In "My Time Dining", Do We Need To Dress Up On Formal Nights?

Hello......sHa_wave2.gif

We haven't cruised on Royal Caribbean in a few years and I am DELIGHTED that there is now "My Time Dining".....!!! icon14.gificon14.gif

I must admit that we are used to NCL's, "resort casual" dress at Dinner time and I would prefer to not have to pack a suit for my DH or dressy dresses for me.

So, I was wondering, is it acceptable to wear "resort casual" to "My Time Dining" Dinners on Formal Nights?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.....!!! sHa_thumbsup2.gif

Thank You.....!!! :)

Well, the MTD section is still in the dining room so on formal night it would be "more acceptable" to stick to formal wear.

Of course, I suppose it would depend on who you are wanting to be "accepted" by, but there are plenty of threads on this board that will give their opinion on the dress code! ;)

We did not dress up on formal night, we had my time dining so really no need to unless you wanted to. We dressed nicely, slacks button down sort sleeve nice shirt for DH, nice sundress for me. Something we would have worn to the dining room anyway. ;)

I'm probably asking for it by posting this, but here goes...

As long as I look nice, nice black dress pants and a shirt (something I could wear to work or to a nice restaurant) does that mean I can't eat in the MDR on formal night? My first cruise was on Royal, and I ate at Windjammer and Chops on those nights in order to respect the dress code. I guess my question is, how strongly do people feel about this issue? I am not suggesting that I wear shorts while the woman next to me wears a ball gown, but if I not in a ball gown but in the outfit mentioned above - will it really ruin your dinner? I was planning on finding different dining options on formal nights as I don't want to ruin anyone's night. I was just wondering if it would - and why?

My Time Dining is in the MDR. On the Oasis it was on the top level of a three deck dining room. The point is the suggested dress is for the entire main dining room.

On our formal nights, I wore dress slacks with a sports jacket and tie. DW wore nice slacks and a dressy top. We saw everything from tuxes to shorts and a tee shirt. No one we saw was refused admttance.

I, for one, can't understand how what you wear could affect my dining experience or how what I wear could affect your dining experience.

Have a great cruise!

Harvey

Follow the dress code, since you will still be in the MDR. If you don't want to dress up, eat in the buffet or one of the speciality restaurants (Will still have to dress business casual or better, men must have collard shirts and no sandals).

The suggested dress on formal nights is the same whether you are in traditional dining or in my time dining. Both are held in the main dining room. That said, not everyone dresses formally on those evenings, even those who have selected traditional dining so you wouldn't be alone or look totally out of place if you didn't wear formal clothes but were dressed neatly and presentably.

I would say you will be fine.

The only time I saw anyone turned away from the dining room was at lunch one day and the young couple both had tank tops.

I found it weird, actually, as I also saw youngish men wearing shorts to the MDR for dinner (not on formal night) on the same cruise.

It really doesn't bother me what others choose to wear.

I love the addition of the my time dining option. I wish their next step would be to add 'my dress code dining' and perhaps have a floor of the dining room reserved just for that, so you could have the formal types all together, and the casual types in their area.

I'd be on the casual side :)

Rachel

Follow the dress code, since you will still be in the MDR. If you don't want to dress up, eat in the buffet or one of the speciality restaurants (Will still have to dress business casual or better, men must have collard shirts and no sandals).

I guess my only quibble with your answer would be with your choice of the phrases "will still have to" and "must have". Anyone who has sailed on most cruise ships, and certainly with Royal Caribbean, over the past several years, knows that those rules are rarely, if ever, strictly enforced. We may wish that they required guests to follow the suggested dress code more closely but it is clear to anyone who looks around the dining room on formal nights, or even the specialty restaurants on any evening, that they do not.:)

I guess my only quibble with your answer would be with your choice of the phrases "will still have to" and "must have". Anyone who has sailed on most cruise ships, and certainly with Royal Caribbean, over the past several years, knows that those rules are rarely, if ever, strictly enforced. We may wish that they required guests to follow the suggested dress code more closely but it is clear to anyone who looks around the dining room on formal nights, or even the specialty restaurants on any evening, that they do not.:)

Agree 100%.

Rachel

Wear whatever you want to. RCI doesn't enforce the dress codes at all.

The dress is really a mixed bag..some look as if they are going to a formal dinner others dress like they are going to a ball game and are going to tailgate it.:rolleyes:

From what I have been reading, some of the waiters are now telling people not to worry about dressing up on formal night and to PLEASE come to dinner. That right there should tell you something

That said, dress codes are a very touchy subject around here and you will certainly get plenty of input from both sides on it :D

Bottom line is, you are going to see everything from tuxes to jeans or shorts on "formal night" from what I can gather...........I imagine the only thing turned away are bathing suits or tank tops.

With My Time you can request a table for two, problem solved. As long as you look nice and act accordingly, I doubt anybody will say anything.

I would agree. Most of us really don't care what others choose to wear other than "The Clothes Police" who are the most vocal on these boards. Even they have enough class to keep their mouths shut while on the ship. It gives them a feeling of power to sound off on these boards.

I didn't mean to start a big debate here.......

I am sorry about that.......

But, I see that the replies are varied. I am inclined to pack really nice clothes for Dinner, like we would wear if we were going out to a fancy dinner/party here at home.

But, in a few months I may change my mind and throw my DH's tux in the bag and my long black skirt and a few pretty tops.....:)

It IS nice to see him in a tux every now and then. :D

I ALWAYS go, "WOW, Honey you look GREAT.......!!!" sSig_wowspring.gifsLo_hug3.gif

It's your vacation do as you wish...

Trust me if a person really down dresses, there will always be people who will think not very nice things about that person, but that's about it...the staff won't say anything.

However if you wear something that you would wear to church, or an early evening cocktail party, or even to the office, not many will even think anything of it. So since you are concerned about others feelings, don't dress too down, be kind.

From what I have been reading, some of the waiters are now telling people not to worry about dressing up on formal night and to PLEASE come to dinner.
I'm not sure the word "now" really applies, the first time a waiter on RCI told me that was January, 2002.

We did not dress up on formal night, we had my time dining so really no need to unless you wanted to. ;)

Whether you have set dining or my time dining, the suggested dress is the same. Having said that, suggested dress is just that--a suggestion. On formal night the suggested dress is formal attire. But you do not NEED to dress formally, as long as you meet the dress code, which states that shorts, tank tops etc. are not permitted in the dining room at dinner.

DH just wears a dark vest, long sleeve, button-down collar with nice tie and dark pants. Sometimes black tennis. I wear sparky top and dar pants. When we travel, we have a rule of one suitcase pp, roll on, overnight kind. This way no check-in on airplanes, no lost luggage, ease of movement. We've done this on 7-night cruises, twice, plus a 7-night Amtrak trip to grand canyon and lived to talk about it. Compression magic and don't care attitude helps. We be blue jean people. No seemed to mind DH's strip down "formal look." Just my two cents.

From the RCI website..........and no where does it state that men MUST wear collard shirts.

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

From the RCI website..........and no where does it state that men MUST wear collard shirts.

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

so please tell me.. what type of shirt would you wear with a tie... ? cause i am sure it would have a collar..

so please tell me.. what type of shirt would you wear with a tie... ? cause i am sure it would have a collar..

Who said anything about wearing a tie? It is suggested........not mandatory.

Wearing a collard shirt does not dictate that one wear a tie with it. Again, it is suggested.......not mandatory.

Archived