Euro usage in Pay WC's in Italy/ Greece

ShipOFools

I understand the smallest Euro paper bill is 5 and the largest denomination of coins is 1 and 2 and that it appears in the pay toilets in Greece, Italy and the Med that there is a 1 Euro charge.

The question is are these 1 Euro coins collected to open stall doors? How do the pay WC's in Europe work exactly?:confused:

There is a slot you place the coin in and then you may open the door. Most are less than 1 Euro. Sometimes, you simply leave change in the cleaning lady's dish, which will be on the sink counter.

Euro coins range from 1¢ to €2. I have travelled quite extensively in mainland Europe and have rarely come across the slot on the door. The most common I have seen are leaving the coin(s) in the cleaning lady's dish, or paying at some sort of turnstile before entering the restroom.

Hello,

In Europe's cities there are McDonald's with free restrooms. This is not to start any discussions about European cuisine and "we don't go to Europe to eat at McDonald's". The simple fact is that there are McDonald's all over and the restrooms are free. It may surprise Americans to find McDonalds in Venice, Milan, Verona, and other cities.

Another way is to buy a bottle of water at a restaurant and then use the restroom or use the restroom and buy a bottle of water on your way out. The water is usually one or two Euros.

Europe is very different than the USA or Canada...not better or worse just different. And your question is a very good one.

The simple fact is that there are McDonald's all over and the restrooms are free.

This is true. AND the restrooms are often crowded, not very clean and, in one case, only one stall in operation. This in contrast to the clean, well lit facilities that you pay for.

Our McDonald's experience, in October 08, was that the men were waiting 20 minutes in line and the ladies were waiting 30-40 minutes in line. :(

The attendant will also give you a few sheets of toilet paper' date=' maybe six sheets; they don't have rolls in the stalls. Try to buy a few rolls of travel size toilet paper and bring it with you.[/quote']

This is a great tip! There are sometimes rolls in the stalls, it depends upon where you are, but a good tip nevertheless.

I agree that it is worth paying a Euro or two as the toilets are usually very clean. I have come across toilets where you don't need to pay and the standards of cleanliness are usually reflected in this!

BTW - if you are coming to the UK, public restrooms are usually free of charge (though not always, in places such as large London train stations), and the cleanliness factor can be rather variable! :)

Taking a roll of travel size toilet paper and a travel size hand sanitiser will ensure you have everything you need if the facilities are not up to scratch :D

• 1 month later...

BTW - if you are coming to the UK, public restrooms are usually free of charge (though not always, in places such as large London train stations), and the cleanliness factor can be rather variable! :)

Oh my, that brings back a funny memory. I was in London sightseeing with my son. We had been out almost all day and really needed some "facilities." We were in the Tube station (don't recall which one now), and I rather dreaded using the restroom, knowing how such facilities generally are in similar places in the US.

Well, to my surprise, I go inside the Women's and there is a big plaque proudly displayed on the wall that says "Voted the CLEANEST LOO in London." And it was. (And yes, there was a charge for using it.) Still brings a smile to my face. Somewhere I have a photo. I'm sure the other women thought I was daft taking it. :)

Euro coins range from 1¢ to €2. I have travelled quite extensively in mainland Europe and have rarely come across the slot on the door. The most common I have seen are leaving the coin(s) in the cleaning lady's dish, or paying at some sort of turnstile before entering the restroom.

This is our experience also......and we have seen the turnstiles......in which you drop in a coin......but only saw it at a trian station where lots of people were using the toilets.

Archived