What do you think of these BCN restaurants?

I am trying to plan meals for our pre-cruise time in Barcelona. Does anyone have any opinions about these restaurants that I am considering?

- Casa Calvet - dinner

- La Crema Canela - lunch or dinner

- Patagonia Beef and Wine - dinner

- Cafe de l'Academia - lunch

- Restaurante Txapelas - lunch

We are staying at Atrium Palace around the corner from the Placa Catalunya, so most of these are nearby.

What do you think? any other recommendations for awesome dining experiences?

We also stayed at the Atrium Palace after a cruise a few years ago. We very much liked the location because it was a few blocks away from the tumult of the Ramblas. The surrounding area is an upscale residential area with some fine shops and the Gaudi houses.

We had dinner at Patagonia which was almost right next door and very much enjoyed our meal and the friendliness of the staff. Great Patagonian steaks! Plan on dining late, though, they do not open early for dinner! (I do not recall seeing the other restaurants you mentioned).

One evening, we walked all the way down the Ramblas, past the Columbus statue, and turned left toward the large marina. There were several seafood restaurants there. We chose La Gavina because it looked like a popular spot.

We were in Barcelona again, two weeks ago, for only one port day. We walked by the hotel and restaurant and wished we had had the opportunity to stay longer!

Be sure to visit the food market, La Boqueria. Never have we seen such a variety of foods in one place!

Cafe de L'Academia takes reservations even for lunch. I think dinner gives you more choices there than their prixe fixe lunch.

For lunch not far from there I like the restaurant inside the Santa Caterina Market.-Cuines Santa Caterina

BTW it is also smoke free.

Have friends who ate at La Crema and it was OK but not spectacular.

I don't know the others but would be interested to hear your opinion after eating at Casa Calvet. I'll be back in Barcelona on a land trip in September.

Your hotel is in a great location! I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Thanks for the feedback. The Boqueria market looks very interesting, but is it feasible to plan on eating lunch there? It looks like alot of produce and meat stands and one small counter service meal place.

Is this correct?

Not exactly.

Pinotxo Bar ("Pinocchio") is world-famous for their food. Ferran Adria, chef of *** El Bulli, eats there. If you are a foodie, this is a must try in Barcelona.

El Quim de la Boqueria is another well regarded spot. As is Universal.

None of these counters are exactly cheap, but are relatively inexpensive for their quality of food. Highly recommended.

2 more recommendations for dinner:

Danzarama is very close to you and was excellent. It is a restaurant but I think they also have tapas. Great Sangria here and the service for our CC group (about 25 people) was wonderful.

Also try Farrga which I THINK is right across the street from you. It is on Gran Via just off Ramblas north of Placa Catalunya.

Very good service and great tapas. Our CC group went here after terrrible service at Ciudad Condal. Farrga could not do enough for us! Dont miss the iberico ham croquettes, I could have eaten about 20 of them.

[...] any other recommendations for awesome dining experiences?

Assuming you truly mean awesome, my opinion from a thread over a year ago still stands:

If I were spending your money: Drolma; Lasarte; Abac

If I were spending my own money: Cinc Sentits; Gresca; Hisop

If I didn't mind a bit of travel: El Raco de San Fabes; Restaurante Sant Pau; El Celler de Can Roca

Archived