"Oh No, Not Another Upgrade Question!"

xnavydoc2

Hello to all,

My lovely wife Opal and I are booked in an inside cabin on the Pearl for a Panama Canal Cruise in Sept/Oct. I'm thinking about upgrading to a suite. Can I assume it would behoove me to wait untill the last minute to do that? I booked directly with NCL.

Thanks

Gordon and His lovely Wife Opal

I wouldn't wait. Depending on your cruise, the suites might (or might not) sell out. I upgraded us to a spa suite on the Epic for our Christmas cruise, and they sold out a week later! Also I noticed prices on that specific cruise have gone up substantially - e.g. the BD was about $1679 when we booked and now it's about $1879, which is more than the 5% increase NCL put on....

I'm also on the TA which is completely sold out!

Hello to all,

My lovely wife Opal and I are booked in an inside cabin on the Pearl for a Panama Canal Cruise in Sept/Oct. I'm thinking about upgrading to a suite. Can I assume it would behoove me to wait untill the last minute to do that? I booked directly with NCL.

Thanks

Gordon and His lovely Wife Opal

I'm not sure what you consider to be last minute...but your "last minute" is the final payment date...after that things change.

As to the assumption...There are many examples where last minute deals are good....and others where waiting till the last minute either leaves you paying more or being shut out. So it is probably a bad assumption to make.

I would first check and see if a number of suites are still available. If they are, watch the prices. They may well come down after final payment. We did that and were able to grab an Owner's Suite for a LOT less than the original price on our Gem cruise in early May. Remember, you can always move up and pay the difference in categories, right up until embarkation. However, if suites on your cruise are selling well, you may need to do it soon to avoid disappointment. By the wAy, I highly recommend splurging on a suite, it really is a step or two above a regular cabin.

Thanks everyone. Cynbar, you say upgrading is well worth the extra money and I dont doubt it. If I re-book through my time share company, I get the following prices---

1. AF Mini $2099

2. AG Mini $2559

3. AE Penthouse $3059

4. AB Penthouse $4509

5. A3 Courtyard Villa $6009

6. AA Owners $6209

7. A2 Deluxe Owners $7409

8. A1 Garden Villa $15,409

What do you think of these prices? I know I need to do my "Homework" on this, but just wanted some input. It will just be the two of us, so I dont need something that sleeps 4 people. Is it better to get an "Aft Suite? Why?

Thanks

Since there is only 1 AE left, no AD's, and 2 AB's, I would grab the AE. I don't believe there is a chance in the world it will last until final payment date.

Al

what he said....

you get suite perks for a lot less than the other suites. Check and see what the rules are about downgrading before committing--if you follow those rules there is minimal risk in upgrading, and it's easier to go back down than up, as there are many more nonsuite cabins.

what he said....

you get suite perks for a lot less than the other suites. Check and see what the rules are about downgrading before committing--if you follow those rules there is minimal risk in upgrading, and it's easier to go back down than up, as there are many more nonsuite cabins.

I don't think you can go back down (downgrade) after final payment. If you wanted to downgrade before final payment, you would just be cancelling and rebooking at the current rates.

Thanks for stating it more clearly--what I was trying to say was that I'd assume you can cancel the suite and downgrade BEFORE final payment if you change your mind, and you are more likely to find availability--OTOH if you wait too long you may not be able to get the suite you want, as there are fewer suites than balcony/inside rooms.

I agree with the others, grab the AE, you'll get an aft balcony and the most important suite perks(breakfast and lunch in Cagneys, services of the concierge, a butler to bring you full breakfast and other meals on your cabin, priority embarkation and tender tickets) At that point, you can still watch the prices and consider moving up later if prices come down.

Thanks everyone. One more thing, what are the pros and cons of having a suite in the aft section? What's so good about aft? What's so bad about aft? My lovely wife Opal tends to get a bit seasick, which is why we book an inside cabin. She did pretty well last time using wrist bands and ginger tabs.

Thanks

Archived