Trying to decide what time to book Borghese Gallery

cbowler

Hi - I'm trying to decide what time to book our tickets for the Borghese Gallery. I'm leaning towards the 1st slot (9-11am).

We'd like to visit the gardens afterwards but I am wondering what our options for lunch are in the area. I would imagine there's food somewhere at Borghese Gallery but I don't really want one of my Italian meals to be at a museum, you know??? :D

Are there ample places to eat near there such that we could break during our visit to the gardens and grab some lunch? Or should I pick a later time slot after lunch? Hmmm....:confused:

Thanks for the help!

I've eaten at the tea shop in the gallery, it's fine but it's exactly what you'd expect to get in a museum, it's not going to be a memorable meal. However, it is convenient.

Inside the park you'll find vendors selling typical street food; I don't remember any other eating options. However, if you leave the park you can find restaurants on the local streets. The gallery is quite close to the street (it's in the north east corner of the park) - Via Pinciana. Although I can't remember a specific restaurant, I'm sure there are some. It's a largely residential area, not far from the American embassy.

As for the 9 AM time slot, I don't see how you could make that. There is a 7:33 train from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini that arrives at 8:50, but there's no way, even by cab, that you could get to the Borghese in ten minutes. If you don't mind getting there ten minutes or so late, than this could work, but only if you get that 7:33 train. The next one gets to Termini at 9:20 (departs Civitavecchia at 7:59). Of course, this assumes you are talking about a port day in Civitvecchia, your post didn't specify.

I was also wondering if you are coming in that day for a port stop from your ship or if you are in Rome pre cruise??

9AM is too early from the ship.

We did not eat anywhere near the Borghese BUT if you walk through the park to the opposite side you can visit Santa Maria de Popolo and eat around that area near the Piazza del Popolo.

Another option if you are doing the 9 a.m. booking, is to bring a snack for after your gallery visit (granola bars are a staple with us), spend some time in the gardens, and then head off to your next destination, with a lunch stop then. We visited the gallery from 4-6 p.m., and walked through the gardens from La Spagna metro stop. (It's large park, and from what I recall, not much in the way of floral gardens.)

Enjoy...both the gallery and the works of art are wonderful!:)

Don't know if the policy is strictly applied, and from what I observed this April I doubt it, but I think you are supposed to pick up your tickets 1/2 hour before your entrance otherwise they may be sold to a waiting patron.

Perhaps someone else can clarify if this policy is indeed followed.

Also be aware that the tickets state that you need to pick them up 30 minutes before your time, or they can be released.

I have the printed tickets, and it says:

"Reserved and purchased tickets must be collected 30 minutes before the entrance time. Reservation not collected within this time limit will be deleted."

Not sure how strict they are on this, just passing along the information printed on my tickets.

I would choose to visit the Gallery early. When we stayed in Rome we were close to the gallery and opted for the early time. Although they only allow in a certain number of people I'm sure that it was particularly quiet because we were there so early and, unlike many galleries we've visited, we felt we could really appreciate it without crowds of people. You are also on the periphery of the areas people generally want to visit in Rome so, if you visit the gallery early you can then make your way back towards the other attractions.

As for eating, if you visit the gallery between 9 and 11 and then see the gardens it will still be quite early and (even though the gallery and gardens are in an oasis of peace) you are really only a 15-30 min stroll from a much busier area with plenty of restaurants. Search google for restaurant close to Borghese and look at the reviews or else head off to the next place you want to see and eat close to there

Ah - that's helpful information. Since you'll already be in Rome, by all means take the early slot. Afterwards, there is a wonderful restaurant on Via Margutta. I can't remember the name at the moment, but it will come to me eventually and I'll post it.

If you're in a hurry, you can cut through the Spagna metro stop (and mall) between the park and Piazza di Spagna. However, if you add just a few more minutes, you can walk along Via della Trinita dei Monti and walk down the Spanish Steps, and from there to Via Margutta.

Ah - that's helpful information. Since you'll already be in Rome, by all means take the early slot. Afterwards, there is a wonderful restaurant on Via Margutta. I can't remember the name at the moment, but it will come to me eventually and I'll post it.

If you're in a hurry, you can cut through the Spagna metro stop (and mall) between the park and Piazza di Spagna. However, if you add just a few more minutes, you can walk along Via della Trinita dei Monti and walk down the Spanish Steps, and from there to Via Margutta.

Thanks for the tip. If you happen to remember the name of it, give a shout and I'll plan to seek it out! :D

I would recommend the 11:00 time slot as there is an English guided tour at that time (11:10). It's 1 euro more than just renting the head phones and so much more informative. There were only 6 in our group and the guide pointed out so many details. Just returned from our cruise and this was a highlight of our post cruise time in Rome.

Found the Vatican museum & Sistine Chapel way to crowded for us. The sign says no talk and no picture taking but everyone ignored the signs. St Peter's Basilica was fantatic.

Thanks for the tip. If you happen to remember the name of it, give a shout and I'll plan to seek it out! :D

I came up with it, it's Osteria Margutta (duh), how hard was that to remember?

While trying to remember, a friend reminded me of a place they love (but I've never been there, just to be clear) called Ristorante Nino on Via Borgognona, 11. It's also quite close to the bottom of the Spanish Steps.

I came up with it, it's Osteria Margutta (duh), how hard was that to remember?

While trying to remember, a friend reminded me of a place they love (but I've never been there, just to be clear) called Ristorante Nino on Via Borgognona, 11. It's also quite close to the bottom of the Spanish Steps.

Thanks so much! We'll try one of them. I know you are a regular poster here on the Italy board and I just wanted to mention how helpful your posts are, even if I'm not the OP or even comment. I gathered a wealth of knowledge just lurking around. :)

Thanks!

Archived