Would you do pre or post cruise stay in Miami?

I've never been to Miami and the pictures of the port and South Beach look enticing. If our cruise is Sat to Sat would you prefer to fly in say Thursday and spend two days in Miami or would you stay after your cruise for two days? I don't think I have a preference and can't think of pros or cons of either. Please advise.

The advantage of flying 2 days in advance is to be sure your luggage arrives.........in my opinion anyway. Last month I arrived in Miami on Friday for a cruise leaving on Sunday. My luggage was "delayed"...that's the term Delta uses when they lose it, and I didn't get it until Sunday morning, the same day I was leaving on the cruise.

I think the advantage is to be sure that you arrive! :)

True, of course, but when this happened to me just last month all I could think of was boarding the ship without my stuff. Not a pleasant thought.

I would definitely do it as a pre cruise for the reason(s) mentioned. I always recommend flying in ahead of time as there are too many items that can come up that can cause you to miss your ship if you fly in the day of embarkation. On top of this it allows you to just have a couple of days to relax before you get on the ship. We have done a couple of pre cruise stay in Miami and one was this past January. We enjoyed our time there.

Keith

We prefer to fly in ahead of the cruise to make sure we make it to the ship on time. However, if this is not a concern, I would see which dates give you the best airfare deals.

We always book add on days precruise. We are energized and ready to begin our vacation the day of arrival in the port city. Lots of excitement and stamina for long walks and touring. Easy to throw a few outfits on the top of one of the suitcases for both of us without unpacking all the other stuff. And as someone said, if a piece of luggage is lost, it has time to make it to you before you cruise. When traveling out of Wis in the winter, too we avoid the stress of bad weather delays.

Once the cruise is completed, we are pretty much ready to head home. Not start unpacking again in a hotel.

If you go in on a Weds or Thurs you might get better air and room rates too.

Archived