CPAP on Carnival Cruise

Schoifmom

We are sailing on the Carnival Sensation in October. My husband uses a CPAP and insists on distilled water for the humidifier (because it extends the life of the filters by not clogging them with impurities found in tap water). Will there be distilled water available either free or for purchase on the ship?

I don't use a CPAP but here's is what I have learned over the years on here. If you MUST used distilled water, then bring your own.

Having said that, when you say "impurites in tap water", I'm wondering what tap water do you find on a ship? A ship does not fill a holding tank with drinking water from a local city and then provide it to you. A ship has it's own water distillation process. Water from a ship is about the closest thing I can image to pure water with no added minerals, vitamins, flouride, etc,etc. Probably why some people don't like the taste.

my husband uses a cpap machine and I just fill several water bottles with distilled water. It doesn't uses that much, so you will need just a few of them. don't forget a long cord as it may not reach from the plug.

Carnival *USED* to supply distilled water. You could get it at any of the bars, in a gallon bottle. I don't know if they still do. Your best bet is to ask on the Carnival board. More and more lines are refusing to help in that regard now.

This past January my friend cruising in my cabin got a gallon of distilled water. She just called room service. It was $4.00 and was delivered in just a few minutes after the request. That was on the Destiny. Personally I dont think a week of "tap water" would hurt it.

half of the time my DH doesn't use the part that holds the water!! He is a truck driver and doesn't want to spill the water in his truck. The tech told him that using the water is so he doesn't get dry nasal cavities. So maybe he can try it without the water for the week or use the water on the ship. A week of the ship water shouldn't hurt his machine.

half of the time my DH doesn't use the part that holds the water!! He is a truck driver and doesn't want to spill the water in his truck. The tech told him that using the water is so he doesn't get dry nasal cavities. So maybe he can try it without the water for the week or use the water on the ship. A week of the ship water shouldn't hurt his machine.

If I don't use my humidifier, and the air is relatively dry, I get extreme hayfever symptoms for some reason. Would easily ruin my vacation.

This past January my friend cruising in my cabin got a gallon of distilled water. She just called room service. It was $4.00 and was delivered in just a few minutes after the request. That was on the Destiny. Personally I dont think a week of "tap water" would hurt it.

This was our experience on our last several cruises: the Dream/Spirit/Triumph.

• 1 month later...

The only thing non-distilled water does is build up deposits in the water tank. It's pretty much like a heater and makes the water a vapor to breath easier. It also removes all the water, and leaves whatever was in the water. Calcium/lime are major problems I have with tap water, and once they "stick" to the metal plate good, there's not really any way to get rid of them besides replacing the tank. I never go more than 2 nights on tap water since it can start forming noticeably then.

The best thing to do would be get some water bottles and reuse those, with distilled water in them before you get to the ship. That'd be good for up for up to a week likely, unless your settings are higher. Any longer than that, and I'd probably just go with getting it on the ship

We sailed on the Valor last November. My husband uses a CPAP with a humidifier. We ordered the distilled water from room service. They delivered a sealed gallon. Cost was less than $4.

Going without the humidifier isn't an option for him. He thought about using the ship water but wasn't sure of the outcome. The $4 was cheap peace of mind for him.

~ Sheryl

We sailed on the Valor last November. My husband uses a CPAP with a humidifier. We ordered the distilled water from room service. They delivered a sealed gallon. Cost was less than $4.

Going without the humidifier isn't an option for him. He thought about using the ship water but wasn't sure of the outcome. The $4 was cheap peace of mind for him.

~ Sheryl

And besides, the OP wasn't asking for advice. They just wanted to know if they could get the dang water. :rolleyes:

And besides, the OP wasn't asking for advice. They just wanted to know if they could get the dang water. :rolleyes:

Why does it even have to be water? I'm not a doctor, so don't take this as qualified medical advice, but as long as you're "on vacation" why not fill the tank with a 20 year-old single malt or a nice chilled margarita mix? Maybe it would corrode the electrodes or something, I don't know. But you can't always stay between the lines.

Archived