Please Help with Rum Point and other beaches

JSR

We are going to GC in March. We would like to take a cab to a nice beach that has a very gentle slope. Sea Grapes is too steep. Rum Point was suggested but I have read conflicting reports about getting there and whether or not it is open. Can anyon help me?

Thank you

We will be in GC the first week of March, and had planned to rent a car and drive to Rum Point. A cab would be way too expensive. I haven't priced a rental car yet: I know there was a shortage after what Ivan did.

We were there several years ago and, as well as I can remember, the water is shallow for 20 or 30 yards out. Snorkelling was pretty good. A very relaxing place, with relatively inexpensive food and drinks.

No one seems to have much info other than that Rum Point is open. I can't find any reliable info on facilities. I sent Sharon of Nativeway Tours an email asking what she knows: they have a tour which includes a coral reef, Stingray City and a stop at Rum Point. We would take that tour, but won't be there long enough. Waiting for a reply from her.

We were in Grand Cayman in Jaunary aboard the Jewel. We rented a Jeep through Avis. http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanCarRentals.htm

This was the best day of our entire cruise. We wanted to get away from it all and see the island. No Turtle Farm, Sting Rays, etc.

When you get off the tender, somewhat of a pain in the ......, go right and walk along the main street keeping the water on your right. On the other side of the street, about a block or so you will see the Blue Iguana. Go into the store and tell them that you have reservation with Avis. They call them and then Avis comes to pick you up. The older man at the desk was so helpful. Tell him where you want to go and he will trace it out on the map for you.

We chose to drive out to Rum Point. It was the most beautiful drive. There is a lot of devastation along the way. Ivan was cruel to them. It was nice to go at our own pace. We took the long way, all around, instead of the middle road, so it took quite a bit of time. Rum Point is beautiful and very much away from all of the cruisers. We actually went a little further up the road and ate at another beach bar/restaurant. On the way back we stopped along side the road at a couple of beaches. You could not walk without stepping on sponges, fan corals, conch shells, they are everywhere.

Get the convertible jeep, you will not regret renting a car here. It was a perfect day. I will do this again the next time I hit GC.

On your way did you happen to pass the Botanic Gardens? WE were disapointed to learn they are closed due to hurricane damage but after the posts above wonder how we would have gotten there anyway..they look like the best spot on Gr Cayman for us! maybe next time

Hi, we just got back from a week on Grand Cayman. I can answer most questions I hope!:) As for Rum Point, this was our favorite place on the island. You could forget about all the hurrican damage and enjoy the surroundings. They were very fortunate to have been spared alot of the damage you will see as you drive about the island. They still had a beautiful beach with many palm trees and the bar is open. Very good frozen drinks and the lunch menu was great. We did the snorkeling/sting ray tour right from rum point. The company that runs out of there is Red Sails. It was a nice boat with a glass bottom. It's nice as you don't commit to hours on a boat as it is a 2 hour trip total. It was $30 American per person, you spend approx. 30 minutes at Sting Ray City and then another 20 minutes at a coral reef with great snorkeling. The snorkeling off rum point beach itself is not worthwhile but is was the most tranquil and aqua-colored water we found on the island all week. It was such a nice spot we found ourseleves there 3 days out of 7! We did stay on the East end of the island so it was only a 10 minute ride for us. I do reccomend Avis for a car rental as we went with dollar and our car was in bad shape from the hurricane. Many rental cars sustained damage due to Ivan but I saw many more Avis cars in good or new condition. Ask me whatever you need to know!

We will be in Grand Cayman on May, 18 from the Navigator. Do you know how much it is to rent a jeep from Avis, and how long it will take to drive over to Rum Point? We have been to Grand Cayman twice, and I would love to see more of the island, other than downtown Georgetown, and 7 mile beach. We have already done the stingray swim too. Thanks for your help.

Hi, I highly recommend Rum Point. As I said earlier it is one of the few spots on the island that you don't see hurricane damage. I don't expect the island to be that much better in May as for the clean-up effort. They are moving very slowly, it seems the people with money are the only ones getting things cleaned up and repaired. I agree about skipping Georgtown if you have already seen it. It was ok but after half a day there I was dying to get to Rum Point. As for 7 mile beach many hotels are not open yet but should be by May. I was disapointed a bit in this area, we did go to the Westin for lunch and that was a great spot but as for Sea Grape beach that I saw posted here many times as a place to go for a beach day I guess it is but for a younger crowd I think. The beach could have been cleaner and there is a bit of a drop off as you enter the water. Rum Point gets my vote but sorry I don't have info for renting from Avis although I would go with them over Dollar. We paid $400 for the week with dollar which was a good rate but the car was old and had hurricand damage. Axis had newer cars, some brand new.

JaKe-Rum Point sounds great. If my DH does not want to rent a jeep or car...

1) can we get to Rum Point any other way?

2) Is there any other beach you would recommend that is easier to get to?

Thank you so much for all your information.

Jean

We were at Rum Point just two weeks ago. Beautiful beach, delicious lunch. We booked a snorkel reef, stingray, rum point tour through Nativeways. Check this board for recent Nativeways posts. There were three couples on our excursion, one of whom was kind enough to post a long review (complete with pics). Cost was very reasonable and this day was, without a doubt, the best excursion we have ever done.

Enjoy!

Just curious as to whether the pier is still there or was it destroyed, if it was does that mean the ferry is not running to rumpoint as of yet! You are correct this is a great beach and food was good drinks were GREAT!

thanks for the response your neighbour to the west

Marjorie

Just curious as to whether the pier is still there or was it destroyed, if it was does that mean the ferry is not running to rumpoint as of yet! You are correct this is a great beach and food was good drinks were GREAT!

thanks for the response your neighbour to the west

Marjorie

They were just finishing up repair of the pier when we were there. Damage must have been extensive as it would appear the whole pier is new. Don't know anything about ferry service to Rum Point. Restaurant was open, but gift shop was not, although it looked like it would have been ready shortly after we were there. Hotels/condos next to Rum Point were heavily damaged and were board up.

I just tried to rent a vehicle ahead of time for my June cruise. It is not cheap, and you have to get transportation to the airport. There are no rental agencies at the port. They also charge you for a one day drivers lisence. Then of course taxi ride back to the port.

I finally gave up and am going to just take a taxi to the best snorkel beach.

Car rentals in advance seemed to be no problem in Cozumel, however all the Jeeps were already reserved 4 months in advance, along with all convertibles.

I would recommend you reserve well in advance at any of the islands.

What would be the best beach for snorkeling on Grand Cayman for experienced snorkelers with their own equipment and no children?

Thanks for the input. :)

Cheers!

Try Andy's rental cars. I was able to book for late March and they will pick us up at the pier. We plan on driving to Rum Point. For the size of our party the $7 license fee is incidental. Hope you are able to get a car. I understand that the hurricane did significant damage to the "fleet" of rental cars available.

Ok...thanks!

I will try them. So much nicer to have your own wheels to do your own thing! Driving on the left side does not bother us either. We just keep telling ourselves: "think left...think left!"

It was those turning circles in New Zeeland that got me all messed up!

Cheers!

Archived