Pick Pockets & Pepper Spray

joyy7403

Do what I do when I travel overseas. Pack a Taser in your jacket and zap them euro-thieves in the nuts when they try to rob ya. The Taser is especially handy also when you have a slow waiter that you want to motivate to work a bit faster. I've found that it's easier to carry than a cattle prod.

ROTFLMAO!

They are especially useful for all the snobby, rude waiters in Paris.

Thanks for the LOD (Laugh of the Day)!

You'll never know when your "picked"; in Italy traveling companion was wearing cargo pants and had his iPhone, CC & cash in the front mid-thigh pocket, zippered shut...they got all of it...:eek: Went to a nearby cafe, borrowed my phone and started making the calls to the CC companies.

Later his CFO was complaining that her purchases were all being denied and didn't know why...:rolleyes:

Unless you plan on having it in your hands at all times, there is no use as they will have your stuff and gone before you can see their hair colour.

And any pepper spray that I have seen is hard to tell which way is front and back and by the time you check to see if your holdingg it properly in order to make sure you don't spray yourself they'll be gone.

Like other poster has said you have way more crime at home to worry about.

I know Barcelona is in Spain and this is slightly off topic, but my boss is there right now and just caught a pick pocket in action. He felt a couple of slight bumps of someones backpack and realized what might be happening, so he reached his hand around and grabbed the guys hand just has he lifted the wallet. He let the guy go, once he took his wallet back. Just happened yesterday. He felt it, but like many posted, you may not even know.

My advice for woman who are carrying purses...keep them zipped at all times; dont carry the kind with a button. Also, make sure it has an extra long strap and carry it accross the body, not over the shoulder and bring the purse to the front of you.

For men, there is always the fabulous chain you see some have, or put a small wallet in your front pocket.

I wouldnt use any "self defense" in any foreign country. You might encounter more danger than you really want if you make someone mad enough.

Hope you have a good time.

Thank you, that's what I thought, but I wanted to ask. I didn't mean to start an international feud!

And no, mattia, I will never get use to crime. But I can sleep with my loaded .357 beside my bed and defend myself if a crime is committed in my house. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And pickpockets are also a small group of people that I would like to prevent myself from encountering if at all possible.

You shouldn't be bringing gun policy into this discussion, but since you did, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited to remove my comment since this is no place for a gun discussion. My apologies.

You're all right. I am just so excited about myMediterranean cruise and I don't want anything to go wrong. I have been reading about the underclothes waist pockets, etc. and will use caution carrying my purse. We've been to Las Vegas, New York City and other places but this will be our first trip to Europe. Perhaps too much reading is dangerous?:o Thanks so much, everyone!!

My husband carries his wallet in his back pocket and won't listen to my warnings and he has never been pickpocketed. My friend's husband had his neck pouch cord snipped and stolen on a bus in Germany!

Viv

Carry a wallet in your back pocket that has nothing but paper in it. Put your valuables elsewhere on your body, and get a good laugh if the empty wallet turns up missing. You can even write some select comments on the paper that you put in the wallet !!

I truly appreciate everyone's views & advice on this. You have given me some valuable information, definitely! I love PacSafe purses and I knew I would carry one in Europe. The camera around the neck is a dead giveaway, isn't it? We do have PacSafe straps on both cameras, but will remember not to wear them all of the time. Being aware of my surroundings & not looking like a googly-eyed tourist will be my biggest problem!:D Thanks so much!!

I truly appreciate everyone's views & advice on this. You have given me some valuable information, definitely! I love PacSafe purses and I knew I would carry one in Europe. The camera around the neck is a dead giveaway, isn't it? We do have PacSafe straps on both cameras, but will remember not to wear them all of the time. Being aware of my surroundings & not looking like a googly-eyed tourist will be my biggest problem!:D Thanks so much!!

I think the camera around your neck was a bit of rhetoric because even without it pickpockets can spot a tourist a mile away.

As an avid European traveller here is my list of ideas:

1. Don't bring several credit cards with you, that goes for your debit card as well unless you are planning to use it at a local ATM. Use ONE when you are in port. Leave everything else in the safe. Carry only a smaller amount of money with you. If you purchase larger items use the credit card.

2. If at the ATM keep your stuff in front of you and cover your PIN as you type it in. Make sure you securely tuck all the cash away before walking away from the machine. Be aware of who is around the ATM as you are making your transaction.

3. Make your wallet as thin as possible so you can tuck it in a front pocket. Take out all that extra paper, grocery club cards, and extra photos. Leave that stuff at home, or at least put it in the safe with the extra credit cards.

4. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't get too distracted.

Have fun! I have never encountered any trouble anywhere, even in Egypt but you never know when something might happen. I love to travel Europe.

That does not include gratuity!!

LOL!

I've always gotten some amusement from the irony that Europeans like to brag about their "free healthcare" but they are unable to provide decent public bathrooms for "free." Hell...You're lucky to find one with a toilet seat even if you do pay for it.

As an avid European traveller here is my list of ideas:

1. Don't bring several credit cards with you, that goes for your debit card as well unless you are planning to use it at a local ATM. Use ONE when you are in port. Leave everything else in the safe. Carry only a smaller amount of money with you. If you purchase larger items use the credit card.

2. If at the ATM keep your stuff in front of you and cover your PIN as you type it in. Make sure you securely tuck all the cash away before walking away from the machine. Be aware of who is around the ATM as you are making your transaction.

3. Make your wallet as thin as possible so you can tuck it in a front pocket. Take out all that extra paper, grocery club cards, and extra photos. Leave that stuff at home, or at least put it in the safe with the extra credit cards.

4. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't get too distracted.

Have fun! I have never encountered any trouble anywhere, even in Egypt but you never know when something might happen. I love to travel Europe.

I'll add to that list...

5. Take your passport with you.

After I was told to watch out for pickpockets in Barcelona I decided to leave ours in the safe on the ship since we didn't need them to get back on the ship. The only problem with that was I screwed up on the time we had to be back and we got left in port. Without a passport we could leave Spain, but no country would allow us to enter without said passport.

The good part was we got to spend four days in Barcelona. The bad part was we only had the clothes on our backs and it cost us a bunch of extra money.

I highly doubt you would get through airport security with such a device, much less whether it's legal there or not.

I have a key chain pepper spray and was in line for security a few weeks ago on a flight. I realized as I was standing in line that I forgot to take it off so I got out of line and took it off and put it in my glove box.

TSA pepper spray is a no no

i'll add to that list...

5. Take your passport with you.

After i was told to watch out for pickpockets in barcelona i decided to leave ours in the safe on the ship since we didn't need them to get back on the ship. The only problem with that was i screwed up on the time we had to be back and we got left in port. Without a passport we could leave spain, but no country would allow us to enter without said passport.

The good part was we got to spend four days in barcelona. The bad part was we only had the clothes on our backs and it cost us a bunch of extra money.

ouch!

Originally Posted by Music City viewpost.gif

My biggest complaint about London is I have to pay 40p to pee.

You got a bargain. In Egypt they wanted a minimum of 1 euro and asked for two. Not knowing that the first time, I gave the woman half an euro and she threw it back to me saying, I'm sure, not nice words.

We did find out we could do 2-fers--"here is a euro, it is for me and (pointing) her." The woman wasn't happy but didn't block our way. I don't even take the tp they offer because I carry a travel size roll of Charmin with me. Once we even got three for the price of one.

My husband carries a bait wallet in his back pocket. I think he is disappointed no one has ever gotten it. He has the good stuff in a "hidden pocket" which attaches to his belt and hangs inside his pants. He's gotten pretty good at hauling it out without having to drop trou.

I wear a neck bag but attach it to my bra strap so it hangs down my side (sometimes it pays to be "hippy") below my belt which I have tight around my waist. No cord showing around my neck. If I need in it, all I have to do is lift my shirt and pull it out. I don't carry a purse but if I have to (arrival/departure), there is nothing in it of value.

FYI, wasp spray is just as effective as pepper spray.

Tucker in Texas

I totally empathize with your concerns...you're not alone. ;)

Reading so much about all the pickpocketing stories in Barcelona, Rome, and Naples and some of the other countries in Europe can be mind-boggling! Esp when Barcelona is the pickpocketing capitol of the world...(I live in the #2 KIDNAPPING capitol of the world! #1 in the USA...) :(

I guess I'm just more irritated with the inconvenience of trying to carry less personal items on me...what if I stick my altoid mints in my pocket or my lip gloss or tissue or hand sanitizer...and I get bumped and they stick their hands in my pocket (boy!! they better be really good-looking to be touching my pockets!) :D

When we were in Pompeii, our guide said that Southern Italians have a bad reputation. She said it was because of all the talk on the internet about pick pockets. That made me sad.

I think tourists, anywhere, are always sitting ducks because it is known they carry money. In Barcelona, I kept most of my valuables in the inside pack and only about 60 Euros in my purse which I kept clutched in front of me. I had no problems. On Las Ramblas, I realized there were about 10,000 better targets than me when I looked around. In the ports, I left most of my money in the safe, took what I thought I would need to spend. My passport was in my belly bag under my clothes. I kept a photocopy in the stateroom just in case. I was always careful, but made sure that if someone got my purse, they wouldn't get more that 100 Euros or so.

You will look like a tourist, no matter what you do, you are a tourist.

Archived