Favorite Waterproof Camera?

Looking into getting a waterproof camera for an upcoming cruise. I'm looking at the Canon D10 but wanted to know what others used. I have also heard good things about the Olympus.

I don't want to spend a TON so just a simple point and shoot.

I'm also interested in getting a waterproof case. Anyone have experience with a Dicapac? What are your thoughts on it?

You will have to use the search function to find peoples testimony. There are a lot in the Carnival, Caribbean, and HAL threads if memory serves me correct.

The D10 is pretty favorably reviewed:

http://www.popphoto.com/Features/The-5-Best-Waterproof-Compact-Cameras

http://www.popphoto.com/Features/The-5-Best-Waterproof-Compact-Cameras

My personal favorite, I don't own any waterproof P&S but am lusting the new Sony.

Looking into getting a waterproof camera for an upcoming cruise. I'm looking at the Canon D10 but wanted to know what others used. I have also heard good things about the Olympus.

I'm also interested in getting a waterproof case. Anyone have experience with a Dicapac? What are your thoughts on it?

I gave my new Canon D10 a great test drive on our last cruise

I liked it, it made me look like a better photographer than I actually am.

If you click on the link in my signature you can see all my photos.

Its only good to 30 feet which is fine for us, but you can't use if if you want to

scuba. The weak spot is that the camera depends on simple rubber seals, and it

has the best in its class, but I don't trust it below 25 feet (as a safety margin).

You also have to be careful opening any of the doors to download your photos or

change a battery before the camera is completely dry.

There have been a few reports of a lens failure error on the internet.

My camera did this once after 6 months of ownership. I found an alternative way

to turn it on, shook it a few times and it never did it again.

I've used this camera for all kinds of cool shoots and I'm having a blast. Yesterday

was difficult because I had tricky light conditions on my canoe trip.... either too

much, or too little sun in the dense forest. But I still got some neat shots.

MemorialDay2010036.jpg

BoattripTampa213.jpg

BoattripTampa224bc.jpg

BoattripTampa182.jpg

MemorialDay2010028.jpg

MemorialDay2010058.jpg

I have a D10 as well, and really like it. Takes great pictures underwater and above. Video from underwater is decent as well. Downside, is that it is not HD. There are a few underwater cameras now that do HD of that matters to you. Got the D10 primarily due to my experience with other Canon cameras and that all the other camera's I have are Canons so no need to carry different memory or transfer cables. Below are a few pictures I took with it in Aruba last month.

4614819935_13237ff286.jpg

4615438284_74e5f50a63.jpg

4614819385_d0cdbb6cf7.jpg

Tim

I used to play with a canon S400 p&s and a u/w case/housing. I sold, simplified and got the D10. It's my "excursion" carmera and I couldn't be happier. Put a little skateboard tape on in a few spots and you'll be all set above or below the water, rain, sleet, snow, etc. Go handle them in the store & read those reviews! :D

I used to play with a canon S400 p&s and a u/w case/housing. I sold, simplified and got the D10. It's my "excursion" carmera and I couldn't be happier. Put a little skateboard tape on in a few spots and you'll be all set above or below the water, rain, sleet, snow, etc. Go handle them in the store & read those reviews! :D

I have the Canon D10. What would the skateboard tape be for? I need any and all tips I can get!

Tracy

I have the Canon D10. What would the skateboard tape be for? I need any and all tips I can get!

Tracy

Well you could call it a tip, or just my own weird obsession! I cut strips 1/4" x 1" (any non stick type of tape). On the D10 I have one on each side of the "CANON" on the front blue part of camera (going top to bottom), another on the front blue below the shutter and power buttons (going left to right), another between the flash and the "waterproof 10mm" wordage. Lastly, a little piece above & right of the zoom buttons, and a tiny triangle piece below & left of the zoom buttons (and built in bumps). So yes, a little weird but I've never dropped it. You shoud see my cell phone! :D

Well you could call it a tip, or just my own weird obsession! I cut strips 1/4" x 1" (any non stick type of tape). On the D10 I have one on each side of the "CANON" on the front blue part of camera (going top to bottom), another on the front blue below the shutter and power buttons (going left to right), another between the flash and the "waterproof 10mm" wordage. Lastly, a little piece above & right of the zoom buttons, and a tiny triangle piece below & left of the zoom buttons (and built in bumps). So yes, a little weird but I've never dropped it. You shoud see my cell phone! :D

Wow that sounds cool. You need to take a picture of your camera with your camera. I'd like to see that :D

My personal choice would be (since I don't actually have a waterproof camera at the moment) the Sony TX5. I'm into small P&S cameras, so for my personal preferences the Canon D10 is too bulky - I love the super-slim form factor of the Sony TX-series. I've currently got a TX1, a non-waterproof relative of the TX5. The key features that make the TX5 camera so desirable for me as a backup camera to my DSLR is the wide angle capability (25mm), the low light ability (using a rather extraordinary 'twilight mode' for low-noise detailed shots up to ISO3200), the built-in HDR mode (automatically aligning and stacking two exposures, one for highlights and one for shadows, in camera), and the sweep panorama mode.

The TX5 is a light-duty waterproof camera - 15 feet, as well as being shock and dustproof. Nice LCD screen, touch controls that are easy to manipulate even under water, and slide cover to turn on and off.

As for DiCaPac, I use one with my TX1, and it works fine. It isn't as convenient as a waterproof camera, but it seals well and easily, doesn't add any weight or much bulk to the camera, and is good for simple snorkeling, walking in the rain, splashes, etc. I don't think I'd try to go much beyond 5 feet with mine - just my own caution...but for basic waterproofing, it works well enough. Optically, there is a small loss due to the extra plastic lens area you have to shoot through, but for basic snaps and prints, nothing noticeable.

Wow that sounds cool. You need to take a picture of your camera with your camera. I'd like to see that :D

Cool & ugly. Uglier than the other D10's for sure, that's why I like it - I call it personalization. Zackiedawg is right about being bulky - a bit of an odd egg shape too. But if it had square edges and more symetrical, I wouldn't need the tape!

We got a D10 as well during our last cruise to south caribbean. It works so well both underwater and on shore. Yes, as someone said above, the only shortage is it's not HD. For P&S, it's great!

I absolutely loved my D10 UNTIL I got a Lens Error message. My camera wouldn't work at all after that so I had to return it to Canon for repair.

They sent me a new one. That was six months ago.

Just went on a trip to Disney....took about 5 photos of my daughter in the pool and then it would never turn on again. Have just sent it back to Canon and am waiting to see what happens. I was really surprised that we had a problem with the second one. We have had many Canon cameras and never had a problem. Looks like this one is our bad luck charm!

Once we get this one back, our warranty will be up and we'll be on our own. Should be interesting to see how it goes. I'm crossing my fingers!

I absolutely loved my D10 UNTIL I got a Lens Error message.

Love my D10 but had the lens error pop-up once after 6 months of flawless operation.

What happens is the camera turns on, says it can't open the lens and then it shuts down.

I fixed it with two simple steps.

If you press the "power button" and the "Func Set" button at the same time when turning the camera on (after getting a lens error message)... the camera will turn on with a screen showing a digital clock against a blue background. Since this does not requrie opening the stuck lens, the camera does not automaticly shut down. Once you have the camera on in clock mode, then you can use the buttons above your screen to look at your photos, or switch to camera mode. For some reason this worked and I never had the problem again.

I also read that you can turn the camera upside down and shake it. Or gently hit it against your knee. This is a less important step, but has been reported as working just to mechanicaly move the lens incase there is a bit of dust or something in the mechanism. (I know it sounds silly but people swear by it on the web...when I was searching for soultions). I did this also. Not sure if it helped keep the problem from coming back once I used the step above to get the camera to turn back on.

I did both and my camera has never had a problem again.

The one method that didn't work for me was taking the battery out and replaceing it. I could never try this because my camera was always wet.

Also, I read that a 100% battery was strong enough to get the lens to open where-as a 95% charge battery couldn't do it sometimes. I did not try this either.

We have a D10 and love it. We also got the lens error on a trip to the Grand Canyon for Spring Break. We smacked it on our palm and it started working.

That's the second Canon we've had with a lens error. We got our daughter an Elph for high school graduation, and she had the lens error. (We assumed she dropped it and didn't confess.) She was working in Alaska for Princess Cruise Lines for the summer and didn't want to be without her camera so she smacked it and got it to work and kept using it. It would work for a while and then it would happen again, get smacked, and start working. It happened more and more often until she finished her contract, came home, and we shipped it back for repair. It's been working fine for 6+ months now. So lens errors are not just a D10 problem.

Even with the annoyance of the lens error problem, we're so happy with the D10. The D10 has a GREAT processor! It makes us wish we'd waited for the 50D instead of buying our 40D. We will get it repaired and hope it never happens again. It is a great small camera for low light shooting. Even better than my 40D for low light.

Robin

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

hand held

IMG_2440edited.jpg

using a gorrilla pod

IMG_2434edited.jpg

using a gorrilla pod

Love my D10 but had the lens error pop-up once after 6 months of flawless operation.

What happens is the camera turns on, says it can't open the lens and then it shuts down.

I fixed it with two simple steps.

If you press the "power button" and the "Func Set" button at the same time when turning the camera on (after getting a lens error message)... the camera will turn on with a screen showing a digital clock against a blue background. Since this does not requrie opening the stuck lens, the camera does not automaticly shut down. Once you have the camera on in clock mode, then you can use the buttons above your screen to look at your photos, or switch to camera mode. For some reason this worked and I never had the problem again.

I also read that you can turn the camera upside down and shake it. Or gently hit it against your knee. This is a less important step, but has been reported as working just to mechanicaly move the lens incase there is a bit of dust or something in the mechanism. (I know it sounds silly but people swear by it on the web...when I was searching for soultions). I did this also. Not sure if it helped keep the problem from coming back once I used the step above to get the camera to turn back on.

I did both and my camera has never had a problem again.

The one method that didn't work for me was taking the battery out and replaceing it. I could never try this because my camera was always wet.

Also, I read that a 100% battery was strong enough to get the lens to open where-as a 95% charge battery couldn't do it sometimes. I did not try this either.

Unfortunately, we did try all of those things as we had read something on the internet about it. Nothing worked. So back it went.

We go shark cage diving in South Africa in August so hopefully, they'll send it back to us all fixed up and ready to go! Those are pictures I would hate to miss!

Great photos! Where are these two taken?

Disneyland. We had annual passes and went nine times last year. :o Since I don't enjoy a lot of rides (motion sickness prone) I took my D10 (and once my 40D AND the D10) and practiced, practiced, practiced. The problem is: I NEED MORE PRACTICE.

I had major surgery last week and have been online more while recuperating than in the last six months combined. I love reading/learning about photography. I can't wait until I can get out and do some more shooting! Can one ever practice enough????

Robin

Disneyland. We had annual passes and went nine times last year. :o Since I don't enjoy a lot of rides (motion sickness prone) I took my D10 (and once my 40D AND the D10) and practiced, practiced, practiced. The problem is: I NEED MORE PRACTICE.

I had major surgery last week and have been online more while recuperating than in the last six months combined. I love reading/learning about photography. I can't wait until I can get out and do some more shooting! Can one ever practice enough????

Robin

Sorry to hear of your surgery...hope you're doing well!

Never been to Disneyland....but have been to Disney World many times. We'll have to get to California one of these days.

Just did a course (beginner) yesterday on my T2i. Next week I go for part 2 to learn about aperture, etc. Should be interesting. I find it all confusing but really want to learn. I really liked your photos...you are very good!

You're right though...you can never practice enough!

We are also looking for a new underwater camera for our trip to Hawaii next year. It will have to go with us when we are touring most of the time as we don't want to leave our good camera in the car when we stop to snorkel. Would the D10 you are talking about be good for scenery shots above the water, too? We need a good versatile camera with the best zoom possible that would work for snorkeling, not scuba. 10 - 15 feet would be good.

Would the D10 you are talking about be good

for scenery shots above the water, too? We need a good versatile camera with

the best zoom possible that would work for snorkeling, not scuba. 10 - 15 feet

would be good.

We used our D10 for all our trip photos. What kind of scenery shots are you

thinking about?

Here's a few of ours (these photos looked sharper before I uploaded them to

PhotoBucket.com, I seem to lose some resolution when I post to cruisecritic)

Does anyone know how to post photos to cruisecritic and get the best resolution?

5RubyPrincess002.jpg

1RubyPrincess533.jpg

orlando2010030.jpg

5RubyPrincess250.jpg

RubyPrincess20101184small.jpg

Archived