"Polonia Quartet" on Emerald Princess 5/16 - 5/22

DaKingfish

Hey Folks:

My wife and I were on the Emerald Princess the week of 5/16 for our honeymoon, and we practically became "groupies" for a wonderful Polish string quartet, called "Polonia Quartet". They played pretty much everyday somewhere on the ship and we really enjoyed them.

Their music was wonderful, and it really complemented the ship....kind of gave it that "Titantic movie feel". The music really resonated well throughout the ship. We purchased their CD, which I have been listening to alot since we got back, as it takes me back there.

Question...I have been researching them online, and can really find nothing....they gave us some background on their group and such during their shows, but I was wondering if this group is "a mainstay" on the cruise circuit, or of they are exclusively with Princess? Do they stay on the Emerald Princess, or change ships?

They are truly wonderful, and if you have the opportunity, I highly encourage you give them a listen....even if you are not into classical music (they played some contemporary stuff too), I think you will find yourself enjoying their show!

-DK

WE also enjoyed a string quartet on Emerald last July in the Baltic. (not sure the name). I wrote them a glowing review on the card we filled out at the end of the cruise so that Princess would keep that type of entertainment on board.

• 2 months later...

I was just on the Emerald Princess 7/18-7/25. It was my first cruise ever and I loved it! I also loved the string quartet, but didn't know they had a CD available until the last day, and it was too late. I am so bummed! I looked online to see if I can purchase it there, but couldn't find it anywhere. I don't know what I can do to find it and learn more about them. So sad!

We also loved the string quartet on the Baltic Emerald cruise last July. We also gave them a great write up and also suggested they be allowed to play somewhere other than the bar where people would sit and talk loudly and laugh while they were playing. On our NCL E. Med trip this past May, the classical group was given one night in the theatre to perform. It was great even though they weren't as good as the Princess group, we could relax and enjoy it in a better venue than a bar.

I believe all of these small ensembles play primarily cruise ships. They are on long contracts on one ship like the other musicians, singers, and dancers, unlike the comedians and other special performers who are on shorter contracts and frequently change ships. None of them are famous quartets like the Borodin String Quartet or the Julliard String Quartet.

As for the caliber of the musicians, most of them are very good. Unfortunately, a lot of what they play is fluff. I have talked with several on different cruises. On one cruise (Golden to New England), I talked the young quartet into playing Schubert's Death and the Maiden. Listen here on You Tube to the beautiful slow movement.

I was on the Emerald in May 2009. On that particular sailing there was a very lovely/talented string quartet that went by the name of The Astoria String Quartet. While they could be the same quartet you're referring to, I do know they didn't speak English, beyond thank you & other very basic things. They performed nightly in the Piazza on the Emerald & I was there every night. The four young ladies showed up with their two ring binders full of music scores.

• 5 years later...
Hey Folks:

My wife and I were on the Emerald Princess the week of 5/16 for our honeymoon, and we practically became "groupies" for a wonderful Polish string quartet, called "Polonia Quartet". They played pretty much everyday somewhere on the ship and we really enjoyed them.

Their music was wonderful, and it really complemented the ship....kind of gave it that "Titantic movie feel". The music really resonated well throughout the ship. We purchased their CD, which I have been listening to alot since we got back, as it takes me back there.

Question...I have been researching them online, and can really find nothing....they gave us some background on their group and such during their shows, but I was wondering if this group is "a mainstay" on the cruise circuit, or of they are exclusively with Princess? Do they stay on the Emerald Princess, or change ships?

They are truly wonderful, and if you have the opportunity, I highly encourage you give them a listen....even if you are not into classical music (they played some contemporary stuff too), I think you will find yourself enjoying their show!

-DK

They were on our recent Eastern Carribean cruise on the Regal, and they were fantastic! They played multiple sets on most nights and even played a concert in the Vista lounge. My wife and I LOVED them. The group's leader gave me his card. I'll try to find it and give you some contact information for the group. The leader told me they expected to stay on either the Regal or the Royal for a while.

I saw them play on the Regal in early January 2016. They play well, but I thought that some of the costumes they wore for themed concerts, cheapened the act a bit, especially the tee shirts they wore for the Beatles recital.

There was a female string quartet on the Regal last year (2015), March through July. I'm pretty sure their name was Majestica. They usually played in the Piazza and they always wore the same color dresses (everyone wore blue one night, everyone wore gold the next night, etc.) They were delightful. The first thing I did when we received the Patter was to see where they would be the next day.

There was a female string quartet on the Regal last year (2015), March through July. I'm pretty sure their name was Majestica. They usually played in the Piazza and they always wore the same color dresses (everyone wore blue one night, everyone wore gold the next night, etc.) They were delightful. The first thing I did when we received the Patter was to see where they would be the next day.