Skagway Timing

geoherb

I just booked us on the Sapphire Princess this morning. It's scheduled to be in Skagway from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Is it possible to rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake and back in that timeframe? We probably would not want to start until 7:30 and of course would like to be back to the ship before 4 p.m. Do the rental car companies open that early? What is the minimum amount of time we should plan?

I just booked us on the Sapphire Princess this morning. It's scheduled to be in Skagway from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Is it possible to rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake and back in that timeframe? We probably would not want to start until 7:30 and of course would like to be back to the ship before 4 p.m. Do the rental car companies open that early? What is the minimum amount of time we should plan?

I don't think the car rental companies open quite that early but there are only two so should be easy to check it out. It only takes a little over an hour to drive up there (not accounting for stops of course) so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the scenery and hopefully the wildlife. Enjoy.:)

Should have enough time. but we just made the drive last week (first time) and it took us almost 3 hours each way because the scenery was so beautiful that we stopped at almost every pull out to take a picture. Welcome to Alaska sign, Yukon sign, etc...Plus we pulled in to Carcross town, caribou crossing to see the huskies/gold pan. We were lucky enough to see a bear eating grass along the way, so that was a good 15 minutes. I would also check to see how many ships are in port that day. May make a difference with time wasted at the car rental office and the boarder crossing. And make sure to take some food with you because getting lunch at the "resort" just before emerald lake was another hour.

We just took this trip last week. You "could" make the trip in a about 2-3 hours, but of course you will be stopping lots to take pictures and absorb it all. The scenery is incredible!!! You will not regret it.

Avis opens at 8, but we picked up the car at 9 and returned at about 3pm. Only about a 10 minute walk from Avis to the cruise terminal. We also used Murray's Guide, and especially liked that it explained the landmarks and showed where the best spots were to see wildlife. We probably would've driven right past some of that stuff, never knowing the history behind it. We stopped alot, so you could easily make this trip shorter, but I think 6 hours is a good estimate to really enjoy it all.

On the drive, we saw a variety of strange birds, 2 black bears, Dall sheep, and a porcupine. You will love it!

Archived