MSC Club adds a Fourth Category - The Black Card

Capricruiser

It seems now that msc has changed the upgrade benefit for black card holders from

"Best Category Upgrade (Black card members will receive the best category update available)" that has been applied since now and that you can still see in the msccruises.com site to

"Best cabin upgrade possible - excluding yacht club" (The advantage applies within the category that the member has booked - e.g. if you book an interior stateroom category 1 you get upgraded to an interior stateroom category 3 according to the availability) that you can see in the msccruisesusa.com site right now.

Do you think this is a correct behavior msc apply to their loyal customers that are black card members of msc club?

You will be upgraded to the best available category onboard, not only within the category booked.

From MSC USA:

BEST CATEGORY UPGRADE AVAILABLE

Black Card Members will receive the best category upgrade available. (Space permitting)

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC-Club/Memberships-Benefits/Black-Card.aspx

The best perk is without doubt the 20% cruisediscount, applies to all in the cabin, also nonmembers. That's a perk I don't see other cruiselines are even close too.

You will be upgraded to the best available category onboard, not only within the category booked.

From MSC USA:

BEST CATEGORY UPGRADE AVAILABLE

Black Card Members will receive the best category upgrade available. (Space permitting)

They probably forget to update that page, but if you look here (msc usa site, changed yesterday)

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC-Club/Memberships-Benefits/Overview.aspx

You can read what i've posted: "Best cabin upgrade possible - excluding yacht club" and then, if you mouseover the link you will read: "(The advantage applies within the category that the member has booked - e.g. if you book an interior stateroom category 1 you get upgraded to an interior stateroom category 3 according to the availability)"

I feel sorry for person who cruise one cruise line only to get upgrade one day .:rolleyes:If I cruise 10 times same line must mean I love cruise line . No cruise line will upgrade you from inside to royal suite ,really its even funny to ask. How would you feel if you pay lets say 3000pp in suite and someone paid 500$ pp and will get same suite just because he cruised 10 times before? Black card its nice toy but please people be realistic.There are enough perks on this card.

I tend to agree. To book an inside cabin with a 20% club discount and to then expect a free upgrade to a suite seems somewhat unreasonable. The black card still comes with very nice perks.

No cruise line will upgrade you from inside to royal suite ,really its even funny to ask.

Did you read this thread?

Gavagai in post #7 asked: "I mean if a level black member books an inside cabin, and there is a suite available on the ship (at the time of sailing), do the member get the suite for the same price?"

Msc Cruises Usa (Customer Care - Msc Cruises Usa) answered in post #9: "Hello Gavagai - Yes, it is correct that black card members receive the best upgrade possible; depending on availaibility of course."

And then MscLover in post #10 says: "I'm a black card member and on my last 2 cruises (Orchestra dec and jan 2012) I've booked a inside cabin (category 1) and got an upgrade for the suite (category 12)."

To book an inside cabin with a 20% club discount and to then expect a free upgrade to a suite seems somewhat unreasonable.

As you can read post #29 it's only what msc gave to their black card members.

Now, if you are North American you get instantly upgraded from inside to balcony

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC/Caribbean_Holiday_2012.aspx

or from balcony to yacht club

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC/YC_Upscale.aspx

without being msc club member (new customer)

But if you are European with black card (very old and loyal customer) and you book an inside cat 3 stateroom you can't ask to have any upgrade.

They probably forget to update that page, but if you look here (msc usa site, changed yesterday)

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC-Club/Memberships-Benefits/Overview.aspx

You can read what i've posted: "Best cabin upgrade possible - excluding yacht club" and then, if you mouseover the link you will read: "(The advantage applies within the category that the member has booked - e.g. if you book an interior stateroom category 1 you get upgraded to an interior stateroom category 3 according to the availability)"

Thanks:) Send them an e-mail and ask about this change in perks for the black membership, interesting.

Now, if you are North American you get instantly upgraded from inside to balcony

But if you are European with black card (very old and loyal customer) and you book an inside cat 3 stateroom you can't ask to have any upgrade.

The YC upgrade is a special offer for US customers, no flights to Europe included. They try to fill the YC cabins in the lowseason in the Med. They had this offer last year as well. If you are a MSC Club member the discount apply on this rates as well.

Hi Alisea,

I've seen promotions like this in Germany as well, as I've see major price fluctuations that in the end had the same effect. We've previously booked through an American travel site as the promotion there was better and had no problem at all.

In terms of the Black Card perks (somewhat unrelated to the promotions MSC is running), in the end what it comes down to is that MSC is a business that wants to grow and remain profitable.

I am sure they run constant analysis to see what effects the perks are having:

Additional bookings from loyal customers => additional revenue

Black Card holders only book inside cabins hoping for upgrades => loss of revenue, unintended consequence

I think this is legitimate for any business to adjust their offering so that it resonates well with customers while allowing the company to make a profit.

I'm aback card member and have never had a free upgrade as a result. That said on the Lirica class I usually book a suite and on the others a high category balcony. I want to be sure of getting that cabin I want, where I want and with the20% discount and often 0% single supplement, these good cabins are very affordable.

I'm not prepared to book a cabin I don't want on the often chance better cabins remain unsold and I get an upgrade.

I've seen promotions like this in Germany as well, as I've see major price fluctuations that in the end had the same effect. We've previously booked through an American travel site as the promotion there was better and had no problem at all.

Temporarily promotions and prices fluctuation are normal market tools

In terms of the Black Card perks (somewhat unrelated to the promotions MSC is running), in the end what it comes down to is that MSC is a business that wants to grow and remain profitable.

Msc club is a loyalty program: "Loyalty programs are structured marketing efforts that reward, and therefore encourage, loyal buying behavior" (from wikipedia)

I am sure they run constant analysis to see what effects the perks are having:

Additional bookings from loyal customers => additional revenue

This is the obvious goal of every loyalty program.

The question is: did you erode competitor market share promising perks with future unsustainable costs and that you can't grant to your costumers with your loyalty program? (Best category upgrade for black card)?

If the answer is yes, this may be unfair competition

The other question is: did you promise a perk with your loyalty program to your customers and now that someone start to become black card member and start to ask for it you change rules and limit it?

If the answer is yes, this may be misleading advertising

Black Card holders only book inside cabins hoping for upgrades => loss of revenue, unintended consequence

Do you think they didn't know it before? :)

I think this is legitimate for any business to adjust their offering so that it resonates well with customers while allowing the company to make a profit.

Promotions and discounts to adjust the offer (ask bid) are obviously legitimate for business (excluding dumping, cartel, ecc) and in the 2012 msc with their great discounts will grow passengers of 18% (y/y)

Loyalty programs as msc club works different and should change preserving customers acquired rights, and this is only what they write in their Msc Club T&C in the italian site:

"4.3 MSC Crociere si riserva la facoltà di modificare o integrare in tutto o in parte il presente Regolamento e il criterio di assegna-zione dei punti in qualsiasi momento e senza alcun preavviso purché vengano salvaguardati i diritti già acquisiti dagli stessi."

I'm not prepared to book a cabin I don't want on the often chance better cabins remain unsold and I get an upgrade.

Have you followed the "procedure" that Msc Lover gave you in february 2012? (post #12 of this thread)

Do you think they didn't know it before? :)

My guess would be that they underestimated this effect. When their analysis showed that more Black Card members than estimated booked a lower category hoping for an upgrade, that's when they adjusted the program.

I would see it as a sign of poor research before implementing the program as the adjustment after the fact obviously alienates loyal customers.

Nevertheless, they reverve the right to adjust the terms of the program, so I still think it's legitimate.

My guess would be that they underestimated this effect. When their analysis showed that more Black Card members than estimated booked a lower category hoping for an upgrade, that's when they adjusted the program.

This is your guess.

Amomondo (black card member) in post #4 said "me and 8 officers" regarding the "dinner with the captain" perk, this means that in a wole ship with 3000 people there was 1 customer with black card (0,03%), and he has never received a cabin upgrade in all his cruises.

This is an evidence.

Do you really think they understimate the effect?

Nevertheless, they reverve the right to adjust the terms of the program, so I still think it's legitimate.

Sure, they have the right to adjust the program, but as i told in post #35 they should preserve customers acquired rights.

Sure, they have the right to adjust the program, but as i told in post #35 they should preserve customers acquired rights.

I agree with you, that this is not ideal as it alienates loyal customers.

I guess my main reason for being an MSC return customer is that I like their offering at this point in time and not because I'm working towards the next club level. I can see though why someone who finally achieved the Black Card status would be disappointent to see some of the perks removed.

Hi Cruise Critic friends-

The upgrade given for our Black card members is up to a 2 category upgrade, within the category booked and does exclude Yacht Club. You can click on the following for the most up to date benefits.

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Images/Privileges_tcm12-29737.pdf

HAPPY SAILINGS!

Have you followed the "procedure" that Msc Lover gave you in february 2012? (post #12 of this thread)

No because that is not how it works booking with the UK office. I did contact them and speak to them though. MSC Lover is not resident in the UK. Different t&cs and processes apply depending on which country you book through.

The perks in the loyalty programme have changed whilst I've been a member. They do with others too. I don't think it's misleading. Companies don't commit to a programme staying the same forever. I personally miss the free laundry service but some of the others changes are fine with me.

This is your guess.

Amomondo (black card member) in post #4 said "me and 8 officers" regarding the "dinner with the captain" perk, this means that in a wole ship with 3000 people there was 1 customer with black card (0,03%), and he has never received a cabin upgrade in all his cruises.

This is an evidence.

Do you really think they understimate the effect?

To clarify, on that particular cruise, it was the Melody which had only around 1,000 passengers onboard and the new status had only come out a few weeks previous to that. I was still the only passenger on that cruise, so yes percentage very small. However as a solo female, quite enjoyed all the attention!

On my last cruise there were around 20 black card members and a lot of Gold on the brink, so to speak.

I've only booked 3 cruises since they introduced the black card. On my last cruise I was booked in the highest category already, so they could hardly upgrade me. On the 2 others the second highest, so technically I could have been upgraded to a suite . On the Musica class there are only 22 of them. There is no way to know if I didn't get upgraded because there wasn't a better cabin available or not. From previous cruises, it can be tricky to get a suite though as they tend to sell out quickly.

I do appreciate that you are not happy at what you see as a dilution in a perk. It was never guaranteed and always depended on better being available.

Hi Cruise Critic friends-

The upgrade given for our Black card members is up to a 2 category upgrade, within the category booked and does exclude Yacht Club.

If you book a balcony in a fantasia class the upgrade could be of 5 categories, from cat 6 to 11 and not only 2.

Can you tell us why msc has strongly limited now this black card perk?

Please keep in mind that our post earlier concerning the upgrade is the USA policy. Please refer to your local MSC office for the benefits of the MSC Club. !

Can you please tell us to wich countries msc Apply the msc club T&C that you Can read here

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/MSC-Club/Memberships-Benefits/Overview.aspx

(best upgrade available for black card members)

Don't you think loyalty programs benefits should be the same for every customer indipendently from his citizenSHIP? :)

Alisea,

Each MSC office acts as an individual Sales & Marketing office for their region. As you know, the laws in each country are different; therefore, it causes changes to promotions, programs, etc.

The MSC Club program was modified at the beginning of this year. Several aspects of the membership did change unfortunately; however, we are happy to document your suggestions for possible future changes.

Thank you,

MSC Cruises USA

Msc Cruises Usa, thanks for your answers.

Each MSC office acts as an individual Sales & Marketing office for their region.

Ok, so please tell us why Msc Usa Sales & Marketing office has decided to restrict msc black card perks for his region?

(i.e. other countries didn't, as you can see in the .ar and in the .mx or in the .com msc web site that we don't know to wich region apply)

As you know, the laws in each country are different; therefore, it causes changes to promotions, programs, etc.

I'm sorry, i don't know u.s. laws, but... can you please tell us wich american law has caused msc club loyalty program changes for black card members? :)

The MSC Club program was modified at the beginning of this year. Several aspects of the membership did change unfortunately;

Can you tell us the others several aspects of perks regarding black card membership that has changed this year?

And please, if you like, give us an answer to question i wrote in post #45, too

Alisea,

This revision has been made by the USA office. The laws did not cause the change; however, each office acts differently due to the laws in their country. The upgrade has been revised based on history of our guests. At this time there have been no further modifications to the black card status. As stated previously, each office is an individual sales & marketing office. Guests should contact their local MSC office for any information further on benefits for the MSC Club.

Regards,

MSC Cruises USA

I'm a black card member and on my last cruise in June I didn't get an upgrade, mainly because all the cabins were fully booked, thus no upgrade possible. No problem. However now that the number of black card holders is on the rise, certain perks may be unobtainable or difficult for the on-board staff to honor. One is the dinner with the captain since these are programmed only on gala nights and obviously the table can seat only so many people. If there is a large number of black cards on board, not everyone will receive an invite. For info, I didn't get an invitation either. Ho hum...

This revision has been made by the USA office. The laws did not cause the change; however, each office acts differently due to the laws in their country. The upgrade has been revised based on history of our guests.

So, summarizing, before you push your customers to do more cruises with you collecting more msc club points, illuding them that when they will reach black card they will have a perk and then, when guests start to ask for it you limit it?

At this time there have been no further modifications to the black card status. As stated previously, each office is an individual sales & marketing office. Guests should contact their local MSC office for any information further on benefits for the MSC Club.

Can you please tell us to wich countries apply the msc club T&C that you can read in the .com site (best upgrade available for black card members) so guest can book there? Or guests must book only from their countries? :)

Archived