What is the best route to get from FLL airport to Key West?

sierra641

I agree with Aquahound about taking the turnpike instead of 95. We've done both and usually have much more traffic on 95. I can't recall the exact amount, but the turnpike won't be more than ~$5.

Definitely DO NOT take 1-95. Simply head west on 1-595 to Florida's turnpike. That part isn't very far. Then turn south on the turnpike. Take it to the end which is in Florida City and juts go straight off the turnpike onto Highway 1. Stay on it all the way to Key West.

The only alternative I would offer is that just at the start of US Highway 1, the road forks to the left for Card Sound Road. You can take that instead. Parts of it are scenic, especially the Card Sound Bridge. But US Highway 1 also now has a very scenic bridge too. You could go to Key West one direction and US 1 going the other way. Anyway, Card Sound Road comes out on US 1 at Key Largo and you will have to take US 1 from there regradless.

Oh, one other thing. Card Sound Road has the picturesque Alabama Jacks famous for its conch offerings. But even if you don't stop there, US Highway has quite a few interesting eateries along the way.

I hope you love this trip as much as I do.

Thanks for all your great information. Are you from the Keys? We are going to stop at Marathon and stay there first. Then go to KW. They did not have a room for us in Key West until later in the week. Do you know of any good places to eat in Marathon?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks! You are so lucky to live where you do. That place should be close we are going to be at Cocoplum. I think thats what they call it. I think it is mile marker 45.

Almost....just switch it. Coco Plum is at the 54. The 45 is right in the middle of the 7-Mile Bridge. The scenery would be good, but the beds would be a little hard. ;):D

Thanks for all your great information. Are you from the Keys? We are going to stop at Marathon and stay there first. Then go to KW. They did not have a room for us in Key West until later in the week. Do you know of any good places to eat in Marathon?

We like Sparky's Landing at Key Colony Beach -- great food and atmosphere!

We live in Marathon. Island Fish Company has good food. No frills, picnic tables right on the Bay side. Great views. Good Happy Hour 3-5pm daily

I'm going to suggest a slightly different way to go. Instead of 595 to the turnpike directly, stay on 595 to the end until I-75 south and it intersects the turnpike further down. Adds maybe 3-4 miles, but it's an easier drive with less traffic.

Also, once you're on US1 in Florida city, consider taking Card Sound Road to get to Key Largo. It's a $1 toll, about 6 miles longer than US1, way more scenic, and less frustrating than jousting with the knuckleheads on US1. Definitely drive it one way on your travel, for the views if nothing else.

I'm going to suggest a slightly different way to go. Instead of 595 to the turnpike directly, stay on 595 to the end until I-75 south and it intersects the turnpike further down. Adds maybe 3-4 miles, but it's an easier drive with less traffic.

Also, once you're on US1 in Florida city, consider taking Card Sound Road to get to Key Largo. It's a $1 toll, about 6 miles longer than US1, way more scenic, and less frustrating than jousting with the knuckleheads on US1. Definitely drive it one way on your travel, for the views if nothing else.

And stop at Alabama Jack's for a cold one!!!!:D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm enjoying the info on this thread!

I'm flying into Fort Lauderdale two days prior to my cruise. I was thinking about heading to Key West for the day.

My hotel is near Fort Lauderdale airport. If I leave around 5 or 6 a.m. about what time would I arrive? I figure stay for about five or six hours and then head back up.

Is it doable or need to forgo this?

Oh, one other thing. Card Sound Road has the picturesque Alabama Jacks famous for its conch offerings. But even if you don't stop there, US Highway has quite a few interesting eateries along the way.

I agree, take Card Sound Road and stop at the fun bar/restaurant out on the bayou, or whatever they call the wetlands in that area. It used to be called something else, can't remember, but it's great fun.

I agree, take Card Sound Road and stop at the fun bar/restaurant out on the bayou, or whatever they call the wetlands in that area. It used to be called something else, can't remember, but it's great fun.

Alabama Jack's:D

Hi can anyone tell me what they think is the best route to get from FLL airport to Key West? Can you also tell me how long you think it might take.

Thanks

Take a cab from FLL to Miami, get on the Majesty of the Seas and you will be in Key West in one day.......:p Thats the BEST way IMO

Archived