Inside vs Balcony

BcIcemen

Same price?? without knowing the prices, I couldnt possibly choose. How much extra for a balcony?? There arent balconys on the lowest decks (ok cover balconys), but for the most part they arent even on lower decks.

if prices were the same, of course everyone would say a balcony. I think that is a given.

We booked lowest deck inside es and got upgraded to a 4K which is considered an inside room with french doors that open and are blocked by a lifeboat. So no balcony but light and fresh air and I've heard the rooms are larger with a better layout too. Some of the rooms are between lifeboats so you have a much better view than others.

For both a balcony room and inside room, choice doesn't have as much to do with the deck it's on as much as what's above/below/around it. But the choice between a balcony and an inside stateroom is an easy one for me to make -- I'll take a balcony for sure. But do pay attention to what's below it if you're looking at a room on the Upper Deck -- if it's above any of the nightclubs, you might find it too noisy -- we found that out the hard way!

If it's for the same price I'd take the inside (kidding!). But price would be the determining factor for me. I don't need a balcony. They are great to have and you can feel spoiled but I've usually only had a balcony when I was upgraded (happened once on Carnival) or they offered a fantastic rate (also happened once on Carnival).

Some pros of having a balcony are: I like to have the door open and listen to the ocean at night which is the best reason for a balcony. Also you get a lot more sunlight in your cabin. The standard outside windows are tiny compared to the amount of glass a balcony cabin has.

Some cons are: The standard Carnival balcony is pretty tight. Not enough room really for full loungers, just chairs and a table. You can hear everyone talking outside so you're not guaranteed tranquility. If your upwind neighbors smoke then you're in trouble if you hate smoke. For the amount of time you'll probably spend out there it may not be worth the money.

If you have a choice, balcony!! While we were at port, I looked at other passengers on another ship looking out of their portholes and felt quite sorry for them. We loved our balcony and although we won't be able to afford to cruise often, I'll wait and splurge on a balcony!

If you have a choice, balcony!! While we were at port, I looked at other passengers on another ship looking out of their portholes and felt quite sorry for them. We loved our balcony and although we won't be able to afford to cruise often, I'll wait and splurge on a balcony!

No reason to feel sorry for us poor slobs in the portholes cabins, we are there by choice. I have cruised 14 days this year and have 10 more booked, so far.:D

No reason to feel sorry for us poor slobs in the portholes cabins, we are there by choice. I have cruised 14 days this year and have 10 more booked, so far.:D

LOL...definitely not a poor slob! I'm jealous!! I finally got to cruise two weeks ago, am dying to cruise again, but it'll probably be another year or two :( before we can afford to go again!!! Hey I'd take a porthole if I could go again sooner...but definitely love that balcony!

Okay, so let's be realistic here, everyone is saying for the same price a balcony, no brainer, but how often is a lower balcony the same as a higher inside:confused: Rarely. I compared four random sailings and found that the price of the highest category inside runs about 75% of the lowest category balcony. So I'm sure the price isn't the same.

Personally I ponder this question just about every time I cruise. More times than not I chose the inside room. This choice as Traveler353 has pointed out allows some of us to cruise more often.

But you should also consider how you use your cabin. We mostly shower and sleep there and spend a lot of time out at the pool. Many cruisers don't want to spend so much time out with the general population and prefer the privacy of a balcony.

Since I spend so much time at the pool, my ideal room is an inside on Lido, but so far I've settled for a lower deck:rolleyes:

Have a great time whatever you chose!

Beth

Some of those folks with portholes, like myself, cruise 4 or more times a year. So you can cancel the pity party, thanks just the same.;)

Archived