Possible Coastal Disturbance near Bahamas?

searlie

Hi - I just saw on the news this morning that there is a possible coastal disturbance near the Bahamas and will impact the eastern seaboard if it develops... I hope I am worrying for nothing, but does anybody know what will happen if this does turn into a named storm? (it will be Alex, the first named storm of the year) I cruise next week out of NYC...right around the time it will be impacting the waters so I am freaking out just a bit. I wonder if it is too late to purchase cruise insurance? :eek:

Thanks for any help!

Chances of any development are very very slim. The water temperature is still too cool (thanks in part to the overly cold winter!) for and major development. I'm sure you'll be fine, but I'd guess nobody would sell cruise insurance against a storm if there is one already brewing...

Not to worry we had such a situation a few years ago and the Ship just heads out to sea since they know ahead of time. They may change the ports of call and give you more days at sea. We did see the horizon and the storm front, it was beautiful but we were not in it's path at all.

Generally, you should purchase insurance when you book the cruise (or VERY soon after...)...getting it now probably won't do you much good...it's like waiting until you break an arm to buy health insurance....pre-existing, and all that!

Thanks for the helpful replies all! I will keep praying this storm does not amount to anything! I guess I also have to realize the cruise ships and captains are used to this type of thing and will change course to avoid it... :o

I have lived in SE Florida for 35 years, and with the colder waters still around, yuou have nothing to fear. Just get packing and enjoy the cruise!!:D

BUT....you should buy insurance, just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

Just curious, if you did purchase insurance now what would you expect the insurance to do for you if it does become a named storm?

before buying insurance now, ask a lo of questions on exactly what is or isn't covered. they usually advise you to get insurance when booking the cruise.

Thanks Jeanne! Funny, my Mom's name is Jeanne spelled just like yours...you don't see that spelling very often -- and she lives in Florida also! (Melbourne)

It is old fashioned, I was named after my mother, but I use Jeanne, pronouncing it Jeannie sounds more younger! :D

Thank you Paul for that good news!

Regarding what I think the insurance would do at this point, I am really not sure...I don't know what all it includes. I am just going to hope for the best!

:D

As you realize by now, the Capt is probably even less interested in sailing through a hurricane than you are. They will do their best to keep you safe and happy.

Hurricanes can happen any time of the year. Just watch The deadiest catch. There are hurricanes in the Bering sea in the winter when the water is 38*. And the Nor'easters in north America in the winter.

Thanks BIG Steve...I tend to worry and obsess too much, drives my husband nuts! Deadlist Catch is one of his favorite shows and he always says if it is rough seas, it will only make him more hungry! Haha, we are a strange pair...! Thanks again! :D

I ship out in 8-12-10

And they say that its peek...

Now what do they do if you have to stay out to see for a couple more days....Not to sound stupid but food and stuff like that? And do you get credit or have to pay more?

If for any reason you need to stay on the ship out to sea a day or two more, you will not have to pay anything. If that happens it's usually the ship that makes that decision. You will not run out of food, so don't worry about that. :D

Archived