alternatives to ship excursions

mikab

i have only been on one previous cruise and at each port there were other tour companies waiting and you could easily jump on one of their tours without pre booking. they were often much cheaper then the ships tours and basically the same itineraries. does anyone knows if this option would be available at ports such as athens and olympia?

thanks.

Suggest you scroll down through the titles on this board or even use the "search" function. There are many, many threads already discussing this issue.

I will tell you there were many taxi drivers at Olympia and we just shared a cab with another couple to get to the sites. Much less expensive than a ship's excursion.

After many cruises all over the world, and several to Athens, we have pretty much learned to avoid the taxis sitting at the dock. They are usually the least effective and least interesting way to tour, although they may sometimes be the least expensive if the driver is honest.

In many ports we take the ship's excursions. For example in Olympia we found that the Olympia and Zorba trip was really great. Not only did we get the benefit of an experienced guide at the ancient site, we had a great time in the restaurant with the dancing! Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

On other occasions, especially if there is something we want to do that is "off the beaten path" or we need a slower than usual pace, we will book with a recommended driver from the many posts on this board. For Athens I would sincerely suggest you book with GreekTaxi and have either Paul or Nick take care of you. They will do a wonderful job. Nick was our guide in Nafplion and you can see that at the site above also.

Just getting off the ship and grabbing a cab has worked well for us on perhaps two occasions, badly on three occasions. We don't do it any more except in rare special instances.

Have a GREAT cruise!

After many cruises all over the world, and several to Athens, we have pretty much learned to avoid the taxis sitting at the dock. They are usually the least effective and least interesting way to tour, although they may sometimes be the least expensive if the driver is honest. Just getting off the ship and grabbing a cab has worked well for us on perhaps two occasions, badly on three occasions. We don't do it any more except in rare special instances. Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike correctly summarizes that there is no one perfect answer to your question. There are many various pro-con factors to ship tours, private tours/guides and "on your own". At times, the "cheapest" gives you back what you paid . . . or less. Or more, in disappointment. You were there, but didn't understand what you were seeing and what you missed. On your own requires much more research and prep by you in advance.

As noted, FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see items on these various places. SECOND, do a search on this board by each city/port and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop.

Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions, after doing your basic research. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking.

Also grab, maybe from your library or a transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. These resources can you help better figure out your priorities for what you want to do and see.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Welcome to CC,

Each country, culture and ports are very different. What may work well in one country could be a horrible choice in another for any of numbers reasons.

Athens is a port where there is a reputation that the taxi drivers are less than honest. Yet I've also read of people who have had great success scoring a great driver and a cheap all day tour. Clearly there is a good business in this as the Cruise ship tours are marked up 50% to line their pockets. As such you can research and find many a private operator in Europe with a good reputation that will provide you a private car with an experience IMHO far better than the cruise ship big bus tours with 40-50 of your newest friends. A lot comes down to how you view and desire your port experience to go. If you are fit Athens is actually a port that is possible to DIY unlike some in Italy. As it appear you are new, research here and you can find a lot of threads where it will become obvious if DIY, private or the much more limited and expensive ship tour is for you.

In my personal situation I'd have DIY with a hike to the metro for me and my kids, but when I visited I was a party of 11 spanning 7 decades so we found the cost and efficiency of a private AC van just to sweet to not do.

Good luck!

i have only been on one previous cruise and at each port there were other tour companies waiting and you could easily jump on one of their tours without pre booking. they were often much cheaper then the ships tours and basically the same itineraries. does anyone knows if this option would be available at ports such as athens and olympia?

thanks.

In many ports we take the ship's excursions. For example in Olympia we found that the Olympia and Zorba trip was really great. Not only did we get the benefit of an experienced guide at the ancient site, we had a great time in the restaurant with the dancing! Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

I'll second Mike's opinion of the Olympia and Zorba ship excursion. It's been five years since we went on that excursion and we still like looking at the video of the dancing. It's one of our favorite memories of any place in Greece.

We had a wonderful spur of the moment taxi tour in Rhodes. But then we had one really bad tour that left us standing along a deserted road miles from town with a herd of goats! (Caribbean) It pays to plan ahead and check reviews.

After many cruises all over the world, and several to Athens, we have pretty much learned to avoid the taxis sitting at the dock. They are usually the least effective and least interesting way to tour, although they may sometimes be the least expensive if the driver is honest.

On other occasions, especially if there is something we want to do that is "off the beaten path" or we need a slower than usual pace, we will book with a recommended driver from the many posts on this board. For Athens I would sincerely suggest you book with GreekTaxi and have either Paul or Nick take care of you. They will do a wonderful job. Nick was our guide in Nafplion and you can see that at the site above also.

Just getting off the ship and grabbing a cab has worked well for us on perhaps two occasions, badly on three occasions. We don't do it any more except in rare special instances.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I wold second the advice on Nick at Greek Taxi. We just used them to tour Athens and he was fun, funny, knowledgeable. He was right there when we docked, took us to places a big tour group could never do, was determined to show us everything, even the waterfront yachts as we went back to the ship. Very professional...he made our trip to Athens.

WELCOME

As suggested above, you need to do some basic research first.

IF YOU ARE LOGGED ON, you can SEARCH THIS FORUM (on any forum, choose appropriate geographical board)with eg Athens and all previous posts containing that/those words will appear in the results. It is an excellent way of picking up lots of info as the same questions are frequently asked and not everyone wants to repeat the info over and over. This way, you can read all previous replies and usually you get far more info than you ever thought you would!

Also go to the PORTS section of cruisecritic and again choose the geographical area and port name. Not all are listed but many are. Here you will find info on what to expect at many ports and this is very helpful.

cruisecritic is a huge site. To get the best from it, initially it is definitely worth spending a fair amount of time learning all the ins and outs. And although it is not always necessary to be logged on, some areas of the site only work IF YOU ARE LOGGED ON.

Archived