Cabin Flowers

pizzalady1

Silly silly question............ any special tricks for carrying on the flowers if from Pike Market??? I'm not sure I want to try to juggle a few huge bundles of flowers and my carry-ons through the entire embarkation process :).

(I know, silly question, but maybe someone has come up with a spifty way to carry them).

Cheryl :)

My DD and I sailed on the Zaandam from Seattle last year, and we purchased a nice bouquet of flowers the morning of embarkation. The bouquet was a generous size (cost $7), and it was more than enough. They were wrapped in the usual florist paper. My DD carried them with no problem, although she used a backpack as her carryon.

The fun began once we checked in at the pier and were waiting for our embarkation number to be called. We had a constant parade of passsengers asking us where we got them, and what special occasion we were celebrating. Well, we were celebrating the cruise, of course!

Once on board, we chose to forgo the usual chaos in the Lido since we had just eaten breakfast a couple of hours prior, and instead decided to have a cocktail at the Lido Pool Bar. Before we even sat down, the bartender told us to make sure that our room steward brought us a vase for those beautiful flowers, and again we entertained more questions from other pax and staff about the "special occasion".

Once the announcement was made that the rooms were ready, we made our way to our room, only to be greeted about 30 seconds later by our room steward with a vase in hand! He saw us enter our room and just brought the vase with him. You've just got to love HAL's staff and crew.

If you are planning on bringing multiple bouquets, I suggest that you bring a shopping bag/tote to make it manageable. It's not spiffy, but it is practical.

Apparently it is quite easy to find lovely flower bouquets in Seattle. Does anyone know if there is a flower market, florist or grocery store where you can buy flowers in San Diego for a reasonable price?:confused:

Edited by lazey1

I am not from San Diego, but I did sail out of there recently and was told that Ralphs was the best place for me to get flowers (I was staying downtown near the gaslight district and Ralphs is right there). There might be a place on the way from the airport to the pier if you are not staying a night pre-cruise.

Have fun!

Cheryl :)

Guess we got shortchanged on the Eurodam this past December. Actually, the freshest flowers came on our room service breakfast trays some mornings. Our cabin steward was so-so, is he the one that places them in your room?

• 4 years later...
and especially the price. For $25 you can buy enough to fill your cabin. I bet the steward could find a few vases for you.

Realize this thread is several years old but still pertinent..

We don't book suites, but enjoy having flowers in our OV cabin.. I often try to purchase flowers in ports..Have not needed to have a steward find a vase for me, as I use the vinyl folding vases.. Have two of them which are only colored in the very bottom of the vase.. Believe I purchased them from Amazon 5 or 6 yrs. ago..

This morning I received an e-mail from Amazon about an 8 pc Miracle Vase set, different sizes for about $20.00..They are colored through & through & much prettier than the ones I have.. Have decided to purchase them as they pack flat & work very well for our cabin flowers .. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029NZ9K2/ref=pe_850220_126054600_em_1p_0_im

P.S. Suggest you prime them before you leave on your trip, as then they will be easier to shape..

Edited by serendipity1499

Apparently it is quite easy to find lovely flower bouquets in Seattle. Does anyone know if there is a flower market, florist or grocery store where you can buy flowers in San Diego for a reasonable price?:confused:

Pike's Market has fabulous bouquets of flowers. They are fresh, beautiful and reasonably priced, You can get a large bunch for moderate cost. Most tourists stop by there anyway so it's fun to roam the market and pick up some flowers.

If someone wants, you can buy collapsible travel vases on Amazon.

When we sail from San Diego, we check in and then head to the Ralph's supermarket. We buy wine, soda, cheese and crackers, and flowers.

I have seen these flat vases at Dollar Tree.

Now my question, we will be in Seattle pre-cruise, then taking the Holland America bus to Vancouver to board the Oosterdam. Can I buy flowers at Pike's Place Market and take them across the Canadian border?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Pike's Market has fabulous bouquets of flowers. They are fresh, beautiful and reasonably priced, You can get a large bunch for moderate cost. Most tourists stop by there anyway so it's fun to roam the market and pick up some flowers.

If someone wants, you can buy collapsible travel vases on Amazon.

When we sail from San Diego, we check in and then head to the Ralph's supermarket. We buy wine, soda, cheese and crackers, and flowers.

Sail & Yuba.. Don't know if you realized it, but this thread is four years old.. You are quoting old posts.. My fault.. See my post No. 33..

I only resurrected it to tell posters about the new Amazon Collapsible vases in full color after receiving an e-mail from Amazon today..

Sorry, but since it was still pertinent , guess I should have started a new thread..:o:o

Edited by serendipity1499

Yes, I did (do) realize it is an old thread resurrected but I'm sure Pike's still sells beautiful flowers and Amazon still has collapsible travel vases. The information is still pertinent. :)

MaryM updated the thread by adding the vases are available at Dollar Store. I didn't know that.

Old threads are worthless if the information has changed with age but when it still applies........

Edited by sail7seas

I have seen these flat vases at Dollar Tree.

Now my question, we will be in Seattle pre-cruise, then taking the Holland America bus to Vancouver to board the Oosterdam. Can I buy flowers at Pike's Place Market and take them across the Canadian border?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes -- but remember it is a long bus -- so keep them in moist newspaper.

If you have little you will have to handle in terms of bags & luggage, it might be worthwhile. Those market bouquets are pretty but not the longest lived flowers. I have bought a nice bouquet for a cruise right from Seattle.

We were in line boarding the ship for a while, by the time we got on the ship the bouquet was already looking tired. It was a 4 day cruise and it didn't even last that before I had to toss it.

How do I find "Ralph's Supermarket" ? We are staying at the Hotel across the street from the Pier.

Helen