What about Cabin's in the Bow of the Ship

Cras108er

Anyone ever stay in a cabin at the bow of the ship. What was your experience? We got a decent rate on an outside cabin, but it is at the very front of the ship (which may account for the rate). It is an Alaska Inside Passage cruise. How likely are we to experience the motion of the ship or have it be colder since there is not much "insulation" below you?" Any insight would be great;ly appreciated. Thanks.

We had a balcony room right at the front of the ship. I think there was only one other room in front of ours. You do feel the movement a little more, but it wasn't bad at all. We had pretty smooth seas. On the other hand, we had a room in the front of the ship on a 16 day cruise through the Panama Canal and we had some really rough seas that we could feel pretty strongly. My husband had to buy me those wristbands on that ship. I don't think "insulation" will be an issue at all.

Which ship, deck and cabin #? That would help to give an accurate answer. :)

Wow! I didn't realize people actually remembers specific cabins on ships. I was on one cruise previously and couldn't tell you which cabin I was in. I gotta get with the program. :)

We'll be on the Statendam (HAL) Cabin H702. It is on Deck A (the lowest deck). Thanks.

The further forward or aft you are the more motion you will feel. However on an Inside Passage itinerary from Vancouver .... well it is about as smooth a sail you are going to experience...out of Seattle not so. If you do have a problem with motion sickness then you may want to consider another cabin location (low and midships) or bring along some of the standard meds.

Wow! I didn't realize people actually remember specific cabins on ships.

I was on one cruise previously and couldn't tell you which cabin I was in.

I gotta get with the program. :)

This purely from memory:

Cruise 1. Carnival Destiny. Cabin 2283 on Main Deck.

Cruise 2. Ocean Village Two. Cabin 8105, Deck 8

Cruise 3. Ocean Village Two. Cabin 6060, Deck 6 under the Promenade(not good)

Cruise 4. Carnival Victory. Cabin 6431.

Cruise 5. Carnival Victory. Cabin 6107, right up front!

Cruise 6. Caribbean Princess. Cabin P 241 on Plaza Deck.

This is why you keep your cruise cards: to remind you of these good times! ;)

Here are some of ours, attached below.

ShipCards.jpg.5dc2d4ba1781bd1737156810ba68cf76.jpg

ShipGold.jpg.7acf7dad569ddff417997be1da697c2c.jpg

Ship-Cards-652.jpg.597d2f77abfc8a364e878754d0f17545.jpg

Is a cabin that far forward going to experience anchor chain noise? I hate waking up to that on the first morning.

On Norwegian Sea to Bermuda in 2003 I was in an inside cabin all the way forward on a lower deck. After entering St. George harbor a little after 6:00 AM she dropped anchor to facilitate turning before being moved against the pier. The noise was enough to wake the Sphinx, and everything in the cabin shook and vibrated for about 30 seconds until the chain stopped paying out.

Back to the point -- I do not think any cabin on any major ship is less than 100 feet from the bow.

Is a cabin that far forward going to experience anchor chain noise?

I hate waking up to that on the first morning.

You gonna wake up to Bow-thruster whine instead! :)

First a whine as the motors are turned on

then the real churning when the clutch is engaged to actually spin those big sideways-props.

We were on Victory Deck 6, midway up the ship, and heard it: not a problem where we were

but if you're on Deck 1 or 2 you should hear it quite well. ;)

At least you'll know you're docking

and it's time to get up and go up on Top Deck to see your new Country Du Jour! Yaaay!

St_Kitts_Sunrise.jpg

What's that? You didn't get to bed until 3?

That's no way to cruise!

When I read the the intial post the first thought I had was the anchor dropping. The other folks answering have it down. It won't be an issue unless you are tendering into port. My wife and I were on the Something-or-other Of The Seas out of San Pedro on a 4-day Mexico cruise. May have been at Catalina Island. A sudden and loud noise (we were far forward and not far above the main deck). Not my favorite alarm clock-if there really is such a thing. Had an adrenaline rush for a while afterwards but once it is expected then it doesnt hurt as much. I was fine the next time. Wherever that was..

Archived