Yet another odd question: My own salad dressing

alaskaboy2

Will they freak if I bring my own bottle of salad dressing along? I like french dressing, but not the typical weak, eastern "orange" stuff. We in the midwest like our french dressing red. :)

I wonder why they call it "French Dressing." I'm referring to the orange stuff; I am not familiar with the Midwestern variety. I never saw anything like that when I lived there. Of course, I didn't go everywhere, so who knows...

That said, I hope you are able to enjoy your favorite dressing on the ship!:)

Salad dressing--bring it in a old (washed) bottle of salad dressing and pack it in the suitcase. Bring a small container so you can refill it wil dressing instead of bringing the bottle....Red French dressing...hmm, Catalina dressing is red...never saw a red French dressing before..

Eggs--I like my eggs brown but from FREE RANGE hens, so if you see a brown chicken or two running around the decks, it's mine.....

You just had an idea there for me. Leave the store-bought bottle in the room, pour enough into a small tupperware container and bring that to the buffet with us. Less conspicuous than hauling the whole bottle with me.

Catalina is not french dressing. :) In the midwest no self-respecting restaurant serves "orange" french dressing. It's watery, it's weak, and largely tasteless. Our East it's all the orange stuff. Out West, french doesn't much exist (couldn't even find a bottle in two grocery stores in Maui).

Lets see;

1. booze smugglers

2. chair hogs

3. stair hogs

4. $2.00 bill tippers

5. tomato juice tossers

6. soda/water smugglers

7. blow dryer smugglers

8. iron smugglers

9. flattner smugglers

and now

10. salad dressing smugglers

did I miss anyone?

Cool, I'm a first.

Salad dressing--bring it in a old (washed) bottle of salad dressing and pack it in the suitcase. Bring a small container so you can refill it wil dressing instead of bringing the bottle....Red French dressing...hmm, Catalina dressing is red...never saw a red French dressing before..

Eggs--I like my eggs brown but from FREE RANGE hens, so if you see a brown chicken or two running around the decks, it's mine.....

You and I are from Canada so we have Catalina. I don't think you can get it in the States. We love Catalina and Russian, so nice and sweet.

Now I'm curious. What is the commerical name of the dressing you are packing? I personally love Greek dressing, but it is staying right here at home.

There are any number of local/regional brands we all like. Having traveled in the East for business and eaten at restaurants from Charlotte to Boston, and just one cruise (Princess), I've always, only seen the orange stuff posing as "french". :)

It's not like I must have this "one" brand, I just hate the orange stuff. My wife is the same although she's willing to tolerate what they have. I figure, hey, it's just a simple bottle in the suit case, why not have what I like? :)

I don't know what the OP usually uses. But

one of the best "red" french dressings is

original_dressing.jpg

It's just called their "original famous" dressing. It's really great. And it

made right here in Missouri - the Show-Me state. One of my favorites is

dlbottlescorner.gif

I would describe it as a blend of orange french and poppy seed dressings.

And it is not bland as orange french often is. It comes from Columbus Nebraska

Now I'm curious. What is the commerical name of the dressing you are packing? I personally love Greek dressing, but it is staying right here at home.

Here in the Midwest it is sold under a brand called "Western Dressing" It comes in regular, low-fat and fat-free. It is a red, very sweet dressing similar to Russian. Go to your local Wendy's restaurant and order the Fat Free French with your salad, that will be IT.

Here in the Midwest it is sold under a brand called "Western Dressing" It comes in regular, low-fat and fat-free. It is a red, very sweet dressing similar to Russian. Go to your local Wendy's restaurant and order the Fat Free French with your salad, that will be IT.

Western is just one, probably the most popular. I prefer what a lot of restaurants offer more than that but it's decent.

The fat free tastes like liquid sawdust, though. :)

Western is just one, probably the most popular. I prefer what a lot of restaurants offer more than that but it's decent.

The fat free tastes like liquid sawdust, though. :)

Yes, I agree. I believe the version from Wendy's is " Kraft "

I am a chunky bleu cheese gal myself - I buy it homemade from a restaurant in Dryden - my God it is to die - none of this diet, lite, fat free for me - for the amount I use I will not give up the flavour. I guess I could make it myself as I make a bleu cheese potato salad that would knock your socks off (receipe from LCBO Food and Drink that I have altered)

I like brown eggs so we'll be bringing a chicken with us.

It would have to be a seeing eye chicken, trained to help the handicapped.

Not to try to steal the thread, but this just dawned on me,

If animals to help the handicapped are allowed on-board, (now follow me here)

and retirement/nursing homes have cats and dogs for the patients, because they are calming and relaxing...

and my cruise is to help me relax

Can I bring my cat or dog on with me?

Lets see;

1. booze smugglers

2. chair hogs

3. stair hogs

4. $2.00 bill tippers

5. tomato juice tossers

6. soda/water smugglers

7. blow dryer smugglers

8. iron smugglers

9. flattner smugglers

and now

10. salad dressing smugglers

did I miss anyone?

Message in a bottle throwers :eek: :D

You and I are from Canada so we have Catalina. I don't think you can get it in the States. We love Catalina and Russian, so nice and sweet.

Yes...You can definitely get Catalina in the US as well....

It would have to be a seeing eye chicken, trained to help the handicapped.

Not to try to steal the thread, but this just dawned on me,

If animals to help the handicapped are allowed on-board, (now follow me here)

and retirement/nursing homes have cats and dogs for the patients, because they are calming and relaxing...

and my cruise is to help me relax

Can I bring my cat or dog on with me?

Sounds good to me! I would definitely be more relaxed if I didn't have to worry about the cats stealing my car keys and leaving town while I am away because they are pissed off that I'm gone. I certainly can't see Carnival having an issue with this.....

Please please make sure your dressing, whatever it is, is properly refrigerated after opening! (I have worked for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and now work at Health Canada - trust me - I have seen and heard enuf horror stories with non-refrigerated items and things not properly cooked!!!)

Really? You can't live without your salad dressing for a week? How about branching out and trying something different? I love my chocolate creamer for coffee that I have everyday at home with peppermint extract, but guess what? I don't have it when we travel and I SURVIVE. I mean, really, who takes their own salad dressing anywhere? Who wants to take bets on what item is next that someone absolutely has to have and wants to know how to sneak it onboard?;)

It just seems to have become a challenge to some.

I have to stop every morning for a McDonalds Diet Coke - I will be bringing Ronald and friends on the cruise with me. :D Imagine the fountain cards Carnival could sell then.

OP - I would go for the individual packets as well. You could still keep them cold for meals by placing them in a small container or zip lock bag then in a small cooler with ice. But this way, if the ice melts, etc, you will still be safe. :o

Archived