Any input: RCL vs HAL to Bermuda?....m

My husband and I have taken the Explorer 5 day cruise to Bermuda and loved it. Last year we took the kids(17, 15, 12, 7) on the NCL Dawn and it was ok. This year, we want to take them back, but on either the Explorer or on HAL. The biggest drawback to RCL is that it is only 5 days and has 2 less days in Bermuda and HAL is a 7 day. Financially, they are just about the same price, both leave from the NY area, so no flights are needed.

Any and all input either way is appreciated!! Thanks!

This is a tough one.....

Look at the ships Veendam holds up to 1350 passengers and Explorer 3100. The Explorer has more amenities to offer your kids.

However, comparing the itinerary, wow, I think HAL is better. You will dock in both Hamilton and St George for a 7-day cruise. With RCCL you dock at King's Wharf for a 5-day cruise.

Hmmm, it a good problem to have!

I think I would go with RCCL just because the days at sea will be probably be better for you and your family, more options for you.

I haven't tried HAL (but will in October) and the last time I sailed to Bermuda was on RC Nordic Prince:p But if it is the same price for 7 days vs. 5 days I think I would go with HAL. For a Bermuda cruise it seems to me Bermuda IS the destination.........so if you get more time in Bermuda that would seem to be a plus.......and all at the same price for a 5 day.

No question, I would do HAL for Bermuda. Not only is it SEVEN DAYS, it has the best itin. You have done the Explorer and seen the Dockyard, so it is time to see St Georges and Hamilton. Enjoy Bermuda whichever ship you take!!

One thing to consider is if any of you are susceptible to sea-sickness. The Veendam is a small ship and seas that would not be noticable on the Explorer might cause some discomfort. Even moderate seas could be an issue. When I was in Bermuda in early May I was talking to a taxi driver who took several people to the airport from Veendam. The crossing was rough enough that they would not sail back, they chose to fly instead.

Otherwise, the longer port call on HAL and the opportunity to dock in Hamilton and St. George's (although they miss St. George's rather often due to sea conditions, you simply spend more time in Hamilton) would swing the needle in favor of HAL IMO.

The smaller ship does have its pros though. If you aren't susceptible to sea sickness you can enjoy actually feeling like you are on a boat! I for one love it.

I have been on HAL and I really think their boats have class.

About the same $$$$?:cool:

HAL is considered a Premium cruise product , RCI mass market.:rolleyes:

The 7 night HAL Bermuda cruise VS a 5 night RCI ? 7 nighter would be my choice hands down (if it's during school vacation, other kids will be onboard).

1 full day in Bermuda is just not enough .:)

I just returned from Bermuda on the Regent Navigator (450 people.) The seas couldn't have been calmer. We spent 2 nights berthed in Hamilton and one night in St. Georges. We could see the large cruise ships waaaaaaaaaay out on the end of the island. It was so nice being right in town. I did a Meditteranean on HAL last year and it was my best cruise ever. I would go with HAL, hands down!

I haven't tried HAL (but will in October) and the last time I sailed to Bermuda was on RC Nordic Prince:p But if it is the same price for 7 days vs. 5 days I think I would go with HAL. For a Bermuda cruise it seems to me Bermuda IS the destination.........so if you get more time in Bermuda that would seem to be a plus.......and all at the same price for a 5 day.

LOL, we went on the Nordic Prince in 91 for our honeymoon! I like your line of thinking and that's how I am leaning, now to get dh on board ;)

No question, I would do HAL for Bermuda. Not only is it SEVEN DAYS, it has the best itin. You have done the Explorer and seen the Dockyard, so it is time to see St Georges and Hamilton. Enjoy Bermuda whichever ship you take!!

Good thinking, thanks!

About the same $$$$?:cool:

HAL is considered a Premium cruise product , RCI mass market.:rolleyes:

The 7 night HAL Bermuda cruise VS a 5 night RCI ? 7 nighter would be my choice hands down (if it's during school vacation, other kids will be onboard).

1 full day in Bermuda is just not enough .:)

I understand that and they are actually within a couple of hundred dollars of each other, we are a family of 6 and need 2 cabins. Costco seems to have the lowest fares/ better incentives. I have done my $$ homework for this trip :) Farewise, right now RCL is actually 300 more than HAL, then there is the obc offered by costco which will more than cover the week's tips.

ITA that a full day is not nearly enough in Bermuda!!

I really appreciate it. I will definitely have to take the smaller size into consideration, my youngest was bothered slightly by the motion last year, though the rest of us liked rocking to sleep.

My husband and I have taken the Explorer 5 day cruise to Bermuda and loved it. Last year we took the kids(17, 15, 12, 7) on the NCL Dawn and it was ok. This year, we want to take them back, but on either the Explorer or on HAL. The biggest drawback to RCL is that it is only 5 days and has 2 less days in Bermuda and HAL is a 7 day. Financially, they are just about the same price, both leave from the NY area, so no flights are needed.

Any and all input either way is appreciated!! Thanks!

i've never been on hal, but my understanding is that it is mainly an older crowd, and having been on explorer to bermuda, i can say that it would probably be better for your family even though it is shorter.

One thing to consider is if any of you are susceptible to sea-sickness. The Veendam is a small ship and seas that would not be noticable on the Explorer might cause some discomfort.

Have to laugh whenever anyone refers to a ship that is 720 feet long, 101 feet wide and 57,000 GRT as SMALL (MS Veendam) or similar.

Somehow RCCL Nordic Prince (23,149 GRT, 80 ft wide, 635 feet long) managed to get DW and I to Bermuda and back in 1990. That's the max size that the original RCCL ships were stretched to.

Maybe we should reverse the perspective and say that a ship that is 138,000 GRT and over 1000 feet long (Explorer) is just TOO big for the islands of Bermuda.

I don't think I would take my kids on a HAL cruise, NY to Bermuda itinerary. Just not enough activity or amenities on the HAL ship compared to EOS to keep the kids positively occupied, and the atmosphere onboard is more sleepy/less energetic.

I've never sailed HAL but I just returned from a B to B on the Ex. and HAL was in Bermuda with us on our May 8, 5 night and they were anchored pretty far off of St. George. NCL was docked with us in Kings Wharf and the only thing I thought is that I would not want to tender on and off in Bermuda and go that distance. That's just me as I'm used to always docking in Bermuda.

My kids have been on three HAL cruises and one Carnival cruise and actually prefer HAL. They have always loved the HAL tween-age club and just hanging with us playing ping pong or swimming. They will be just turned 13 for our cruise to Bermuda on HAL and not sure they will like the teen club as well but I think the HAL staff does a great job with the kids.

If prices are similar I would do HAL if I were you. Normally i would choose RCCL over anyone but if you already did the Explorer all the shows and experiences are going to be the same, you are better off trying a new experience and getting two extra days. If it ends up not being as good at least you can say you tried a different line and now you know.

Archived