MSC Club adds a Fourth Category - The Black Card

Capricruiser

For years now MSC has kind of followed in the footsteps of their older cousin, Costa, with ship design, cabin amenities, drinks packages, etc., etc. Now since the Costa Club last year added a super level to their member categories called Gold Pearl with lots of perks beyond what the formerly highest level had (Pearl), MSC has decided to follow suit.

At present MSC Club members earn one point for every cruise night and one point for every €200 spent aboard (excursions, bar tabs, purchases in shops, spa charges, etc.) and have nice perks such as cruise and excursion discounts ranging from 5 to 10% depending on the member's level, free laundry (10 pieces), internet discounts, fruit bowl, dinner in speciality restaurant, etc. For example, if a member does a standard 7 night cruise and spends say €300 aboard, he will have earned 10 points toward the next level (Basic - 0 to 21 points; Silver - 21 to 41 points, and Gold - over 42 points.

Now we have the "Black Card" which will require 100 points - that's a lot of cruising and spending! The advantage will be super discounts: A whopping 20% off for members' future cruise fares and shore excursions. We'll even get a private dinner with the Captain (wowee!) With my upcoming Poesia cruise completed I'll have somewhere between 50 and 60 points and will finally have arrived at the once lofty gold status. Now I'll have to cruise much more so I can get that dinner with the Captain:D

More details are on the MSC website.

For years now MSC has kind of followed in the footsteps of their older cousin, Costa, with ship design, cabin amenities, drinks packages, etc., etc. Now since the Costa Club last year added a super level to their member categories called Gold Pearl with lots of perks beyond what the formerly highest level had (Pearl), MSC has decided to follow suit.

At present MSC Club members earn one point for every cruise night and one point for every €200 spent aboard (excursions, bar tabs, purchases in shops, spa charges, etc.) and have nice perks such as cruise and excursion discounts ranging from 5 to 10% depending on the member's level, free laundry (10 pieces), internet discounts, fruit bowl, dinner in speciality restaurant, etc. For example, if a member does a standard 7 night cruise and spends say €300 aboard, he will have earned 10 points toward the next level (Basic - 0 to 21 points; Silver - 21 to 41 points, and Gold - over 42 points.

Now we have the "Black Card" which will require 100 points - that's a lot of cruising and spending! The advantage will be super discounts: A whopping 20% off for members' future cruise fares and shore excursions. We'll even get a private dinner with the Captain (wowee!) With my upcoming Poesia cruise completed I'll have somewhere between 50 and 60 points and will finally have arrived at the once lofty gold status. Now I'll have to cruise much more so I can get that dinner with the Captain:D

More details are on the MSC website.

WooHoo - i already qualify. I've got over 100 in cruise nights alone - no idea how much from onboard spend but an awful lot over 10 cruises.

Just hope my new card will arrive before my next cruise on 3rd July.

• 3 months later...
I just saw the new card online, I think there will we people who go for it, simply for the Captain's Table.

having experienced it on my last cruise, it was very nice. me and 8 officers, all very formal and full of old fashioned etiquette, which I enjoyed. Don't think this would appeal to everyone though especially those not keen on formality.

I think they took away the free laundry. Wished they may have done away with it on the lowest level card but kept it at the higher ones, at least the gold and black.... it was a nice perk...but gone!

Indeed it was Cam and one that I almost always used. Still the chocolate dipped strawberries and bottle of bubbly go down a treat!

• 1 year later...

I saw that one of the benefits with the black level is something along the line of upgrade to best available cabin. Do I interpret that correctly? I mean if a level black member books an inside cabin, and there is a suite available on the ship (at the time of sailing), do the member get the suite for the same price?

I saw that one of the benefits with the black level is something along the line of upgrade to best available cabin. Do I interpret that correctly? I mean if a level black member books an inside cabin, and there is a suite available on the ship (at the time of sailing), do the member get the suite for the same price?

It does say that about the upgrades but I can't say how it works. I've never had one on the 3 cruises that I've had since reaching black card status. That said, I was in a high category cabin on each in any case. I certainly won't be getting one on my next cruise as the only cabin that would be an upgrade would be a suite and they are all already sold out.

I'm a black card member and on my last 2 cruises (Orchestra dec and jan 2012) I've booked a inside cabin (category 1) and got an upgrade for the suite (category 12). Well, they didn't give me the upgrade instantly, I had to call my agency, send them a print screen of the benefits I took from the site and then they gave me the upgrade... a little complicated but it was worth doing this. Now i'm booked from Fantasia on november and I asked for an upgrade for the Yatch Club... they didn't give me that but I got an upgrande from inside (1) to MSC Aurea Spa cabin on deck 10... if you have some problems with your upgrades let me know and I'll be happy to share with you my "procedure" :)

I'm a black card member and on my last 2 cruises (Orchestra dec and jan 2012) I've booked a inside cabin (category 1) and got an upgrade for the suite (category 12). Well, they didn't give me the upgrade instantly, I had to call my agency, send them a print screen of the benefits I took from the site and then they gave me the upgrade... a little complicated but it was worth doing this. Now i'm booked from Fantasia on november and I asked for an upgrade for the Yatch Club... they didn't give me that but I got an upgrande from inside (1) to MSC Aurea Spa cabin on deck 10... if you have some problems with your upgrades let me know and I'll be happy to share with you my "procedure" :)

Now that could be where I'm going wrong, I don't ask!

Please share your 'procedure', it may just work for me too, although I've not got your impressive number of voyages with them. I'd be slightly nervousnof booking an inside and then hoping for an upgrade and being stuck with the inside.

Now that could be where I'm going wrong, I don't ask!

Please share your 'procedure', it may just work for me too, although I've not got your impressive number of voyages with them. I'd be slightly nervousnof booking an inside and then hoping for an upgrade and being stuck with the inside.

AmoMondo,

First I always take a printscreen of the benefits for MSC Club Black membres available on the site, mainly the part that says "The best upgrade available". Then, my travel agent check what is the best category available and send to MSC this category and my last bookings (number, emails confirming upgrade, etc) where I got upgrade from inside cabin to suite (cat. 12 in Orchestra) and they always give me the upgrade.

I had some problems with the upgrade on Fantasia but I've done this process and after some days discussing with MSC in Brazil they finally gave me my upgrade to MSC Aurea Spa. I didn't want to discuss more but if I wanted, maybe I could get an upgrade to the Yatch Club as on the website they say we get the best upgrade available.

I hope it helps, please let me know :)

It's hard to believe we now see someone with more MSC cruises than AmoMondo! Msclover, I'm pleased to see all your Melody cruises. She's a fine little ship and I thoroughally enjoyed my B2B cruise on her this past spring.

Amo, with my Fantasia cruise behind me I now have 101 MSC Club points and will expect to receive my Black Card in the mail in a couple weeks. The best cabin I was able to get for my next cruise on the Magnifica in June was an obstructed view outside - maybe they'll upgrade me to a balcony if one becomes available?

It's hard to believe we now see someone with more MSC cruises than AmoMondo! Msclover, I'm pleased to see all your Melody cruises. She's a fine little ship and I thoroughally enjoyed my B2B cruise on her this past spring.

Amo, with my Fantasia cruise behind me I now have 101 MSC Club points and will expect to receive my Black Card in the mail in a couple weeks. The best cabin I was able to get for my next cruise on the Magnifica in June was an obstructed view outside - maybe they'll upgrade me to a balcony if one becomes available?

You can but hope Chuck, or maybe you should ask as MSCLover recommends.

I had to wait ages for my Black Card to arrive as the UK office didn't stock them, so it had to come from Naples. Had a Melody cruise due and didnt want to miss out on my additional perks, so had to make do with a virtual one for a bit...emailed picture thatnI had to print off and take with me! When the real one eventually arrived it did Did in a swanky box though! Being based in Capri, shouldn't have so long tom wait.

In thenUK they're currentlyndoingnan upgrade deal that if you buy a cat 13 suite on Fantasia or Splendida they give you a YC cabin. ThinkmI may call them and see if I can get an upgrade from a. 10 or 11

AmoMondo,

First I always take a printscreen of the benefits for MSC Club Black membres available on the site, mainly the part that says "The best upgrade available". Then, my travel agent check what is the best category available and send to MSC this category and my last bookings (number, emails confirming upgrade, etc) where I got upgrade from inside cabin to suite (cat. 12 in Orchestra) and they always give me the upgrade.

I had some problems with the upgrade on Fantasia but I've done this process and after some days discussing with MSC in Brazil they finally gave me my upgrade to MSC Aurea Spa. I didn't want to discuss more but if I wanted, maybe I could get an upgrade to the Yatch Club as on the website they say we get the best upgrade available.

I hope it helps, please let me know :)

So when do you ask for the upgrade? If you book the cruise early, do you get upgraded to the best cabin available at that time, or do you have to wait until just before departure.

I am just curious about this. I myself am not even a MSC Club member yet. :o

As of yesterday MSC has "promoted" me to Black Card status thanks to the 17 points I accumulated with my Fantasia cruise earlier this month. The added perks will be nice. I don't really care too much about the dinner with the captain, but a cabin upgrade would certainly be appreciated!

So when do you ask for the upgrade? If you book the cruise early, do you get upgraded to the best cabin available at that time, or do you have to wait until just before departure.

I am just curious about this. I myself am not even a MSC Club member yet. :o

Gavagai!

As soon as I pay the cruise I ask my travel agent to check what's the best category available and we send a print screen to the MSC Reservation Department with the other documents/print screens I said before.

Capricruiser,

ask your travel agent to check what is the best category available and ask her to send it to the MSC Office to claim your upgrade for the best category available. And remember to send the print screen of the MSC Club Black Members benefits available on the website, they will have to give you the upgrade :)

No problem. My TA and I have direct contact with an official at MSC headquarters who has always resolved my questions and problems. He's already working on the upgrade for my next cruise but unfortunately the ship is 99.9% full. We're waiting for a possible cancellation.

• 2 months later...

If you buy an all inclusive drink package that you pay for before your cruise, does it count toward the MSC club points that you get for money spend onboard?

Also, how do you all get your MSC club cards? I am silver, I never got one when I was classic and did not get one when I got silver after my last cruise.

Lois

If you buy an all inclusive drink package that you pay for before your cruise, does it count toward the MSC club points that you get for money spend onboard?

Also, how do you all get your MSC club cards? I am silver, I never got one when I was classic and did not get one when I got silver after my last cruise.

Lois

It's just onboard spend and the number of nights of the cruise that accrue points. You don't get them on pre cruise purchases, as far as I'm aware.

My cards just get posted to me. Got a new one each time I moved up a category, although the last one took a while to show up. Contact your local MSC office to chase it up. That said, the actual card doesn't matter, it's having the MSC Club number that gets you all the various perks.

• 3 months later...

Yes, it is correct that black card members receive the best upgrade possible; depending on availaibility of course.

It seems now that msc has changed the upgrade benefit for black card holders from

"Best Category Upgrade (Black card members will receive the best category update available)" that has been applied since now and that you can still see in the msccruises.com site to

"Best cabin upgrade possible - excluding yacht club" (The advantage applies within the category that the member has booked - e.g. if you book an interior stateroom category 1 you get upgraded to an interior stateroom category 3 according to the availability) that you can see in the msccruisesusa.com site right now.

Do you think this is a correct behavior msc apply to their loyal customers that are black card members of msc club?

It seems now that msc has changed the upgrade benefit for black card holders from

"Best Category Upgrade (Black card members will receive the best category update available)" that has been applied since now and that you can still see in the msccruises.com site to

"Best cabin upgrade possible - excluding yacht club" (The advantage applies within the category that the member has booked - e.g. if you book an interior stateroom category 1 you get upgraded to an interior stateroom category 3 according to the availability) that you can see in the msccruisesusa.com site right now.

Do you think this is a correct behavior msc apply to their loyal customers that are black card members of msc club?

Yes,its correct behavior.It would be very funny if someone buy inside and get yacht club upgrade. That would be very unfair for people who bought yaht club

Yes,its correct behavior.It would be very funny if someone buy inside and get yacht club upgrade. That would be very unfair for people who bought yaht club

If someone has the msc black card means that he has sailed about 10 cruises with them.

It's not very funny if someone chose and sails only with msc for years and years collecting msc club points to get the black card, dreaming for a real upgrade and then discover that msc change suddenly their terms and conditions for msc club.

If someone has the msc black card means that he has sailed about 10 cruises with them.

It's not very funny if someone chose and sails only with msc for years and years collecting msc club points to get the black card, dreaming for a real upgrade and then discover that msc change suddenly their terms and conditions for msc club.

I feel sorry for person who cruise one cruise line only to get upgrade one day .:rolleyes:If I cruise 10 times same line must mean I love cruise line . No cruise line will upgrade you from inside to royal suite ,really its even funny to ask. How would you feel if you pay lets say 3000pp in suite and someone paid 500$ pp and will get same suite just because he cruised 10 times before? Black card its nice toy but please people be realistic.There are enough perks on this card.

Archived