Airfare--when to purchase?

Skydrifter

We are exactly one year out on our Emerald Cruise in the Baltic (June 4, 2011). I know I can't get rates right now, but when is a good time to buy? I have mileage to use. Can a TA help you with that or do you need to do it on your own? Thanks for any help.

For best price, I follow all options for about a month, then make a decision based on highs and lows. Generally, the earlier, the better. However, my experience with booking flights very far in advance is that the flight itinerary can change, non-stop to stop overs, change in flight times, etc.

If you are trying to use FF miles, I would suggest you jump on those filghts just as soon as they open up, usually at the 330 day mark. I don't know of any TA's that would assist you booking airfare with frequent flier miles, I am pretty sure you are going to have to do that yourself. Good Luck!

Totos right. My friend got up to book at 5AM on day330 for Luftansa/Swiss using United miles. He had desired first choice itin then plan B. Use foreign airline if possible. They do book up fast. So have a planned itin and call that first day. Call airline direct.

Yes, do not wait, and to give you some first hand experience here. We were trying to fly to Honolulu in February and use our FF miles for first class seats on February 6th or 7th. I did not get online until about an hour after the flights became available on both those days and there were none left. We ended up (as I got up very early that day) being able to grab them for the 8th of February.

Using FF miles, I would give youself a few days before the cruise to attempt to book flights, as sometimes you don't get the original day you are looking to book them, and it is much safer to start trying for a flight a few days before you actually want to be there. If you don't, there could be a lot of disappointment, FF miles seem to be getting harder and harder to use anymore.

Try to get your FF flights as soon as you can. We have used miles in the past for flights to Europe and they are difficult to get.

And even if the ones you need are not available, I found that checking several times a day will pay off. FF flight availability may change anytime.

And be willing to go a day or two early and return later if necessary. We were able to get FF Business Class flights to London by going 2 days early...extra days in London was not hard to take at all.

And don't forget to check for airline partner availability (such as on Star Alliance) also. We got our flights to / from the Baltic cruise using USAir miles on Luftansa...

It seems that I have been extremely lucky from the other responses.;)

I have never booked a flight more than 6-8 months out using ff miles and have always gotten the desired routes.

Maybe I won't be so risky in the future.:D

Mike:)

It seems that I have been extremely lucky from the other responses.;)

I have never booked a flight more than 6-8 months out using ff miles and have always gotten the desired routes.

Maybe I won't be so risky in the future.:D

Mike, have you been lucky with first class or economy? We seem to be able to find economy flights even a few months before the flight date, but it is business and first for International or long haul flights that we have found hard to come by. ;)

Mike, have you been lucky with first class or economy? We seem to be able to find economy flights even a few months before the flight date, but it is business and first for International or long haul flights that we have found hard to come by. ;)

First class for the last 3 years or so; but only twice has it been international and I am sure thinking about it now that they would be more scarce.

Glad this thread popped up, I will be more attentive in the future.

If you book flights on a date, time, or connection that is less than ideal keep checking back until your flight date. As long as the departure and arrival city remain the same, you can change the dates, connections and times on an award ticket for free. From my experience long range premium cabin award tickets are the most difficult and you should start on the initial release time and date. You are better off to book whatever you can as soon as you can and then make changes if something better becomes available.

Archived