Back from sailing on the Freedom of the Seas

Hello - I do plan on writing a long review but wanted to post a short summary of our sailing recently (5/9/10) on the Freedom of the Seas --- Husband & I are in our early 50's and sailed with two daughters - ages 24 & 26. We have cruised 10 XS. 9 with Royal Caribbean - Princess a couple of years ago. Our last family cruise was in 2005 on the Adventure of the Seas .... We all had a wonderful time. The ship was huge and beautiful. As people state.. you rarely feel overwhelmed with people.

We had a balcony room on floor 7.. Our cabin steward was excellent. We sailed the Eastern and enjoyed all the ports. We visited Sapphire Beach along with Coco Cay and St. Martin.

The weather was perfect. Our trip from Orlando airport to Port Can. via Coco Beach shuttle went very smooth!

The couple of negatives - Food.. we really thought the food had gone down hill from 2005. I know RCCL was never know for there quality of food but I did feel they didn't offer the usual in the dining room. I believe they are forcing you to attend the other prime dining spots for a fee. I was surprised to see a calzone offerred in the dining room? Some type of shrimp (Prawns?) that were very hard to remove from shell along with scallops/with risotto that was very tough.. I was disappointed also in the entertainment for adults.. On Princess there was always some music during cocktail times before dinner and many comedians in an open area.. RCCL's entertainment seemed to start at 10:00 - 11:00 pm - sometimes (most of the time) too late for my husband & I.

All in all we had a great time and would sail again. Daughter also had severe food allergies.. for the most part the head waiter was great.. but once they served her apple pie with almonds scattered around.. Needless to say - she had a reaction.. needed benedryl and inhaler..

I also thought sometimes they didn't have enough help at the bars.. they seem overwhelmed..

Just my thoughts.. While I am listing the negatives.. the positives certainly outweighted the negatives and wish I was on the FOS right now!

If anyone has any questions - please ask..

I have a few questions. Did u get a good price on the shuttle; did u arrive orlando on the day of your cruise or did u spend the night? Was your shutlle both ways; did u go on flowrider? Did they they talk about the upgrades coming to Freedom? thanks

Hi Karen,

We'll be on the FOS in July....would love to hear more about your cruise, e.g. ports, cabin, etc. We have a beach house in Belmar, not far from Point Pleasant. We remember the good old days when we took our son to the amusement park in PP. Now, that he's 36 we don't go too often...waiting for grandchildren so we can take them. We do visit PP though, our friends have a B & B there.

Please write more.

Amy

I am leaving on FOS a week from sunday, and I would like to ask about this food issue that seems to come up and I would appreciate any honest feedback on it.

What exactly are your expectations of the food in the MDR?

I don't mean this as an insulting question, just trying to understand what your expectations are (were)?

Are you expecting Michelin Star cuisine?

Are you expecting four star?

Would you consider it comparable to a chain restaurant like Outback, Red Lobster, Carrabba's?

Just want to know what I am looking at in a week

Thanks

This is not the first time I've read poor reviews about the food, so I'm curious what to expect this September on my second RCI cruise. Is the food bad or just not great?

Last summer I was on the Navigator leaving from Rome and I liked the food. I don't know if the food served on European cruises is maybe better than cruises in the Caribbean. Or maybe I just don't have as sensitive as a pallet as some others.

I thought the food in the MDR was quite good but the selection was limited. We ended up having beef or lamb most nights as the other offerings didn't appeal to us. (The vegetarian offerings were always some kind of Indian things made with cauliflower.) That said the meat was always "done" properly - the waiter would inform us that it was only available medium-rare or medium-well - and since we like ours rare to medium it was always good. The rolls were wonderful. I really liked the way the asst waiter would serve the rolls from a huge tray so you could pick what you liked and not have to share a basket of 6 rolls with your tablemates and try to be polite about not taking the "good" ones every night. (That was also nice since you didn't have others pawing through the roll basket.) I am not much on desserts (usually just have sherbert) so I can't comment on them.

We leave tomorrow and are going on the saphire beach excursion-just wondering how it was-it got mixed reviews on the boards-were the restrooms open and if you snorkeled how was it? we are going with our kids 8 and 14 and need an open bathroom.

I have to agree about the food...years ago, dining was a lovely experience...much of what is now in Chops and Portofino was on the MDR menu....so yes, they ARE trying to get you to pay to eat better! Used to be a 5 course dining experience with MANY choices.

Of course, you won't go hungry on a cruise, but it's simply not how it was in the past.

I have continued to read some "not so great" comments on the food which does come to some what of a surprise to me because my family has cruised RCCL many of times in the past and had said the food was quite nice, much more of an upgrade from Carnival. I wonder if RCCL has changed something in their food or food prep or maybe as someone stated earlier, they are trying to have you go eat in the upgraded dining area for a fee. Seems very weird to me.

People often complain about the food. I personally think it is good. I mean it isn't 5 star, unless you eat at Chops, but if you consider they are making it in mass mass quantities it is good.

Hello everyone - I am going to try and answer the questions asked regarding my cruise on FOS.. Of course this is just one person's opinion... : )

We had a cabin on the 7th floor (on the "hump") 7332. It was a fantastic location and as stated our cabin. stew. was great. I believe it was cat. E2? - We did make it to Cococay.. and it was very nice. I chose not to eat there.. Husband and one daughter had burgers.. ok.. but a lot of flies around food which really can't be helped..

The shuttle was recommended on Cruise Critic. We paid $208 for round trip/ for 4 people in private van... I would recommend - they were prompt and organized. You could probably pay a little less if you went with others on the shuttle. We arrived in Orlando early Sunday morning and they were there early to greet us. We had phone number to call. We did receive a 10% discount for mentioning Cruise Critc..!

We looked at the flowrider but did not try it.. it looked fun though.. No mention of any upgrades..

As for my expectations for the food - I really don't know how to explain. it just wasn't what it used to be.. the quality and the selections.. I certainly never went hungry.. I would sail again but wish they would work on the menu! : ) I agree with other poster that they used to offer more foods that are now being served at Chops/Portofinos.. etc.

We opted for My Time Dining after trying it on Princess and liking it.. RCCL seems to still be ironing details out.. They claim only 1/2 a dining room is my My Time Dining.. everyone else still going with Traditional. We did not get to see any songs/entertainment by the waiters..

Sapphire Beach was nice but as stated before in previous postings on Cruise Critic - alittle run down. The restrooms were there but a little dirty.. The beach was beautiful and the snorkling was good (according to daughter & Husband).. We would go there again as Megan's Bay always seemed more crowded.

Hope I answered most of everyone's questions ! If your sailing on the Freedom you will have wonderful time! I wish I was on her now! : )

Karen

Karen,

I just booked my parents on 7338 on FOS. Do you have any pictures of your room I might be able to share with them? They were specifically looking for pics of what the balcony looks like as they have never cruised before.

Thanks,

Melissa

The Freedom is our favorite ship to date, but I have to agree with you about a lot of the entertainment (music, etc) starting later in the evening. We would have liked to have some things start earlier because at home we are in bed by 10:00 on a work night and it's tiring after a long day of activities for us old people (my husband and I haha) to stay up too late. Glad you had a good cruise though and sorry to hear about your daughter and the food allergy. I haven't seen calzone in the dining room before. I think I'd like to try that.

I think declining food quality in MDR is really going to hurt the servers and morale. Not all pax are as informed and you and I and willing to pay tips to servers if don't use dining room.

I see pax opting to put the tip money toward specialty restaurants a couple times and then eating at casual venues the rest of the cruise. Today's casual pax doesn't want to dress for dinner and have it take a good chunk of time unless it is "worth it".

We were on the same May 9th sailing and had a wonderful time!!! The ship was beautiful and the staff was great.

We ate all of our meals in the Windjammer because they seemed to have all the same selections as the dining room and we could go at our leisure. Food is not a big issue for us, so we found plenty to choose from and did not go away hungry.

The one thing I do wish RCCI would do is have some 50's/60's dance music for us "baby boomers". They had this on one of the Carnival ships we sailed and the club was packed out every night. We had so much fun!!

We are booked on the exact same cruise in November and are very much looking forward to it!!!

I am curious about the entertainment. Were there comedians? Is there any music earlier in the evening?? We have been cruising on Princess and are excited to try RCCL. Princess had lots going on earlier in the evening so would you please let me know if there is much to do at that time. We don't stay up real late but we do enjoy dancing and listening to music.

We are trying to choose between the Freedom and Serenade.

Thanks for your help!!

My daughter age 16 (the book worm) wants to ask what the library is like. Is there places to read in the Library? Do they loan out books or sale books? She is going with a group of Girl Scouts and sometimes needs down time. They are booked for the Deck 7.

Archived