Ship excursions

Some posters said the ship tours are a lot more expensive than touring on your own. A private tour by the ship's staff, however, seems like a no-brainer to me: I can't drive and English is the only language I can understand, plus a driver would guarantee I get back to the ship on time and never get lost. Would it make sense to do this and a group tour in every port or should I go on my own in some where English is widely spoken and the attractions are all within walking distance? I do not know my itinerary yet, but will go in 2012 to the Western Mediterranean on Crystal Serenity.

Some posters said the ship tours are a lot more expensive than touring on your own. A private tour by the ship's staff, however, seems like a no-brainer to me: I can't drive and English is the only language I can understand, plus a driver would guarantee I get back to the ship on time and never get lost. Would it make sense to do this and a group tour in every port or should I go on my own in some where English is widely spoken and the attractions are all within walking distance? I do not know my itinerary yet, but will go in 2012 to the Western Mediterranean on Crystal Serenity.

I don't know about Crystal. But usually when ship excursions are being discussed, these are excursions with private operators that are purchased by passengers through the cruiseline. I haven't heard of tours actually given by members of the ship's staff.

It does make sense to book a tour purchased through the cruiseline or through a responsible operator (that has been recommended by a good source) if you are concerned about language difficulties.

With my family, I'm the major researcher of ports, and generally we just go out on our own or book a ship sponsored tour. But then the ports we've gone to haven't involved a foreign language (other than Spanish, which both of us have studied). And in many ports, you'll find that those involved in the tourism trade will often have a decent command of English.

You should read thru some of the threads on the European boards. In many ports there is a very vibrant offerings of private vendors and they are good. We had private drivers in Athens, Rome, Naples, Florence/Pisa, Kusadasi, Istanbul. The guide or the driver spoke english very well. Unlike many Americans most Europeans speak 2 and often 3 languages and as for the guides their bread and butter is good experience for their customers.

Nothing ruins ones good business than a reputation for customers missing the boat. Search thru many of the recommend private services If a reader here used them and missed the boat you'd sure hear it! very very bad for business. The missing the boat or that the boat will wait for cruise is an oversold marketing angle to keep the passengers captive and make more money for the cruises. I think in some ports it does make sense to do ship but in most major Europea I think you should feel comfortable with an independent as long as they have good references.

The private car from the ships run 2x what the operators charge for exaclty the same service. But it is your money if going with the ship makes you feel a bit secure that is insurance enough for some, but I really don't think you are getting much. What you are getting is a local guide/driver who the ship has used before and for using ship referral they take a huge cut, I hear from 30-50%, that is why it is more expensive. Pick a private tour and you save that.

Good luck,

Like the Chick, I think perhaps you're confusing organisers of roll-call groups with ships' crews.

You've got 3 basic choices:

Ship-sponsored excursions.

Saves you from bothering to research/organise anything yourself, you have an easy & viable route to recompense if the excursion is below a satisfactory standard, the ship will wait if one of its tour groups is delayed & would miss the sailing (a very over-played advantage), you don't lose any money if the ship's itinerary is changed so that the port is cancelled. Priority disembarkation at ports where you go ashore by tender - can be a deciding factor, as waiting in line for a tender can steal a huge chunk of your day.Good for those who are frail/elderly/lacking in confidence, and perhaps for newbie cruisers. Recommended even for seasoned travellers in some "difficult" countries or where the attractions are several hours from the port & transport is unreliable. Thinking of places like mainland Venezuela or parts of Egypt.

But expensive (varies, but mebbe 50% higher than a private tour and 300% - yes, three hundred percent - higher than DIY). You are part of the herd. You travel at the speed of the slowest, that can include things like waiting for ladies waiting in line for inadequate restrooms. You follow their itinerary & timescale - which may mean missing or being rushed at places you'd like to spend time, and wasting time at places which don't interest you - and unforgiveably that can include places where the ship earns commission on pax' purchases, like jewelley workshops. Lots of similar disadvantages associated with the herd mentality.

Private tours.

A compromise favoured by many Americans, usually cheaper than ship's tours. You pre-book a tour - usually over the internet - with a local tour operator. You go where & when you choose, at your pace, much more comfortably & with your own guide. Missing your sailing is extremely unlikely, as others have posted.

Downsides: you need to research & pre-book, you may have to pay up-front & your money is at risk - but you can safeguard by using recommendations incl these forums, paying by CREDIT card etc. Be sure that you can cancel with little or no penalty if the ship's itinerary changes.

(Shared) private tours. Usually linking up with others such as on these forums. A van of say four couples is way cheaper than just the two of you, there's a degree of "safety in numbers" & the company is usually good fun. You may have to pay your share up-front to a stranger, you will be sharing with strangers who may not be your type, you will have to make itinerary compromises with those with whom you share, esp the organiser.

Do It Yourself

Preferred by Brits & Aussies & some Americans, and usually the cheapest of the lot, often hugely cheaper. You strike out on your own, or with others that you've met aboard or even at the quayside. By train, bus, taxi/van (plenty at the quayside), ferry, or a combination. Much more of an adventure.

But may need a lot of research (re public transport etc), no "guide", though taxi/van drivers are usually very friendly & knowledgeable, and guides/audioguides at many destinations

Often needs local currency, but not where you're likely to go in the Caribean. More risk to personal safety in "difficult" countries, such as Jamaica. Sometimes a language barrier, but not in the Caribbean. More risk of missing the sailing, though common sense, allowing a little leeway, not getting drunk, and not confusing local time with ship's time will virtually eliminate the risk.

Exceptions

Most sights of interest can be visited by any of these means.

But some activities, such as river-tubing or tree-canopy trams or the St Kitts tourist train or mixed-transport tours can only be done by ship's excursion. And most other activities, such as swimming with dolphins, catamaran trips, either have to be pre-booked or will waste valuable time trying - and often failing - to organise them when you arrive at the quayside. For activities, ship's over-priced offerings are usually the best bet, esp for a newbie.

In some countries, visas are needed & the time & cost of organising visas means its better to be on a ship's group visa (or in some places like St Petersburgh - the Russian one, not the one in Florida :D - a local private tour operator's group visa). Applies to very few countries. & none that Iknow of in the Caribbean.

Western Caribbean

Very very easy. No language problem, USD accepted everywhere you're likely to go. DIY is very easy in most places, most places are safe & friendly, avoid public transport but plenty of taxis/vans and fellow-cruisers to share with at the quayside, willing to replicate ship's tours or vary them to suit you at less than half the cost of ship's tours and way way more fun.

Research the ports, mix up your excursions a little to suit the circumstances & what you want - some sightseeing, some activities, mebbe a ship's tour here, a couple of DIY suck-it-and-see taxi/van tours there, mebbe a private tour for a place that really grabs you.

Have fun choosin', have fun cruisin'

John Bull

Sorry, wrong glasses :D

And too late to edit my post.

Re Western Mediterranean :rolleyes: rather than Caribbean:

Language not much of a problem, those involved in tourism speak english and if you have a problem, say buying a rail ticket, there's usually someone around who speaks english.

Currency. USD not widly accepted, in most places you'll need euros. But your credit card accepted in larger establishments/for larger transactions like a meal.

Public transport is excellent. Cheap, reliable, frequent, comfortable. Taxi charges vary from port to port.

No visa requirements.

JB

Just to address one point the poster asked about -- language.

I speak a bit of Italian and that's it. Oh, I can say hello, thanks, please, and a few other words in Spanish and French, but no more than that. I have widely traveled in most European countries and have never had a problem. Signage in many places is given in English if you look for it. (Obviously it's not going to be the most prominent.) ATMs almost universally have an English option.

As others have said, people in most all European countries speak some English in areas tourists are likely to frequent -- hotels, restaurants near tourist areas, shops, taxi drivers, public transportation, etc. However, do not expect them to be fluent. I have never had a problem communicating; maybe I'm just better at filling in the blanks and understanding imperfect English speakers than some. Being polite, patient, and at least attempting a word or two in their language usually yields excellent results.

Be aware, though, that the culture in Europe is different from the US. People like shopkeepers, cashiers, ticket agents, hotel clerks and the like pride themselves on their efficiency but they are not necessarily friendly or overly familiar like they might be in the US. They are more reserved. It has nothing to do with snobbery or not liking Americans, or not being friendly. It's just their culture that this is how professionals behave at work. I mention this only because I've read a lot of reviews where people say the waiter, desk clerk, etc wasn't very friendly.

not much of a problem in europe

but if you run into them just use the Alberta Translator

just bang the persons head on the table til they understand English

seriously, little bit of research and you do stuff on your own..see what you want...no herd..much cheaper and a tour becomes an adventure

We are using independent tours more and more, we spend a lot of time on CC and Trip Advisor ensuring that the operator comes highly regarded before booking. We have found that the independent operator provides a much better tour and at better price. Having said all that, there are developing nations where we would certainly want to book a ship's excursion.

Having done the W. Med, I find everything is easily done myself. If I take my family to New York and then want to see the Empire State Building, Wqll Street and a Broadway play, I don't hire a driver and guide to do this. I arrange it all myself. That's what we did in Europe. We took trains, taxis, hydrofoils to get to the places we wanted to see. Public transportation is used so much more by Europeans than Americans. Its easy, cheap and somewhat dependable. The money you would save doing everything yourself verses a ship's tour or even a private guide/car tour, you could take another Caribbean cruise later in the year.

Our strategy is this:

We research the ports to see what highlights each one has to offer. Then we check out the ship based excursions and see what interests us. If we see something we like, we research other private tours that are similar and compare prices. If there is a significant difference in price we will go with the private tour. If we suspect that the private tour may provide a more intimate experience (such as 12 people vs. 100 people, as some cruise ship excursions tend to be), we go with the private tour. If the port is considered dangerous, or we have safety concerns, we book with the cruise line. If there are time restraints, we book with the cruise line. If we are tendered we usually try to book something with the cruise line to assure no timing problems.

That is our strategy and we have never been disappointed with any of our choices.

FYI, I believe the OP is a woman solo cruiser, which makes things very different than all you married folks out there. We have a different set of safety rules that we must follow when touring alone, and unless you have a few cruises under your belt as a solo, trying to find reputable private guides can be daunting. As a solo woman cruiser, I either take the ship's tour or I have my TA arrange a private car and English speaking driver for me. Being disabled, sometimes a private car is the best way for me to go, regardless of price. I have a problem climbing into those tour buses and even those vans that you can hire for a group can be impossible for me. So a nice, easy to negotiate Mercedes works for me.

One thing to be aware of is, private car and driver tours, while convenient and you can tailor your own itinerary, can be very expensive and much more than the ship's tour. For example, Crystal wanted $430 for a full day tour to Berlin from Warnemunde. I looked into hiring a private car and driver, for 3 hours less than the ship's tour, making essentially the same tourist stops, and the cheapest I could find was $1100. In Hong Kong, Crystal had a very nice tour of Kowloon, Aberdeen, Central and Victoria Peak for a very decent price. A private car and driver ran me twice the price of Crystal's tour.

I'm not saying all ship's tours are cheaper than going it alone, but you have to know what you're doing, compare prices and make absolutely sure you hire from a company that won't rip you off.

FYI, I believe the OP is a woman solo cruiser, which makes things very different than all you married folks out there. We have a different set of safety rules that we must follow when touring alone, and unless you have a few cruises under your belt as a solo, trying to find reputable private guides can be daunting. As a solo woman cruiser, I either take the ship's tour or I have my TA arrange a private car and English speaking driver for me. Being disabled, sometimes a private car is the best way for me to go, regardless of price. I have a problem climbing into those tour buses and even those vans that you can hire for a group can be impossible for me. So a nice, easy to negotiate Mercedes works for me.

One thing to be aware of is, private car and driver tours, while convenient and you can tailor your own itinerary, can be very expensive and much more than the ship's tour. For example, Crystal wanted $430 for a full day tour to Berlin from Warnemunde. I looked into hiring a private car and driver, for 3 hours less than the ship's tour, making essentially the same tourist stops, and the cheapest I could find was $1100. In Hong Kong, Crystal had a very nice tour of Kowloon, Aberdeen, Central and Victoria Peak for a very decent price. A private car and driver ran me twice the price of Crystal's tour.

I'm not saying all ship's tours are cheaper than going it alone, but you have to know what you're doing, compare prices and make absolutely sure you hire from a company that won't rip you off.

I am a solo woman traveler.....:confused:

I have never had a problem traveling on my own, including DIY with public transport, private tours, and occasional ship tours (however these are usually my last resort....)

I understand that you have some other issues that might influence your choice, but to suggest that women travelers in general cannot arrange private tours or DIY isn't necessarily true.

The private car from the ships run 2x what the operators charge for exaclty the same service. But it is your money if going with the ship makes you feel a bit secure that is insurance enough for some, but I really don't think you are getting much. What you are getting is a local guide/driver who the ship has used before and for using ship referral they take a huge cut, I hear from 30-50%, that is why it is more expensive. Pick a private tour and you save that.

Chip, who are the "operators" you refer to here? What do you mean by "huge cut" for a referred guide/driver?

As far as I am concerned, "private tour" means any tour that is just me and a guide, no matter how I found the driver. I just assumed a ship employee did it because cruise line websites never say they are subcontractors.

John Bull, except for the seas mixup, you had the best post.

Chip, who are the "operators" you refer to here? What do you mean by "huge cut" for a referred guide/driver?

As far as I am concerned, "private tour" means any tour that is just me and a guide, no matter how I found the driver. I just assumed a ship employee did it because cruise line websites never say they are subcontractors.

John Bull, except for the seas mixup, you had the best post.

Cruiselines hire private companies to run their tours. When you pay for this tour, cruiselines keep a large percentage of the fee (you can call it commission or whatever you like) and then he cruiseline gives the rest to the company actually providing the service. The companies providing the service are now owned by cruiselines. The cruiselines will claim that they only hire the best companies to run their tours and vet them out among all tour companies to ensure that you are getting the very best tour. The cruise passenger, essentially, is paying both the cruiseline and the private company.

Private excursions can just be the passenger and the driver. But many on Cruise Critic "team up" and share the cost of hiring a six to eight person van or a 12-16 person mini-bus. These vehicles usually are driven by "driver guides". While they are not professionally licensed, the driver guides provide commentary to passengers about what they will see. You will see many reviews of the driver guides on the ports of call boards. The cost per passenger can be considerably less than what cruiselines charge. The roll call sections on Cruise Critic are great places to find others willing to share the cost of driver guide services. However, this may be more prevalent on the larger mass market cruiselines and less so on premium lines such as Crystal since, with the mass market cruiselines there are so many people and that creates better sharing opportunities.

There are also some here who prefer to tour the ports on their own and not use either cruiseline tours or even hire a driver guide. There is considerable discussion on "how to" do this, including great direction on where to catch public transportaton and other logistical issues on the ports of call boards.

I don't know much about tour services provided by premium lines such as Crystal and how they differentiate from the mass market lines. I have heard that now the premium lines inlcude tours in the price of the cruise and that certainly changes the dynamics.

I am a solo woman traveler.....:confused:

I have never had a problem traveling on my own, including DIY with public transport, private tours, and occasional ship tours (however these are usually my last resort....)

I understand that you have some other issues that might influence your choice, but to suggest that women travelers in general cannot arrange private tours or DIY isn't necessarily true.

I never suggested that solo women can't go it alone on tours---where did I write that----I said that solo women can book private tours without any problem. But there are differences in location as far as safety is concerned. And like I said, I book private tours a lot of the time rather than rely on the ship's tours. Plus, unless you're a seasoned cruiser, especially if you're cruising in an area where you're not familiar, it can be difficult. If one of the OP's stops is in Rome, it can be difficult to get from the port area to the center of Rome on your own, using public transportation----you definitely have to make sure you get back to the ship on time, and sometimes public transportation in Europe can be unreliable. But if there's a stop in Venice or Nice or Monte Carlo, of course those are ports that anyone can do on one's own, very easily. Everything depends on the port.

I also would never suggest that a solo woman just walk up to those men who are standing right off the pier who offer tours in their private cars. You never know what can happen unless you can hook up with others for those kinds of tours.

Solo women can do tours on their own, with the cruise line or with a private company. Like I said, a lot depends on the location of the tours and the experience the person has with travel.

Active Traveler, no cruise line runs their own tours. They are all subcontracted out to local companies. On Crystal, the line you're cruising, the concierge can book private tours for you once you get on board, but they will be much more expensive than if you pre-book a private tour on your own before you leave home. On one of my most recent cruises to the UK, I booked private cars and drivers online before I left home. I had this in Edinburgh, Dublin, Waterford, Belfast and in London. It worked out great as I met each driver at the appointed time and off we went, with a tour tailored to my wishes.

I will say that on many of the independent tours that we have taken there are solo women on them, it some cases they are cruising alone and in others their husband or partner has gone on another tour. DW and I have another problem, she has MS, has a leg brace and needs either a walker or wheelchair....so we need to take extra time with the tour operator before booking to ensure that the van or bus can accommodate her, her walker or chair, there is a step stool for her to get up into the van or bus and that there attractions we are visiting can for the most part can handle her needs. I am only pointing this out as a demonstration that you can qualify the independent operator and tour....or you can just accept what the cruise line dishes out at an inflated price.

I never suggested that solo women can't go it alone on tours---where did I write that----I said that solo women can book private tours without any problem. But there are differences in location as far as safety is concerned. And like I said, I book private tours a lot of the time rather than rely on the ship's tours. Plus, unless you're a seasoned cruiser, especially if you're cruising in an area where you're not familiar, it can be difficult. If one of the OP's stops is in Rome, it can be difficult to get from the port area to the center of Rome on your own, using public transportation----you definitely have to make sure you get back to the ship on time, and sometimes public transportation in Europe can be unreliable. But if there's a stop in Venice or Nice or Monte Carlo, of course those are ports that anyone can do on one's own, very easily. Everything depends on the port.

I also would never suggest that a solo woman just walk up to those men who are standing right off the pier who offer tours in their private cars. You never know what can happen unless you can hook up with others for those kinds of tours.

Solo women can do tours on their own, with the cruise line or with a private company. Like I said, a lot depends on the location of the tours and the experience the person has with travel.

I am not trying to contradict you, merely to say that solo travelers who are women do not necessarily have concerns that are any different from anyone booking a private tour. You want to make sure your tour is reputable and safe, whether you're single, married, old, young, male, or female.

Also, I am just trying to push the boundaries a little. I would think nothing, as a solo woman traveler, of taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome on my own for the day. I've done public transportation and land tours solo in countries far tougher than Italy to figure out.

In fact, I'd venture to say that I'm more prepared than most male travelers to defend myself, think on my feet, and assess and avoid any dangerous situations because I am a solo woman living in a large city on my own, and this is what I do every day. I hope that by posting some of my experiences and giving advice on cruise critic, that others who might think traveling alone is too difficult or dangerous will be inspired to give it a try.

I am a single solo woman traveler who travels all the time and does this all over the world. I do have concerns about hiring a private car and driver for the day just myself.

I dont have concerns about taking public transportation on the other hand. My typical expierences traveling are staying in Hostels, taking public transit/transportation to get around and love to do this.

I stay alert and dont put myself in certain situations. I do say this. I just would not feel comfortable as a solo woman traveler hiring a car and driver just for me. If another passanger from the cruise wanted to come along I would be delighted.

But for me and my first cruise in the Mexican Carribean. I am doing two ships tours and one tour that caters specifically to cruise ship passengers.

Thats just my o.o2 cents,

Adri :)

Adri, can you explain why you are not comfortable hiring a driver/guide?

I think thats putting myself in a chance of being isolated. So I arrive at a destination. I have just gotten off a cruise ship. I dont know anyone at the destination at all. I might have made some friends and aquentiences on the ship but in the end I dont know anyone at the destination.

What happens if I hire a private Car and Driver and I am the only one in the car. What happens if somthing goes wrong an accident or somthing worse? Who is going to know or care right away. Say I do provide the information and details to the ship itself and to my family? Its going to take say three days or so before the pieces are really put together and by then it could be to late.

As I said I travel all over the world as a solo traveler. I stay in Hostels, I take backpacking tours, I travel light and use trains, planes, boats, buses and dont have any problem doing that.

One of the rules I set for my safty and my comfort is that while I would do backpacking tours and other kind of tours. I would never ever take a strictly private tour as that isolates me from other people. Also just because its a woman driver for example does not mean I am necciesarly more safe.

This is my personal comfort zone and I have no intention of breaking it but thats me. Every woman traveler particularly solo travelers has to decide thier comfort zone.

I encourage other woman to solo travel and think it is healthy and a wonderful expierence and so worth it. I have learned quite a bit and advocate to my friends and family all the time. Both my sisters where and are also single woman traveler so it runs in the family.

Adri, you can avoid those things by keeping an itinerary of your excursions with your family or a friend or even in your cabin where it's easily seen. Heck, you could have a problem while on any public conveyance, and with that, how would anyone know you're on a bus or train that had problems/accident? It could take family even longer to find out there's been a problem. I've taken private tours in areas where some might feel uncomfortable, and thank God--knock on wood, never had a problem. I've had private cars in Russia, Cape Town, Dubai, Kenya, Buenos Aires, Ho Chi Minh City, Sydney, Cairns and many other places, including your basic cities like Paris, Rome, Stockholm, Florence, Brugges and Copenhagen. If you book these via a local travel agent in your town, they will even have a copy of your schedule if there were a problem.

I think thats putting myself in a chance of being isolated. So I arrive at a destination. I have just gotten off a cruise ship. I dont know anyone at the destination at all. I might have made some friends and aquentiences on the ship but in the end I dont know anyone at the destination.

What happens if I hire a private Car and Driver and I am the only one in the car. What happens if somthing goes wrong an accident or somthing worse? Who is going to know or care right away. Say I do provide the information and details to the ship itself and to my family? Its going to take say three days or so before the pieces are really put together and by then it could be to late.

But, when you think about it, this is no different than if a couple were to take a private tour -- no one would be aware of any issue sooner if you were a couple (or a family) than if you were a solo traveler......?

Adri, you can avoid those things by keeping an itinerary of your excursions with your family or a friend or even in your cabin where it's easily seen. Heck, you could have a problem while on any public conveyance, and with that, how would anyone know you're on a bus or train that had problems/accident? It could take family even longer to find out there's been a problem. I've taken private tours in areas where some might feel uncomfortable, and thank God--knock on wood, never had a problem. I've had private cars in Russia, Cape Town, Dubai, Kenya, Buenos Aires, Ho Chi Minh City, Sydney, Cairns and many other places, including your basic cities like Paris, Rome, Stockholm, Florence, Brugges and Copenhagen. If you book these via a local travel agent in your town, they will even have a copy of your schedule if there were a problem.

I understand all this and am prepared for all of that its a fact of life as a solo traveler and I accept it. I travel and stay in Hostels, I am pretty fearless when it comes to traveling alone. In fact about 98% (excluding family trips which I participate in as well) are me traveling alone. The thing is I as a solo traveler have to travel with my comfort and my safty level.

I am extremly comfortable and I can not stress this enough about traveling alone. I love to travel and wont let being alone stop me. Many times I dont do private tours as a backpacker because I am saving money. I take budget tours, back packing tours, tours through the hostels I am staying at and so on and so forth. But for my comfort level I decided for me alone that I wont do a private tour. I will do shared tours, public tours, I will take public transportation and do so many many many times. I thrive on solo travel and being able to decide what I want to do to.

I love the thrill of purchising a ticket to a city, putting a small backpack together and knocking about for a month or two, having some great adventures and fun. I thrive on travel and traveling light and enjoying all the fun expierences of being a solo backpacker. I just established the one rule and it works for me great. Now thier may come a day I decide to take a private tour and if I do thats great thats another boundry over come. But also I am a people person and I love being around other people so thats part of the reason I love using Public transportation and taking public tours.

I tend to take back packing tours, walking tours and tours given by hostels which tend to be smaller. So anyway thats my reasons and I hope I explained it well.

Archived