National Review cruise - HAL

Rmascot25

The National Review, a conservative publication, is hosting a Nov. 14th 2010 7 day postelection cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale featuring several nationally known conservative speakers. It's very pricey, assuming because of the quality of the speakers and seminars. Has anyone taken this type of cruise? Do they reduce the price at the last minute if they don't sell out? My husband is wanting to go, but I don't know about paying $2400 pp for an ocean view. The ship is Nieuw Amsterdam.

You have GOT to be kidding! That much and its not even a LARGE suit! I would forget it. Go hear the people when they are speaking near you. HAL must be paying a bundle to all to speak.

What happens if YOU book THAT cruise on that date? How much will that cost?

People cruise for a lot of different reasons and spend money on all sorts of things.

If your DH wants to spend his money on a cruise with interesting people he admires, I think he should.

Their web site describes a lot of inclusive actvities, so the price isn't just for the cabin.

http://www.nationalreviewcruise.com/

Bon Voyage!

well, you can't book the cruise on your own, I guess it's been essentially chartered by the National Review. Yikes, it's expensive, I might hold out and see if the price goes down at some point. thanks for your comments.

You have GOT to be kidding! That much and its not even a LARGE suit! I would forget it. Go hear the people when they are speaking near you. HAL must be paying a bundle to all to speak.

What happens if YOU book THAT cruise on that date? How much will that cost?

HAL isn't paying anyone. It's a Charter.

The National Review has bought the ship for the week.

They set the prices, menus, entertainment, and itinerary.

They pay the speakers.

They make the profits.

If you want to book the cruise, you must do it through the National Review - not HAL.

I was on the previous National Review Charter. The featured speakers hid for most of the cruise and rarely spoke to the "common people". They also had plenty of "private" functions that took public areas away from passengers who had paid extra to be on that cruise.

Hello,

The conservative speakers "hid" from passengers! That's great because they had the "freedom" to be where they wanted to be on the ship, and when they wanted to converse with passengers.

I am puzzled though, because why would you want to go on an expensive cruise to hear what is "free" on internet sites every hour of the day and Rushbo on the radio? And Glen and Sean and Ann and other great conservatives on cable television. And... if things are as bad in our great country as articles in the National Review says it is, how does the National Review justify charging a significant premium for a cruise? Do the conservatives have any money left over, after paying what they say are ruinous taxes?

I found the cruise available on several on-line TA web sites, as well as HAL's, so I don't think that NR chartered the whole ship; although you probably wouldn't be admitted to their group activities if you booked the regular fare.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?durationCode=&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=NA&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=I047&destCode=C&dateCode=11_2010

Following was posted a week ago on the NationalReviewOnline website:

"165 Cabins Booked on NR Post-Election Cruise [Jack Fowler]

Somehow the weekly report found me in Portugal, with great news that the NR 2010 Post-Election Cruise is shaping up to be a mega success. Since last week another two dozen-plus cabins have been booked. As well should be the case: Check out the super speaker line-up at www.postelectioncruise.com.

And sign up before it's too late, which will be the case very soon."

Unless they are planning on super brisk sales in the near future, I question whether this indeed is a full ship charter. If only 165 cabins are booked to date, 6 months out, they have some heavy marketing to do!

to BruceMuzz: When did you go on the NR cruise? You said they had private functions - did these cost extra? Or, what did one have to do to get into a private function? It seems that with the cost of this cruise, one should get into everything. Thanks for your information.

The National Review, a conservative publication, is hosting a Nov. 14th 2010 7 day postelection cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale featuring several nationally known conservative speakers. It's very pricey, assuming because of the quality of the speakers and seminars. Has anyone taken this type of cruise? Do they reduce the price at the last minute if they don't sell out? My husband is wanting to go, but I don't know about paying $2400 pp for an ocean view. The ship is Nieuw Amsterdam.

I wouldn't risk it. With all of these Speakers and passengers leaning to the Right, the ship might capsize.

Was on the cruise last summer with National Review. Other than when they closed the Crow's Nest for a coctail party, you never know they are there. When they did close it,it was usually before dinner for a couple of hours. Plenty of other bars to get a drink. If they don't have their name tag on, you won't know them from any other passenger. Our room was normal price, thru TA.

So, since it was not a full ship charter, the only way to get into the private functions was to book thru NR and get special credentials. Which is why the NR price was higher then the price charged by HAL.

All these affinity sailings work this way, from NR thru The Nation's sailings.

CC has an article listing affinity sailings for 2010-2011, not complete.

Hello,

I am not interested in this cruise. You can hear Phyllis Schafly any time.

For those of you hell bent to go, Bernard Lewis is not to be missed. He is a true authority on Islam and the Middle East.

Archived