Noordam Drydock - What will Hal do?

Azjack

I read in another thread that the Noordam was headed for an impromptu drydock after a world cup charter was cancelled.

What changes can we expect from this type of drydock? will it be just routine maintenance, or does HAL have a set of changes to install?

Routine "spiffing up". Ignore the "non-smoking" bit in this post:

As to location, since Noordam will be in Europe, chances are her dry dock will take place in Palermo, Sicily, one of Fincantieri's (her builder) yards. She alreday has Canaletto so it will be a "routine" dry dock (paint, carpeting, making it a total non-smoking vessel, etc. etc.) Oh, and most of her crew will stay onboard - there is lots to do in a dry-dock period plus she will have guests, i.e. the contractors, several workers, etc. The entertainment dept. staff/shore excursion, etc. might go home

As said -- this will be time for the ship to get a lot of work done -- painting -- they have time to order some new carpeting -- lots of cleaning like the curtains everywhere on the ship, clean carpets everywhere, wash any walls that need it; check to to see what chairs may need to be repaired.

I love the location of the Exploration's Cafe / Internet / Library on the Library. And certainly wished they had left them on the Promenade Deck on the other Vista class ships.

I had not heard that the World Cup use was cancelled. Going into drydock is a good thing. Just returned from a 20 Carib cruise (April/May) and Noordam can REALLY use the facelift. Also some mechanical work on the azipods. TERRIBLE vibrations at any speed above 20 knots.

When is the Noordam scheduled to go into drydock? I don'tknow when the world cup was scheduled so I am in the dark. We will be on the Noordam Roman Empire cruise August 19th to 29th.

She's there now. The World Cup starts soon. Her charter for the World Cup was canceled, sending her to drydock early. She'll be out in time for another charter soon.

When is the Noordam scheduled to go into drydock? I don'tknow when the world cup was scheduled so I am in the dark. We will be on the Noordam Roman Empire cruise August 19th to 29th.

Looks like later this month for general maintenance and upkeep, maybe a hull paint job below the water line. Upon completion, she's scheduled to operate a charter for Moltke, the same Munich-based company that originally chartered her and Westerdam for the World Cup, from northern Europe to the Mediterranean. Noordam will return to her scheduled itinerary beginning on 26 July out of Barcelona, Spain.

Originally thought she'd be going to the Palermo, Sicily yard but then, upon completion, she would sail empty to northern Europe for that charter. Maybe, she's going to a German yard instead. Only time will tell.

No one is telling where she is right now. I wonder if DBA can fill us in!

This map shows Noordam just north of Barcelona, Spain today (big red dot). There's a port there by the name of Masnou with two dry-docks. Just don't know if they're big enough for a ship the size of Noordam

Can't get the map to post; here's the website

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=PHET

I was hoping they'd move the exploration cafe and library to the Crows Nest and make the Crows Nest completely non-smoking as it is on the other Vistas and the Eurodam.

The Noordam Crows Nest is already completely non-smoking.

Smoking is allowed in the Oak Room which is adjacent but a separate room.

I had not heard that the World Cup use was cancelled. Going into drydock is a good thing. Just returned from a 20 Carib cruise (April/May) and Noordam can REALLY use the facelift. Also some mechanical work on the azipods. TERRIBLE vibrations at any speed above 20 knots.

I'm surprised to hear that a four-year old ship needs a facelift. What exactly needs "facelifting?"

I was on the Noordam in November and she looked just great. I didn't notice any wear and tear or anything broken. She was the cleanest ship I've ever been on. I liked the ship so much, I will be doing a Med cruise on her in September.

Archived