Opinions on when to add another passenger, please

Newfun4me

Hi,

I booked our 7 day cruise out of Galveston a few months ago using the ES promotion. We booked two rooms, but we had only 3 confirmed passengers at that time. My husband and I are in one room and our son is in a connecting room. Now, we are adding on a friend for my son, but it's too late to get the ES promotion price. We've already made our final payment, so I just need some advice. The price just dropped a little bit, but I'm wondering if you guys think it is likely to drop more. Should I wait a little longer? I know no one can tell for sure what will happen, but just looking for opinions from people with historical perspective.

Thanks!

Kim

Hi,

I booked our 7 day cruise out of Galveston a few months ago using the ES promotion. We booked two rooms, but we had only 3 confirmed passengers at that time. My husband and I are in one room and our son is in a connecting room. Now, we are adding on a friend for my son, but it's too late to get the ES promotion price. We've already made our final payment, so I just need some advice. The price just dropped a little bit, but I'm wondering if you guys think it is likely to drop more. Should I wait a little longer? I know no one can tell for sure what will happen, but just looking for opinions from people with historical perspective.

Thanks!

Kim

I am in the exact same situation as you Kim (except a different ship) and am eagerly awaiting to hear what the experienced cruisers have to say :)

When are you going?? Maybe its in your signature which I have blocked. Our Sept 25th Conquest cruise OVs dropped a lot. Last weekend senior rates on the next two dates were great, but one already started back up.

Rates do seem to be dropping because of the oil mess imo, but who knows for one particular unknown date. It would be different if you could upgrade if the rates dropped more, but Im assuming you cant because your son's rate is locked in and he needs to be near you.

I am in the (almost) same situation as you also. I booked a Balcony on the Legend, in September. I booked Solo, paying an arm and a leg, and after a couple days, thought about my older sister, that I could treat her and have her in the same room.

Emailed my PVP, she said no problem, I would just have to pay $70.00 more for the port charges (everything else was paid in full), and if the price goes up, I would have to pay the difference. Don't know why, as I had booked the early saver.

I will know in a couple weeks if she can go.

Melanie

Not sure of your cruise experience level or when your cruise is, but remember, this isn't a Vegas or Disney resort with limitless rooms and beds.

A cruiseship is limited to how many people can be on the ship. Max number of lifejackets 2500, max number of passengers allowed, 2500. Doesn't matter how many are in your party, if the ships maxed out, thats it.

I thought if you booked a single room you still paid double occupany rates? So if you paid for 2, even though there was only 1, why would the rates matter...didn't you already pay for 2?

I thought if you booked a single room you still paid double occupany rates? So if you paid for 2, even though there was only 1, why would the rates matter...didn't you already pay for 2?

Ditto. Unless there's something I'm totally unaware of, you pay for double occupancy even if only one is booked.

We are going August 8, just FYI. I appreciate the responses. The reason it matters is that we paid double occupancy rates when we book ES, but only had 1 person listed in the room. Now that we are going to add someone on, we don't get the ES rate. We get the rate for the day we actually call and add her on.

I didn't realize that we might have issues with the boat reaching capacity, so I appreciate that info. I assumed that since our rooms each hold 2, that we would be okay.

Thanks again.

Kim

You will have to pay the current rate on the day you add the second person, that is a fact. When you book a cabin with only one person in it the rate is never protected for the second guest when added later.

If you had booked prior to December 2009 under early saver promotion you would have been protected but then it changed.

Not sure of your cruise experience level or when your cruise is, but remember, this isn't a Vegas or Disney resort with limitless rooms and beds.

A cruiseship is limited to how many people can be on the ship. Max number of lifejackets 2500, max number of passengers allowed, 2500. Doesn't matter how many are in your party, if the ships maxed out, thats it.

Usually the "maximum allowed" falls into play when the 3d and 4th passenger are trying to be added.....I don't think the OP is going to have any problems adding a 2nd pax to their sons stateroom, but if waiting too long, I guess it could be true as you say, just never seen that happen ever.

Usually the "maximum allowed" falls into play when the 3d and 4th passenger are trying to be added.....I don't think the OP is going to have any problems adding a 2nd pax to their sons stateroom, but if waiting too long, I guess it could be true as you say, just never seen that happen ever.

Actually, it could be true that a second passenger could not be added.

Most ships assign you to a lifeboat station based on your location on the ship. If your station is full, it won't matter if only one is booked into a room that can fit two. The total number of 'beds' for that location could be full due to more staterooms with 3/4 passengers in the group.

If you really want to add this friend, I'd get it done sooner rather than later to make sure there is a spot for him.

I have the same situation. We booked a quad room for our family of 3. My son would like his friend to come along but he won't know if he can come until November (depending on a sport he's in) for our February cruise. Its the

Miracle going to Aruba and the ship is pretty full already.

If I pay his deposit and he can't go, I should get my $$ back right? We are going with the Miracle Maniacs so I believe we didn't book early saver rate.

I'm thinking of just paying his deposit, that way if he can go, he'll have a reservation.

Any advise??

Thanks

Archived