crossing which time zone our 1:30 reservation is in. I want to make sure I know what I want first, though.

If the 1:30 reservation is at 12:30 Skagway time, does anyone know whether that is good timing in terms of the schedule of the bus tours? I want to make sure to avoid being at Caribou Crossing during the mad rush of lunch etc from the tours. (Or if you think that I shouldn't worry about the timing, let me know that too!)

Thanks for your help!

I exchanged a note with her as we were considering doing the 15 minute ride without reservations and Marilyn said that after 12:30 YUKON time put you after the bus crowd.

Thanks for all the information! I received our confirmation about the reservation, and we are booked for 1:30 PM. We booked by emailing Caribou Crossing, http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/contact.html. She attached a price sheet to our confirmation, and the price sheet says that the times are Skagway time zone. (So, our 1:30 reservation is actually 2:30 Yukon time.)

So, I think that is good. I am somewhat worried that we'll have too much time before the ride starts, but I think that's better than feeling rushed!

Prices quoted, just FYI were:

Museum - $7.50 Adult, $5.50 Child

Dogsled Ride, 15 min (includes Museum) - $37.50 Adult, $32.50 Child

Dogsled Ride and Talk, 30 min (includes Museum) - $62.50, $55.50 Child

They only were taking reservations for the Dogsled Ride and Talk combo (walk up for the others). Then they request a $20 per person deposit. Reservations would be in Skagway time.

I was on a Princess tour. Had plenty of time to eat, see the museum, shop, see the puppies, and take the ride. I actually decided kinda at the last minute to do the ride and told our driver, who was playing with the puppies. I made it to the bus in plenty of time, but he looked for me to confirm that I was back when he got on the bus.

The dogs felt very powerful and were all anxious for their turn on the carts. We stopped for a few monents about 1/2 way thru the ride & dogs kept want to go again. We were talking about how excited they were to run & I forget to get a picture and video of them barking & jumping to go again. So be ready!

Archived