visit to rome,florence and naples

wheelerdealer

I will be cruising with my 2 teenage sons in June to Rome,Florence and Naples on Royal Caribbean. I am looking for the cheapest self tours in the cities when departing from the ship. Any suggestions. I know in naples taxis can take you to pompeii and other places.

The suggestion above is great. By reading the boards and searching you will find out that public transit is much cheaper, off times faster and a great experience. Just be sure to check for strikes in areas. There are sites to tell you if there are planned strikes that would effect your travel. Most of all enjoy your holiday.

There is a train you can take to Pompeii and to Herculaneum which is very cheap!!!

you can also get to Amalfi or Positano, or Capri by ferry/hydrofoil to any of these relatively cheap. I would recommend if you are doing on your own to choose either Pompeii or Amalfi coast but not both. To time consuming to do both with public transportation and you wouldn't have time unless you are staying in port overnight.

don't think there's that much to do in Naples.

Sorrento okay, but flat. ferry to Sorrento from Naples dock only 10 Euros per person. a little more if you go to Capri (I think 15 euros) or Positano or Amalfi not a lot more!!!

Pompeii train cheap (under 10 euros per person I think) entrance to Pompeii 11 euros per person

Audio guide 8 euros per person at Pompeii or you can hire a private guide at gates.

Pompeii and Herculaneum very doable on own.

Click on this thread to give you ideas of how to do Amalfi coast on your own cheaply http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1139156&referrerid=444444

Coast is VERY beautiful!!!

• 2 months later...

Cheapest is DIY with public transportation, it will requires some hiking but if with teens in tow likely a fun adventure. As another poster said, search the threads here there are some good detailed posts on how to DIY for very cheap where you can get to Rome and Florence.

I will be cruising with my 2 teenage sons in June to Rome,Florence and Naples on Royal Caribbean. I am looking for the cheapest self tours in the cities when departing from the ship. Any suggestions. I know in naples taxis can take you to pompeii and other places.

You mention a train to herculaneum ? We dock at Naples on the Voyager of the Seas. How do we get to herculaneum, by ourselves, from there ?

Step one is to get from the cruise port, at Molo Beverello, to the Circumvesuviana regional train station at Porta Nolana (on Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi - if you make a google map, use #49 as the street address and you'll see the station). The station is about a mile and a quarter from the port, so you can walk, take a cab, or the #1 tram that runs along the street in front of the cruise port (Piazza Municipio/Via Cristoforo Colombo).

Note: before getting on your first leg of public transit, whether it is the tram or the train, you need to get your tickets. To cover full day travel, including trains, buses, trams, etc., between Naples and Herculeneum, you need a UnicoCampania U2 ticket, which costs Euro 3,70 for the entire day. (website and information here: http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en&center=inside&colonna=biglietti&action=1). These tickets can be purchased at most newstands.

Step two, take the Circumvesuviana train from Napoli Porta Nolana to Ercolano Scavi. (website here: http://www.circumvesuviana.com/web/en). From the station, walk down the hill toward the water to the entrance of the ruins. (More information and a map of the site here: http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=Herculaneum&idSezione=1166&idSezioneRif=1726).

Naples to Pompeii via train, per my notes:

Getting to Pompeii on Your Own:

Pompeii opens at 8:30 am. Try to get the “express” train that departs Napoli station(s) just after 8am. It’s important to beat the heat and the crowds, especially during the summer season.

The name of the port where ships dock in Naples is Mollo Beverello. Get off the ship as early as possible and walk to the Tabachi shop across street from the port entrance. Here you should be able to purchase your Circumvesuviana day-pass train ticket here (3.60 euro when I last checked); it will also entitle you to ride the #1 tram (or #152 bus) to the train station. To catch the tram, cross to the middle of the busy street and wait for the tram where you see poles and people on the cement island on the side closer to Molo Beverello (traffic going right with the ocean at your back). When the #1 trolley or #152 bus arrives, stamp your ticket and stay on it until it makes a wide right turn (around 5-7 minutes after you board). You'll need to get off as soon as you see a large concrete modern-looking roof which is the Napoli Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station (ask anyone onboard and they'll tell you).

Get off and you might need to stamp your ticket again at the turnstile and then head to the platform for the Sorrento-bound trains. Be sure to keep your ticket as you will need it for your return.

Trains are older, no A/C, beware of pickpockets.

Morning train times from Centrale station are: 8:13; 8:24; 8:41; 9:11. The train takes about 30 minutes.

The stop for Pompeii is Pompeii Scavi – Villa dei Misteri. After exiting station, turn right and walk about 100 yards to Pompeii entrance. Entrance fee is 13 euro. Private guides are available (try to get a group tour in English); OR ask for the detailed Pompeii guide and map that is FREE and available at ticket counter. Take along this Rick Steves guided walk just in case they are out of guidebooks (it happens):

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/pompeiiwalk.htm

Return times from Pompeii: 12:37; 13:07; 13:37, etc. (Trains leave about every half hour)

For the ride back from the Pompei Scavi Circumvesuviana Train Station, take the train to the end of the line to Napoli Porta Nolana. Then exit the station and catch a #1 trolley or #152 bus outside the station (traffic going left with Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Train Station at your back). You won't need to stamp your ticket again. Stay on the tram until you reach Piazza Municipio where the huge cruise ships/Molo Beverello is on the left and the castle on the right.

Here is a link for getting the current train schedule (in Italian only but very useful:

http://servizi.vesuviana.it/orari/orarinew2/modulow3c.htm

And here is a link for a list of all the stops between Napoli and Sorrento:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/infostazione

Naples Archaeological Museum

If you are interested in visiting the Archaeological Museum following Pompeii, take the return train as described above, but get off at the Garibaldi (Centrale) station. Take bus #110 to the Naples Archeological Museum, or follow Rick Steves’ directions for the metro (or just take a taxi).

Museo Archeologico ****onale di Napoli

Piazza Museo 19, 80135 Napoli

Note: the Museum is closed on Tuesdays (unlike most Italian museums, which close on Mondays)

You mention a train to herculaneum ? We dock at Naples on the Voyager of the Seas. How do we get to herculaneum, by ourselves, from there ?

Thanks

Follow the same directions as in my post above. Herculaneum is a few stops closer than Pompeii. The stop name is Ercolano Scavi.

Originally Posted by andy59

Thanks

Andy,

Don't bother with the train to Herculaneum.There is a bus that runs from outside the cruise terminal and stops outside the ruins in Herculaneum. Buy you ticket at the newsvendor accross the road once outside the terminal. They will tell you where the bus stop is and what number it is. The ride takes about 30 mins. Validate your ticket on the bus and ask the busdriver to shout you when you get to Ercolano Scavi. If you want any more info, just ask.

Andy

And here is a link for a list of all the stops between Napoli and Sorrento:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/infostazione

The list that came up in that site is for all of the stops on all lines of the Circumvesuviana network. The stops on Line 1, between Naples and Sorrento are shown on the map on this link. To get the route map, click on the word "Show" in the red box in the section titled "Lines".

An even easier option, and faster if the timing works out for you, is to take the high speed ferry that leaves from right next to the cruise port and goes to Herculeneum.

There is only one per morning, at 8:25 AM, arriving at 8:40. There is a return at 12:20 PM, arriving at 12:40, which still leaves you the afternoon to explore around Naples.

You can see the Naples to Ercolano schedule on page 4 of the following file, and the return schedule on page 5: http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari.pdf

Archived