How do you keep the luggage weight down?

Travel Smith has some great reversible dresses and skirts, they are light weight-hardly any wrinkling.

Also about weight your luggage can be the culprit empty, some weigh as much as 18lbs empty add all your normal packing stuff and sometimes you can go over the limit. I worked in a luggage store and did packing seminars(you will be surprised how many people don't pack efficiently.

Rule#1 you are packing for a vacation not the apocalypse.

The compression bags are a good idea. Haven't tried them myself

I use Eagle Creek pack-it cube and fold it systems-keeps me sort of organized.

Save room in suitcase -roll everything gives you more space. It took my husband years to believe me.

Okay back to weight of items-jeans weight 1-2lbs each, shoes weight 1-2lbs each especially mens shoes(can't be helped unless taking less shoes), blow dyers,curling irons, straighter, 1lb each. The list is endless. When packing take that into consideration.

If you can't lift your own suitcase empty(this goes for carry ons as well) What makes you think anyone else can. I prefer rolling duffles over boxed luggage. They make these wheeled duffles large enough to pack everything. Lighter in weight trust me. If your luggage is too heavy you can pull a muscle hurt,your shoulder or back. That's why airlines do have weight restrictions, to protect their workers from injury of lifting it.

My stuff comes out fine-rolling is way better than folding in a rolling duffle bag.

Also buy a luggage scale from target or wal mart to weigh your bag, then again the calibration of their scale can differ slightly when getting to the airport gate. Make sure its 2 lbs lighter than the scale just in case.

Alrana

Travel Smith has some great reversible dresses and skirts, they are light weight-hardly any wrinkling.

Also about weight your luggage can be the culprit empty, some weigh as much as 18lbs empty add all your normal packing stuff and sometimes you can go over the limit. I worked in a luggage store and did packing seminars(you will be surprised how many people don't pack efficiently.

Rule#1 you are packing for a vacation not the apocalypse.

The compression bags are a good idea. Haven't tried them myself

I use Eagle Creek pack-it cube and fold it systems-keeps me sort of organized.

Save room in suitcase -roll everything gives you more space. It took my husband years to believe me.

Okay back to weight of items-jeans weight 1-2lbs each, shoes weight 1-2lbs each especially mens shoes(can't be helped unless taking less shoes), blow dyers,curling irons, straighter, 1lb each. The list is endless. When packing take that into consideration.

If you can't lift your own suitcase empty(this goes for carry ons as well) What makes you think anyone else can. I prefer rolling duffles over boxed luggage. They make these wheeled duffles large enough to pack everything. Lighter in weight trust me. If your luggage is too heavy you can pull a muscle hurt,your shoulder or back. That's why airlines do have weight restrictions, to protect their workers from injury of lifting it.

My stuff comes out fine-rolling is way better than folding in a rolling duffle bag.

Also buy a luggage scale from target or wal mart to weigh your bag, then again the calibration of their scale can differ slightly when getting to the airport gate. Make sure its 2 lbs lighter than the scale just in case.

Alrana

Thanks for the great tips!

DH uses his suit bag as his carry on luggage - gets his tux, chinos, shirts etc in. I use the biggest carry on allowed and put my handbag (purse) into my suitcase.

Always take a small bag scale to check weights for coming home; also (nothing to do with the weight) we always divide our clothes for both of us into the 2 suitcases, that way if 1 goes missing in action we still each have clothes!

I just dug the luggage out of storage and am getting ready to pack for a 7 day cruise and a pre-cruise night in Barcelona. Excellent suggestions here about how/what to pack.

My basic guidelines are to keep to basic colors: white, cream, black, khaki and red. We do the 2 formal nights but my gown and cocktail dress don't take up much space :) DH will pack a suit in his own suitcase.

I never pack/wear jeans to Europe...too heavy, and way too hot for a spring/summer cruise. I do like a variety of sandals and do take sneakers for working out in the gym on the ship. Otherwise, I've scaled way back (pun intended) since the luggage weight/size restrictions have been put in place.

1. We try to take cruises on ships with self-serve laundry.

2. We try to take cruises that sail back into our home port (FLL or MIA).

3. We carefully work out our outfits to "multi-purpose" as much as possible.

4. No more tuxes or gowns. DH will take one black suit. The suit pants can each be worn as separates.

5. I roll pack a very tightly packed roll-aboard bag for each of us and an equally tightly-packed shoulder bag. We try to not go beyond that. Some cruises, Alaska in early May for example, required larger checked bags thanks to bulky cold weather clothes and boots.

6. We only take toiletries that are in small TSA-approved sizes: 3 oz bottles, sample-size packets, etc.

7. We wear our heaviest clothes (jeans, sneakers or boots, hoodies) onto the plane in several layers and then just fold them up and put them in the overhead.

8. We pick a color scheme for our clothes: one light neutral, one dark neutral and then several shades in one color family (ex. purple, fuchsia, lavender) to mix and match with them.

9. We do that "toss out older underwear" as we go thing.

10. We pack fewer t-shirts than we need, and buy the others during the cruise.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

I never overpack and always have enough daywear AND formalwear

without ever exceeding the weight limits for the airlines.

I just returned from a cruise yesterday. Sailed out of NJ, went to

Boston, Newport and Bermuda. My checked bag only weighed 43lbs.:)

Edited by Lois R

Here are a few things I do:

- use the ships hairdryer.

- I make a list of what I plan to wear everyday and look to see what items can be worn twice. Ex: in Aruba we did a jeep tour. From reviews I knew we would be quite dirty after this excursion so on that day I wore a shirt that had already been worn previously instead of dirtying a brand new top. I also knew that we planned on dining at the specialty restaurants so I wore the same sundress to Portofino one night and then two days later in the dining room.

- For dining, I take a pair of black dress pants that can easily be worn with several tops.

- For formal nights, my DH takes one suit with two different shirts. He will also wear these shirts at the specialty restaurants. I wear a cocktail dress instead of a full length gown.

- Take a luggage scale. That way you can check the weight of your luggage before getting to the airport.

When I compare my first cruise to my most recent one, the biggest change I made to cut down on the luggage weight was with clothes. On my first cruise I packed 7 outfits for the evening and 7 outfits for the daytime. On my most recent cruise I packed about half of that.

Here are a few things I do:

- use the ships hairdryer.

- I make a list of what I plan to wear everyday and look to see what items can be worn twice. Ex: in Aruba we did a jeep tour. From reviews I knew we would be quite dirty after this excursion so on that day I wore a shirt that had already been worn previously instead of dirtying a brand new top. I also knew that we planned on dining at the specialty restaurants so I wore the same sundress to Portofino one night and then two days later in the dining room.

- For dining, I take a pair of black dress pants that can easily be worn with several tops.

- For formal nights, my DH takes one suit with two different shirts. He will also wear these shirts at the specialty restaurants. I wear a cocktail dress instead of a full length gown.

- Take a luggage scale. That way you can check the weight of your luggage before getting to the airport.

When I compare my first cruise to my most recent one, the biggest change I made to cut down on the luggage weight was with clothes. On my first cruise I packed 7 outfits for the evening and 7 outfits for the daytime.

On my most recent cruise I packed about half of that.

Great tips! I especially like the one about wearing a shirt previously worn when you know you will be active and get dirty on an excursion.

I am debating about bringing my own hair dryer or using the ships. Mine is powerful, and since I have long, thick, curly hair, I am not sure the ship's dryer will cut it, unless I want to be drying my hair for an hour before dinner... On the other hand, my dryer weighs over a pound, and takes up quite a bit of room.... I guess I will have to wait and pack, and see how much weight I need to cut, or put it in my carry-on.

Just watch the weight on your way home if you have souvenirs etc in them. I pack mine on the last day and take it to the spa and use the scales there to make sure it isn't overweight.

By using the gym you won't need that luggage scale. All the ones I've seen weigh at least half a pound. Dont use up any of your 50 lb. allowance with a scale.

Edited by Boozebabe

I just finished packing for a 7 day Mediterranean cruise with an additional pre-cruise night in Barcelona. My checked luggage weighs in at 35 lbs. (well below Luftansa's 50 lb.limit, thus leaving room for some shopping!)

My carry on has a change of clothes, jewelry, bathing suit, PJ's and TSA approved containers. It too is well under the weight limit.

I Googled packing tips and watched a few videos. Ended up using Zip Loc bags and some rolling vs. folding. We travel frequently and honestly, I have never had a problem with my clothing being wrinkled, but I do tend to overpack. My main objective this time: bring only what you'll wear and no more.

Try the Google search and watch the videos. Some are hilarious!

I've often wondered how throwing out underwear will save space. I don't take enough for the whole week (or more), I just hand wash undies and bras in the sink, no big deal I do it at home at times as well. So, say I've got 7 pair of underwear packed...if I throw them all out for the trip home I'll have room for one souvenir T-shirt (purely hypothetical as I don't wear souvenir T-shirts). Or, the weight saved will total less than a half a pound. Not worth any of it to wear old underwear.

Now, my 6'4" sons boxers, that may make a bit more of a difference, but paying $1-$1.50 to have each pair laundered is a far cheaper method than buying new boxers for him. Or my husbands tighty whities, same thing.

I guess we just don't hang onto old underwear long enough to wait for the vacation to roll around.

Luggage scales are fine, but don't pack them into your suitcase. They really aren't all that accurate (I weigh luggage for customers all the time, the results can be different...close, but not accurate enough). They will add weight to your bag on the return that you could use for a new coffee mug or Christmas ornament. Just make sure your luggage is a lot less than the 50 lb. mark before going if you plan to shop. My fully packed 24" case weighs in at around 38-42 lbs.

A note on the ships hairdryers. I've never had one that works as well as my home dryer, but I'm not lugging my full sized dryer along. I have a small travel dryer that I use as a backup. My hair takes about 10-15 minutes to dry and the ships dryers usually cut out @ around 10 minutes into the drying time. They won't start up again until fully cooled, that can take 15 minutes or so. If your hair is like mine, stopping mid way through the drying process is a disaster. I just take out the handy dandy little dryer and finish the job. For those with short hair that dries quickly, or those who merely blow the hair dry to get it dry and not styled (you use another appliance after drying) it may not be that big of a deal. My travel dryer weighs just a few ounces and fits into the palm of my hand.

Thanks for the tip on the luggage scale not being accurage. I'll hold my luggage and step on my digital scale, once I deduct my weight (100 lbs...not!) I expect to see my luggage weighing in at or around 35 lbs.

Like you, I have never understood the "wear old underwear". Ick! I always buy new and nice. It certainly doesn't weigh much;)

I've often wondered how throwing out underwear will save space. I don't take enough for the whole week (or more), I just hand wash undies and bras in the sink, no big deal I do it at home at times as well. So, say I've got 7 pair of underwear packed...if I throw them all out for the trip home I'll have room for one souvenir T-shirt (purely hypothetical as I don't wear souvenir T-shirts). Or, the weight saved will total less than a half a pound. Not worth any of it to wear old underwear.

Now, my 6'4" sons boxers, that may make a bit more of a difference, but paying $1-$1.50 to have each pair laundered is a far cheaper method than buying new boxers for him. Or my husbands tighty whities, same thing.

I guess we just don't hang onto old underwear long enough to wait for the vacation to roll around.

Luggage scales are fine, but don't pack them into your suitcase. They really aren't all that accurate (I weigh luggage for customers all the time, the results can be different...close, but not accurate enough). They will add weight to your bag on the return that you could use for a new coffee mug or Christmas ornament. Just make sure your luggage is a lot less than the 50 lb. mark before going if you plan to shop. My fully packed 24" case weighs in at around 38-42 lbs.

A note on the ships hairdryers. I've never had one that works as well as my home dryer, but I'm not lugging my full sized dryer along. I have a small travel dryer that I use as a backup. My hair takes about 10-15 minutes to dry and the ships dryers usually cut out @ around 10 minutes into the drying time. They won't start up again until fully cooled, that can take 15 minutes or so. If your hair is like mine, stopping mid way through the drying process is a disaster. I just take out the handy dandy little dryer and finish the job. For those with short hair that dries quickly, or those who merely blow the hair dry to get it dry and not styled (you use another appliance after drying) it may not be that big of a deal. My travel dryer weighs just a few ounces and fits into the palm of my hand.

What do you wear/pack instead of jeans? We are off to a British Isles Cruise (cool weather) and back from an Alaskan Cruise (cold weather). We need our jeans but would love an alternative!! Any ideas?

If you need a true warmth layer, pack silk long undrwear to wear under pants. Regular tights (for women) can add a little warmth. (My husband and I both use our silk long underwear when we travel in winter/to cold climates. We did NOT bring them to AK, it just wasn't necessary)

I never travel with jeans - too heavy, too hot, too long to dry etc. I travel with microfiber (from casual to dressy) or cotton, silk or linen, depending on my destination and activities there.

What do you wear/pack instead of jeans? We are off to a British Isles Cruise (cool weather) and back from an Alaskan Cruise (cold weather). We need our jeans but would love an alternative!! Any ideas?

I would probably wear a pair of jeans on the plane/drive for an Alaskan cruise. I would want the jeans for excursions. I always wear my heaviest outfit and shoes on the plane so I don't have to pack them. If I was doing an Alaskan cruise, I would plan on having the jeans washed once or twice through the ship's laundry service. I believe jeans can be worn 2 times if not too dirty because of an excursion after the first time.

First of all, a note about flying on Southwest: Although two bags fly free, if you will start or end your cruise outside the U.S. you still have to worry about another airline's policy because Southwest does not fly ot other countries. So I strongly recommend choosing an airline that only charges for the second bag if you are not going to start or end in the United States. (That would automatically eliminate United, U.S. Airways, and others.) I hope that will not be a problem for you if you do have to fly outside the United States to your embarkation port.

For me personally, it will look like this:

- I never use hair dryers or curling irons, so that is not a problem.

- I selected Crystal partly because it offers laundry valet services.

- Because I live in the Midwest, I have to wear jeans on the plane.

- I will pack 3 pairs of shoes: sneakers, sandals, and black flats.

- Pills, cell phone, travel alarm, etc. will be in a small backpack.

- Postcards, brochures, and photos can go in a suicase pocket.

My only worry about packing is making sure my formal dresses will not be messed up. For them and my jewelry, I might use Crystal's door to door luggage transport system - if enough people endorse it, of course.

my shoes really dont weigh that much...so i dont limit myself on those...always make sure i have enough just in case...

to keep the weight down we weigh the bags and adjust accordingly...i will never just be one to travel with carry-ons...usually have 1 checked bag each and a carry-on and then if its longer vacation/cruise we have a medium sized bag...frankly anymore i dont care what it costs with the luggage...so if i cant make the weight i will check another bag and then i just add the cost of the luggage into my ticket....sometimes we STRESS or i STRESS more about the weight issue and overpacking and i have found with the last 2 cruises just take what i want and be HAPPY...not overweight but we did have an extra checked bag for our 2 week cruise to the Panama Canal...all the STRESS over packing and things just wasnt worth it and personally i dont care if i ever pack light or just with a carry-on.

Same here. I refuse to wear the same thing over within two weeks at home, why would I do it on vacation? I pack wisely going out, but returning with goodies sometimes require another bag. What are you going to do? Just enjoy your vacation. Oh, and if you are flying to Europe, I'd suggest Air France. They allow for two checked bags free and the food is great for an airline... and the wine is free too.

Edited by DivasDare

Same here. I refuse to wear the same thing over within two weeks at home, why would I do it on vacation? I pack wisely going out, but returning with goodies sometimes require another bag. What are you going to do? Just enjoy your vacation. Oh, and if you are flying to Europe, I'd suggest Air France. They allow for two checked bags free and the food is great for an airline... and the wine is free too.

Only after my Med cruise did I understand why packing lighter is so much more important when traveling to Europe. The cabs are smaller, the hotel rooms are tiny, at times there are no elevators and no bellhops to assist you carrying your luggage up several flights.

I repeat this many times, but I truly believe that when packing light, quality beats quantity. You don't need to sacrifice fashion to look well dressed and absolutely no one cares that you have worn the same clothing multiple times.

And...I don't at all mind wearing the same clothes over within a two week period at home. There are even times I will wear the same pants twice (after laundering) twice in one week to work, no big deal.

Only after my Med cruise did I understand why packing lighter is so much more important when traveling to Europe. The cabs are smaller, the hotel rooms are tiny, at times there are no elevators and no bellhops to assist you carrying your luggage up several flights.

I repeat this many times, but I truly believe that when packing light, quality beats quantity. You don't need to sacrifice fashion to look well dressed and absolutely no one cares that you have worn the same clothing multiple times.

And...I don't at all mind wearing the same clothes over within a two week period at home. There are even times I will wear the same pants twice (after laundering) twice in one week to work, no big deal.

I don't mind wearing the same pants more than once, if they are not dirty. I will wear the same pair of pants to dinner on a cruise 2-3 times if I can get them washed.

Yes, for me, absolutely packing light is about being able to easily manage my own luggage as much as it is about saving on baggage fees. If I *need* to check bags, I will, but if I can get buy with a tote bag and a 22" rolling bag carry-on, I'll do it.

As a child, travelling with my parents - the rule was - you can pack whatever you want, but you carry your own bags:p And that's how I carry on as an adult.....

I have done some longer trips in Europe and China, and would not leave home without the vacuum bags. You can go to any travel or luggage shop and by the ones with the one way valve and you can roll the bag to get the excess air out. It makes everything so much neater and easy to find in your suitcase. And towards the middle of the trip you can start to use one for dirty clothes, they always take up more space than clean clothes.

Does it help me not overpack, not necessarily, my heavy objects always end up being too many pairs of shoes. ;)

I have done some longer trips in Europe and China, and would not leave home without the vacuum bags. You can go to any travel or luggage shop and by the ones with the one way valve and you can roll the bag to get the excess air out. It makes everything so much neater and easy to find in your suitcase. And towards the middle of the trip you can start to use one for dirty clothes, they always take up more space than clean clothes.

Does it help me not overpack, not necessarily, my heavy objects always end up being too many pairs of shoes. ;)

I have a few of these bags, and I plan on using them to help create more space in the suitcase. I think it will be great to pack dirty clothes in them on the way back.

I don't mind wearing the same pants more than once, if they are not dirty. I will wear the same pair of pants to dinner on a cruise 2-3 times if I can get them washed.

Yes, it is about quality and not quantity, but it is also about personal preference. I did 12 days in Europe last year with a 26" and carry-on and never repeated, and wasn't over weight... until returning with all of the gifts I bought for others. My trip included an over-night train from Paris to Rome, and I knew that I would be responsible for handling my luggage in my sleeping car. And I plan to do the same again this year with one bag and carry-on.

Again, it is about personal preference when it comes to planning your wardrobe needs while traveling. I find that lighter fabrics also take up last space and weight.

Enjoy your vacations~ I know I will. *wink*

Edited by DivasDare

DivasDare (or anyone), two questions:

1. If you traveled 12 days without repeating in a 26" suitcase, could you elaborate about how you did it instead of just that you did it? I will be gone 15 days and cannot figure out how to do it without repeating and washing pieces along the way.

2. The free wine on Air France: did you find that drinking a modest amount of wine during your flight had the deleterious effects we are warned about? It seems to me to be a good way to relax and fall asleep, but every advice source says "avoid caffeine and alcohol".